Miami Herald State Watson Picks Jets as #1 Destination

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by york61, Jan 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm curious, how do you see JD's handling of FA being different with Watson than without? Either way, they need to build around their QB. The needs on the team won't change. They'll still need a QB, RB, WR, TE, OG (or 2), DE (or two), a #1 CB, an OLB, and a SS.

JD probably does have a time limit. That makes total sense. I could definitely see that, but I'm not certain that it will affect his FA plans. It could, of course, but at the moment, the only way that I could see that it would affect the plans in FA is if they definitely plan on trading Sam. Then, if they don't have Watson, they'd need to sign a FA QB as a stop gap/insurance for the rookie they draft. Is that what you meant?

2. NCJetsfan

No, it's definitely not his goal, but to get out of Houston, I could see him doing it for a year. He's a man of principle, and I think he meant it when he said that he is done in Houston.

3. FinnishJET

FinnishJET 2023 TGG Double FF Champion

Yes, I agree with that. Watson is a elite QB and the odds are that Lawrence isn't going to be at that level, it's possible though. I still would have rather had Trevor and the picks than Watson minus all the picks.

Jets79 likes this.
  4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

A guy that is contractually going to almost triple his career earnings over the next four years probably isn't all that worried about his money being delayed a year.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

It doesn’t hurt them if they aren’t high on the QB prospects, or at least high enough on them that they feel that trading Watson for that prospect is an opportunity they can’t pass up.

6. JetBlue

We aren’t discussing what he’ll make when he comes back to play, the argument is about his sitting out until he is traded which means he won’t see a penny of that contract if they don’t trade him.

7. JetBlue

As I said previously he better damn well be certain they will trade him then, because if they don’t he will be playing for the Texans if he wants that QB money.

8. BroadwayAaron

Well this would all be under the assumption that the Texans are too stupid to realize that hurts them way more than trading him away does. Possible, but not likely.

9. NCJetsfan

Money isn't everything, particularly to a principled person. How many million has he made already? He could never play another down in the NFL and unless he's squandered it (which I doubt), he's set for life, and his kids probably will be as well. IMO it all depends upon his reasons for wanting out of Houston. If it's just stupid football decisions, he could cave and play. If it's for something more personal, or if it is racial in nature, I don't think he'd ever cave. He's a smart guy. There are plenty of other things he could do with his life.

I don't think it will ever come to that, however, as I think the other Houston players and the fanbase will put a ton of pressure on McNair to go ahead and trade Watson. The players have already sided with Watson. They could boycott or threaten to hold out as well. Houston needs the draft picks. If they went into the 2021 season with Watson sitting out and unable to improve the team much through FA and the draft, the Houston media, fanbase and players would be killing McNair.

Jets79 likes this.
  10. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

We now have league executives letting the media know that DeShaun is not for sale by Houston.

They are shaking the tree via the media now. Let's see if Watson shows his face. Watson needs to make his feelings public like Jamal did.

One big difference is that whilst Texan fans don't want him to go. They wouldn't be mad for the player if he does. Easterby is killing the organization that it's almost a toxic faith cult, and they are not blaming any player for fleeing a burning building.

Long may he reign (or until Watson is ours)

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

NCJetsfan and HomeoftheJets like this.
  11. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

12. JetBlue

As i mentioned previously, any negative impact on the organization will be a temporary blip that they have a relatively long period of time to recover from, but Watson has a much shorter window of opportunity to maximize and thus doesn’t have the same luxury of enduring a loss that they do. It’s much more stupid for him to sit out than for them not to trade him. And if they know that it’s worth it for the Texans to wait it out.

13. BroadwayAaron

I think you're severely underestimating what this would do to the Texans for the near future. Yes, like you said, 100 years from now no one will care but I'd be willing to bet there aren't many people who think they should operate under that assumption.

14. JetBlue

True, but that brings us to my other statement — is he interested in simply making whatever money is available to him by not playing QB in the NFL or maximizing the lucrative opportunity of playing QB in the NFL. If it’s the latter, it’s not that money is everything but it’s worth more than any possible principles driving his request.

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Cal McNair probably has every blueblood heavyweight NFL owner in the league urging him to man up and take the hit with a holdout right about now. All of their worst nightmares is probably some wingnut like this dude setting a precedent that turns the league into the NBA.

chandler and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I think the opposite. I think the rest of the league is urging him to trade Watson.

After losing all that money with the Covid situation and losing their credibility with the fans over social situations the last thing they want is an ugly situation where one of the most popular black players in the whole league is sitting out and its in the news daily.

Its never good for them when the owners are the enemy and I think its gonna be pretty impossible to make Watson the enemy here.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. BroadwayAaron

As a fan of an NFL and NBA team who both have incompetent management, I am very on board with holding incompetent management accountable. Worked for the Knicks. KP wanted out, he got out, they ditched Mills/Perry, Dolan removed himself from the basketball equation and now things are finally looking up.

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Not saying it's right. Just saying. And for every Knicks example there is a Spurs example.

19. JetBlue

Not 100 years from now, 10 years from now it won’t matter. But I mean financially. They have a relatively infinite amount of time to recover from whatever negative financial impact Watson never playing again would have, including whatever the financial ramifications of being bad are. Watson doesn’t have that luxury, he has not only a finite amount of time to make up the financial impact but an extremely short period of time to do so.

20. JetBlue

The problem with that analogy is the Knicks terrible management never cost them financially or cost them any fan interest. Fans still came to the games, bought merchandise, etc. the Knicks lost nothing other than not winning, which is never a guarantee anyways.

sports teams are a business and have to be judged on that basis first a foremost.

NYGANGGREEN likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.