Official Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ray Lucas, Oct 22, 2020.

?

Our Next Head Coach

Poll closed Nov 5, 2020.
  1. Eric Bieniemy

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  2. Arthur Smith

12 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. Greg Roman

14 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. Jim Harbaugh

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Joe Brady

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. Other (Please Explain)

7 vote(s)
    13.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

There is multiple ways to win Vilma. Everyone got enamored with Sean McVay, Sean Payton and to a lesser extent the Pederson/Andy Reid tree types. The young scheming HC hyper focused on one side of the ball and trying to trick opponents. It works for the Rams but everyone else is the league is trying to copy that model... (hence the Adam Gase experiment)
    -

Traditionally though, scheming is up to the coordinators. The HC is supposed to be a guy who leads the squad based on emotion makes sure they are up for the game and keeps the team focused. Tricky game plans are up to his coordinators. There's also nothing wrong with keeping things simple and letting players play.

Sean McDermott is a modern day example of the Saleh HC type. Bill Cowher was like that. Marv Levy in Buffalo, Pete Carroll is like that in Seattle... etc. Just as many guys, if not more, win Saleh's way than as a mastermind schemer type

azhar80, Noam and matt robinson 17 like this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

They were short handed big time but they got lit up at times this year.

Points allowed
    Packers - 36
    Seahawks - 37, 26
    Bills - 34
    Cowboys - 41
    Saints - 27

Offense put the defense in some bad spots for sure.
    I'm with you man. He reminds me greatly of the rollercoaster rides Rex used to take the post-conference championship game teams on. Run through a brick wall and beat a team one week, come out flat the next. We'll see. One good thing about Saleh is I imagine he'll assemble a great staff since he can pluck some good assistants from San Francisco's good staff.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'm new to Twitter. How can you tell when an account is not valid?

4. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

All of these guys are strong candidates...I’ll trust JD to make the right choice

5. NCJetsfan

I think Bieniemy might need to seek a college HC job or more likely college OC job and get some experience on his own apart from Reid and Mahomes. I think not calling the plays or running the offense himself is definitely hurting him. Heck, if Reid thinks so highly of Bieniemy, he ought to step back and let Bieniemy call the plays and run the offense to help him prove his worth to other teams so he can get a HC job.

Unless he's been promised Reid's job when he retires, Bieniemy may need to even quit and start over with another team or something, because it appears that the way things are with the structure in KC he'll never get hired. (Either that or he truly is awful in interviews)

Borat, REVISion and Jets79 like this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Lol. Everything you mention except for the Taylor comparison is a plus in my book. We also had 4 first rounder on D for years and never did shit with it. I like a fiery, passionate and strong leader. Plus schemes are coordinator driven, his job as HC is to transform this team into a contender once and for all. Above all, he needs to take the lead across all sides of the ball and create a culture of winning, and not concentrate on specific defensive schemes.

SOJAZ, NCJetsfan and Noam like this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

Hey I'll root for him until the end. I just think there's better options available and that fiery approach doesn't always work as a head coach.

How many 'fiery emotional' coaches are there in the NFL like that? Vrabel? Maybe Pete Carroll? I like a calm Stefanski, Ron Rivera type personally.

REVISion likes this.
  9. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Usually the name of handle is slightly wrong. The name is Bleacher Report 7 and they wouldn’t use a 7 it makes no sense. The handle is also “@bleacherreparod” which probably stands for Bleacher Report Parody

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

Thanks. Good post.

I agree that we have to trust JD. I don't think that means we can't have candidates that we think are the best for one reason or another. I also agree that there's a lot we don't know and probably will never know about assistant coaches. But I believe there are certain things/facts we not only can know, but do know. We not only can, but usually DO know if an OC is the type to be flexible, be able to adapt and not only willing to do so, but DOES build his system around his QB and the talents of the offensive players that he has on hand. Similarly, we can know if a DC designs his scheme (read and react vs attacking, man vs zone, Tampa 2, 3-4 vs 4-3, etc.) around the talents of his players. IMO most coordinators who try to force players to fit into their rigid schemes ala Gase will be failures and should be eschewed. We can know if the are conservative or aggressive. We can know if they use analytics. We can know what kind of experience they have had (Was it all or mostly college or NFL?), i.e., what teams they coached on and how good those teams were, who did they coach under, we can know the players they coached and how well they did with those players, and we can know what position groups and units they have coached (is their experience limited to just offense or defense, or have they coached on both sides of the ball?). I believe those things can give a lot of insights to even us fans. It doesn't mean that we'll necessarily be able to come up with the right answer, however, because we don't get to talk to the candidates or their former employers, and most of us don't have the experience, knowledge or expertise that someone like JD does to wade through all the information and make the best choice.

