Criticize Chad today???

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by John127, Dec 26, 2006.

1. John127

John127 New Member

I preface this by saying I like Chad but am fully aware of his limitations as a QB and understand the criticism here at times (like after the Buffalo game).

3 QBs played in this game pre 4th quarter (rain slowed down in the 4th) and none of them threw well. That TD pass to Cotchery was perfect (anyone see the NFL Network replays and analysis of it after the game? - it was just a perfect pass dropped between 2 defenders) and with the game on the line Chad threw and managed the game extremely well. He's not Manning, but if you guys are criticizing him after last night, you've got problems.

In that weather Favre, Elway, real strong-armed guys would have played better, no argument, but give me a break with this critique after a 4th quarter road win (won with the help of Chad's arm, by the way) in terrible weather!

Oh, and Chad, alertly, RAN for 2 first downs!

Today is not the day to criticize. Enjoy this huge win, brought to you by a 1st year HC and and a QB returning from injury who both far exceeded expectations!

#1 John127, Dec 26, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2006
  2. LostInMA

LostInMA Active Member

agreed!
    give the man a break, he's about to lead us to the playoffs!

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

he also became the Jets QB w/ the highest careeer win% and if we win next week he'll become the ONLY Jets QB to lead us to the playoffs 3 times.

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Thinking about it Ken O'Brien also led us to 3 postseasons but he didn't start in either playoff game in '86.

5. JetPulse

JetPulse New Member

Chad did not lose the game for us. And, he was in a position to do just that. This was a game that he struggled. And, yet no actions to make winning it impossible. I'll have to count this as a real victory for those that have believed that Bad Chad would not be the dominating force in Chad's future. I, like a lot of people, understand that Chad is going to have bad days. And, I'd count the game overall as one. What the problem has been is that Chad's mistakes on his bad days have kept us from having a chance. But, with this last game that mold seems to have broken. And, as a Jets fan I can only hope that it remains so. One more game and Chad's the QB in my book.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He's also only the second QB in Jet's history to take over a team that went to the playoffs the season before he took over (Ray Lucas was the other) and was the first ever to take over a team that was well above .500 for the 5 seasons before he took over (Jets were 48-32 from 1997-2001.)

You have to lookat his achievements (and Herm's) in the appropriate context.

Joe Montana was a better QB than Steve Young even though the numbers point to Young. It was the context in which they created those numbers that is the important factor in figuring that out.

7. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

I hate to break up the party - but he almost got coles and washington killed. I appreciate everything that he did and continues to do this year but unless we develop a Baltimore caliber defense - he is not the guy to get us a superbowl victory.

8. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

If Chad had a bigger arm with his spirit, smarts, and the competitior in him he probably would go down as one of the best to ever play the game. But his arm makes it so much harder for him to be successful. When the elements are good he is a very good QB but when you face a really good pass defense or weather like we had yesterday he loses the one second (or one tenth of a second) that you need to be successful. Thats why he almost got a few of our recievers killed last night. Against a weaker D the passes squeak through but against the good defenses they seem to get a hand in there or a hit in just in time to break up the play.

I really like Chad but I do have serious questions about how far he can take us. I think too many pieces need to fall into place for him to win a SB with us.

Right now though this is not the time to worry about our QB situation. Chad is our man this year and I am just enjoying this run and looking forward to see what kind of magic mangini has left in the tank for this team.

9. chinopec

chinopec Member

Dont credit Chad with winning the game. If Miami's defense picks off that pass, we dont have that touchdown and its sad the way he just floats the ball. Just cause Joey Harrington and Lemons didnt play well, thats not a good gauge cause they both suck. Chad will get us some wins but he will never take us far, I said that last year and I say it this year. He threw for 230 yards or whatever it was, but most passes are two or three yards and the receivers or backs makes the play. I will give him a great throw to Cotch but like i said the previous ball should have been intercepted.

10. Don G

Don G New Member

You don't credit the QB with the win. You credit the team. Chad put the team in a position to win. He played well in bad weather, on a visiting field, on xmas, on primetime, against an excellent defense. I can't stand Jets fans who make comments like this. It's such a disrespect to everything that's been accomplished. To say he will never take them far when he's already taken them farther then ANYONE believed they would go this year is just a crock.

11. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

Wow, you would think we lost the game by all the dissecting of Chad’s arm and his play in the game. We won fellas, Chad not only played well, and he made the throws (In the rain!)That you need to make to win a tight game like that .Just like in Tenn. to start the season he led his team to a victory. What’s the deal here? The Jets win a game and it’s the team that won, but if Chad tosses up a bad one its all noodle arms fault (Double standard) that the jets lost. All aboard everybody the Jets Train is leaving the station, Hope you got a ticket.

#11 JUNJOBX2199, Dec 26, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2006
  12. benyitz3

benyitz3 New Member

We had no running game. The Dolphins shut out Tom (super) Brady last week. It was a moonsoon out there.

Chad was heroic, like usual. An absolute winner.

I wish we could trade all the Chad haters to the Giants.

13. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Your name is perfect for this thread.

I've been a Chad fan all along. As of last night, my faith in him is officially shaken. Yes, he is one of, if not the, smartest QBs in football. He is arguably the most talented in terms of selling the play fake. He is the flat out worst at throwing the football.

I don't mind the floaters so much for their velocity, as I do for their results. He is going to get someone seriously injured one of the days.

When Coles got hit last night, I wasn't sure he was going to get back up. That's unacceptable.

It's not even like it was a fluke. This is every damn game. He's even made it a habit to throw floaters on dump passes. Now we've seen early in the year Chad has at least average arm strength. He's never going to throw like Elway or Favre, but he can throw darts within 20 yards. He just doesn't do it.

It's all mental for Chad. His mechanics have been shot since Jacksonville. He's been throwing further onto his back foot every game since then, and it has taken any possible velocity off the ball.

Yes, a healthy Chad, in a leadership mentality last night is our best chance to win. However, without fixing his throwing motion, he's putting guys like Coles and Cotch in the air with no protection.

Not to mention, had the ball not been slippery, he would have been picked off on our critical TD drive. That was a terrible pass.

I still love the player Chad can be. I just fear the player he is.

14. slink88

slink88 New Member

Some of you are insane...I am sorry for you if you can't enjoy everything that Chad brings to the team (especially after a win like last night over the hated Dolphins). I can live with the Chad criticism after games like the Bills and Bears but to have to read some of it today is insane...That's the only way to see it...I guess some people will never be happy to until after a Super Bowl win and then maybe (just maybe) they will stop of a second to think that they should've enjoyed the season...

15. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

While i agree with what you are saying, i do have to cut him some slack because of the weather, like that pass on the TD drive, may have not been so bad if the ball wasn't slippery.

16. chinopec

chinopec Member

Don G please, get a clue. If Miami picks off that pass, everyone would be asking for Chad's head. Why because the experts said we would only win two or three games so we one more games then they said big deal. The team has accomplished alot but be real. Dont live in a fantasy world.

17. slink88

slink88 New Member

Hey Chinopec...I love that you have to say "if..." to come up with criticism..."If that pass gets picked off..."...Please...Enjoy the season and the QB who is giving it to you...You are missing out on the fun this year.

I don't care about "if's" and neither do most people.

18. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

You know, Ill agree that those two passes really hung the receivers out to dry, but this is the age old story of "It happens". I personally feel Al toons career was shortened by all the balls he caught over the middle and got blasted for. But this is the nature of the game. It happens every week and will continue as long as the games played. I would think your confidence would be strengthen by Chad game play in really bad conditions and the ability he showed while converting three major third downs just like he's done all year long. Now keep in mind that I have criticized Chad previously and still have my doubts (Health, longevity, Arm) but he did well under the circumstance

19. John127

John127 New Member

It was a really bad pass, but most QBs have one or two a game. Call me crazy, but that happens to the best of them.

And McCairens deserves a lot of credit for playing D on that pass - it was a game saving play that many receivers can't (or just won't) make.

20. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Chad's best game

This was Chad's best game as a pro. Much more impressive then the vikes game. The 4th quarter was the defining moment of his career. He played below average for 3 qtrs, we were down and he took us his back and made plays to win the game. In the past, he has never done that, just come up big in a big game in the 4th qtr. To hell with stats people, just win and he did that