Not firing Gase now - Could this be Chris Johnson biggest blunder ever?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LAJet, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Dumb ass eh? I know more about football than you ever will.But you already know that.You’re a loser fan standing behind a loser GM who cant handle hearing the truth.

2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Fans assume the chances of Gase getting fired is 99.999 - .0001

Truth is, it's probably closer to 50-50.

Both Johnson AND Joe Douglas has spent too much time kissing Gase's ass, making a 180 look silly. They love Gase, and they see the Jets 2020 sch as the toughest in the league and our roster the worst in the league, making our 2020 outcome highly predictable. Add in covid and almost zero TC. And the injuries. Gase has too many legitimate excuses.

Johnson/JD STILL haven't seen our team at full strength. With Sam, Becton, Mimms, Perrimen, Perine, Zuniga, (Bell) and others injured for all season or significant time, it's hard for them to pin this all on Gase, like our fans love to do.

We could easily see a mini-repeat of 2019 where our squad at full strength pulls off some dramatic wins. And if that happens, JD will be forced to keep Sam and use our high picks to surround him with targets (and interior offensive lineman). And if that happens, they could very well keep Gase for continuity going forward (and avoid paying yet another HC millions).

Sam will be HIGHLY motivated to win a few games, and knock Trevor Lawrence out of the equation. It's really his only path to a big 2nd contract (vs the Josh Rosen treatment).

And if that happens.....

3. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Gase always gets excuses...

4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Ideally not, but who really gives a fuck? I had no idea who had worse point differential before. If going 0-16 allows to draft a great QB though and 1-15 doesn't, we will be fucking ourselves in a violent way by winning that one game.

Speaking of Dallas, with Dak they had #1 offense. Dak goes down, offense puts up 3 points before garbage time TD to make it 10.1 guy at QB position makes enormous difference. Enormous. IN 1999 Jets was favorites in Vegas to win SB. The second Vinny goes down in game 1, we were lucky to finish 8-8. That #1 pick gets the guy.

Think of it like this, if Manning say came out in 1997, and we had him through all these coaches, Rex, Mangini, Parcels, it is overwhelmingly likely we win SB. Think back to Sanchez guiding the team to finals. Imagine this was Manning. Even in 2008 we finally got a decent play from Favre and were actually leading AFC with 8-3 record before he tears the shoulder and we do not even make play-offs. This one guy makes a huge difference. Even the Colts. They were 3-13 team for 2 years in a row, and 1-15 a few years before that. Manning comes in, make two SB, win one, bunch of divisional titles, play-offs almost every year. 1 guy. The guy which was touted about as much as the one we currently have draft position to get.

5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

The premise of this question is entirely wrong, particularly point A. I already said this many times, you can call it whatever you want, tank, building through the draft, etc, but JD is not throwing money in until core is in place via draft. Last year defense carried the team. If you check, even during second half of the season offense was still good for the worst in NFL, though it was better than in the first half. This year JD didn't pour any money into defense, and traded away Adams, who demanded large contract JD was not ready to give. Defense got worse. He did upgrade the talent in the offensive line to better protect Sam and drafted a WR in 2nd round, who got injured.

Gase, who is basically a glorified OC, is just doing the best he can with what he has. And offense is once again the worst this year, even worse than last year. Whether it is due to Sam regressing, Gase not inspiring the team, talent, whatever it may be, they are playing like total shit. Without great defense to bail them out, Jets season is already lost, and we are in the tank mode, whether Gase wants to win or not. He is not trying to tank. He just sucks. Won't see him back next year. But this year, I think it would be a mistake to fire him, since we may wind up winning an extra game without him, which can cause draft position.

This has nothing to do with election, Gase being in on anything, or him returning. He just sucks, and we need to suck now to get Lawrence. That's why he may be here for at most 10 more games. As simple as that.

#165 Borat, Oct 20, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    SOJAZ likes this.
  6. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

You're talking about some rookies and new faces, some of which have been missing-in-action since training camp. Even when they get back on the field, it will be 4-6 games before they are actually playing near 100%, just because they have to get used to the plays, the tempo, etc. That means that if we see all these guys back on the field by week 9 (that's November 9th, Monday night game vs Pats), so they one game under their belt before they get to regroup during the Jets' bye, the roster could, conceivably, be at full strength for the last two games of the season, against the Browns and Pats.

What odds do you give this team of winning those two games, even at full strength? I don't think either team is going to be 'resting their starters', it looks like they'll both be fighting for a playoff spot.

7. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

So glad we hired Mike McCarthy instead LOL

8. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Many teams have gone 0-16 - fine by me - but worst in point differential ? That would be infamous. The Jets can go 0-16 but I have an issue with them being the worst team of all time. If you're going to be a horse manure shoveler, be the best horse manure shoveler you can be.

SOJAZ and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  9. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Actually only 2 teams have ever gone 0-16:

Lions
    Browns

10. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Great company, LOL. I'd settle for 1-15 and the #1 - could be possible.

Falco21 likes this.
  11. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Adams won a couple games last year on his own. Lol. Gase is not the answer as you say. But I think they both thought we would be better, even delusional to think potential playoffs. Yes Gase is bad coach. A lot goes into stinking this bad, Injuries, and misled high expectations, and poor effort. Not For one minute, do I think JD thought we would be 0-6. As you suggest he planned a tank, by not spending. I really think he thought with the draft of young players we would be competitive esp with another year of the offensive guru. He was misled by BS 7 wins, instead of seeing the dysfunction from end last season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SOJAZ likes this.
  12. Sack exchange

The same ole jet way, dubious distinction.

13. JustinDaseezin

JustinDaseezin Active Member

What about Jachai Polite? Every said do not draft this guy. What did Macc do? Draft him. Glad he's gone.

Jets79 likes this.
  14. Sack exchange

Dallas looked like poo last night, but no where as bad as us!

SOJAZ likes this.
  15. Sack exchange

When you draft a higher pick and he can’t make the team out of camp, their is major issue!

Jets79 and JustinDaseezin like this.
  16. JustinDaseezin

Yes some were good. Some were not. My point was that none of them became Peyton Manning. Vick was really really good... but didn't have the accomplishments of Manning.

17. Sack exchange

I read that we may keep Gase to develop Lawrence!

18. To be fair, Based on his comments post draft Gase seemed to like Polite quite a bit too. As we’ve learned he’lll find a way to avoid shining praise if its a player he doesnt like. He was pretty detailed in targetting Polite pre draft. He may have been the one thing he & Macc agreed about in retrospect.It was GW that wanted no part of him,which is why he got so little opportunity in Florham Park.

19. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

With the right coach,draft picks,and free agent signings we could turn this around next season.But will it happen?doubtful...

20. JustinDaseezin

To your first post, I wouldnt re-sign Darnold now, and I dont think Darnold has the leverage to force a deal. So keep him on the roster, and if he looks promising next year, then re-sign him. If he looks like a miss, trade him. You still have James Morgan who I feel they are developing while they keep him off the active roster. Just my feeling on why the rookies aren't playing.

To your second post, my main point was that Peyton Manning was a once in a life time player. Top of his class that lived up to the hype, and actually exceeded the expectations. But through your point, you still admit that we need an OL. I think we need an OL and DL.