#1330 NCJetsfan, Jan 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    Noam likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

OK, thanks!

12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

honestly this guy is one of the most mysterious cases I can remember of the last few years. Usually when there is a hot shot coordinator they are at the head coach level pretty quickly. Like I said before, the people making the decisions are connected. Beyond the fact that it’s been reported he’s a terrible interview subject, there must be enough knowledge within the circles about the structure in Kansas City. I just don’t think it’s a coincidence that he has been passed up for two years and potentially will be for a third year in a row while the quarterback coach underneath him is now being mentioned for a promotion.

13. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

There does need to be some passion. We've gone with the lobotomized coaches too many times and it's been disastrous each time (Mangini, Bowles, Gase). Admittedly, passion and attitude can't totally make up for competence; guys like Rex Ryan and Todd Haley prove that. But at the end of the day, we just need a guy who can build an entire team. If he's a passionate guy like Saleh, great. If he's a stoic like Belichick, fine.

14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Smith would be another excellent coach, as Daboll although he is probably Charger bound. Fiery to me means passionate, not asshole like Rex. Rivera to me is passionate by the way. So is BB, fiery and passionate without the stupid mouth.

SOJAZ, NCJetsfan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  15. NCJetsfan

I'm more of a passionate, passion-driven type of person myself, so like you, I like a HC who can be emotional. I don't want one to be a raving lunatic like Rex, but then neither do I want the cold, stoical type like Bowles. A HC has to be himself, but I think he also should adapt to his players. Some teams perform better with a steady, consistent, even-keel approach, while others perform better with more emotional-type approach. Either can work. I like a coach who does some of both. Who doesn't always respond emotionally but maybe picks and chooses his spots, so that when he gets angry his players really take note and buckle down.

Saleh could be an excellent HC, but he impressed me more as a "players' coach" rather than a disciplinarian. Again, I don't think it has to be one extreme or the other, but its best if one is somewhere in the middle. A team has to have discipline so they don't beat themselves with stupid penalties. Players can't show up late for practice every day or sleep in meetings or goof off when they're supposed to be working. The HC needs to be disciplined himself, and impose discipline upon the team. Once one has control, one can always ease up on occasion and show some fun and humanity, but if one doesn't have control, then one cannot suddenly impose it.

I agree that schemes should be coordinator driven, but I think the HC should set the tone not only on what schemes are used, but should insist that they are adapted to fit the talents of the players, and no forcing a square peg into a round hole. IMO the only way a team can have stability is to have a GM and HC in place for a long time and run the same basic systems/schemes. Assistant coaches and coordinators come and go. Hopefully, HCs don't very often.

I agree that the HC must lead the whole team and must be able to relate to all the players. I think the HC creates a culture of winning by using schemes that fit the talents of his players and putting them in position to succeed, by creating excellent game plans, by being able to adjust and use good strategy in games, by the way the team practices (both smart and hard), by their discipline and focus, by positive reinforcement, by insisting upon their best efforts at all times and not tolerating anything less than their best effort.

#1335 NCJetsfan, Jan 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    LAJet likes this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes. The difference is that in the case of actual tanking, you're trying to lose, whereas in the case of resting your starters you're not.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

18. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I'm skeptical of this report considering when he posted this tweet, Gus Bradley was already hired by the Raiders to be their DC.

I would sign up for LaFleur though. I'm not sure how big of a role he played but they were stuck with shit at WR and they constantly made the best of it with some creative scheming. Whether or not that was him or Shanahan, who knows.

19. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Not every one is good at interviews, all that matters he is good coach and can be successful at it. As we found out with Gase, great interview, BAD HIRE!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

True, but most teams put a lot of weight on the interview. Generally, if they don't feel good about the interview, they move on to someone else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.