Jets let Bell go

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

The move was off the cuff, not well thought out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MDJets, barfolomew and ouchy like this.
  2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Except Gase didn’t get him the job. All reports were JD didn’t want it, had to be begged, and demanded a 6 year contract to just take it. Nothing about that behavior reflects any sort of feelings of obligation to Gase on JD’s part.

barfolomew likes this.
  3. JetBlue

How you feel about the move is not what we are discussing. We are discussing your specific claim that it wasn’t done with any cap implications in mind.

barfolomew likes this.
  4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

If Bell tears his acl after week 10 we'd owe him another 8 million dollars next year.

Is there another cap implication I'm not aware of?

barfolomew likes this.
  5. Sack exchange

Well if the case, that is sure to be consideration, but releasing him exactly yesterday was off the cuff move! Maybe they planned it before bonus kicked in. But that was few weeks away.

6. JetBlue

I’m no NFL contract expert but if a team picks him up off waivers they assume his contract, and the injury clause, and the Jets simply take a $4 mil cap hit next season, no?

if he clears waivers, and signs a new contract, his offset clause simply makes up the difference the new salary and current salary, but I haven’t read where the injury clause survives and the Jets are still on the hook after he signs a new contract and gets injured playing for another team.

reading further, the injury clause does not survive so there goes that premise. Cutting him helps them avoid that $8 mil next year.

#186 JetBlue, Oct 14, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  7. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

To be clear, if Bell suffered an injury that kept him from playing next season we would owe him another 8 million. There is not cut off date. I used the ACL and week 10 to demonstrate a possible scenario of this.

So there is a slight chance we could have saved 8 million. On the downside its a total give up on the season and the another dagger in Sam's back. GMs that do this kind of stuff are the GMs whose offers get last consideration because nobody really wants to play for them. Don't think Trevor's agent wont advise him about this. He is going to want a massive contract to play for us.

JD has revealed himself as a reactionary amateur and our FA bait will suffer the same way Sam will suffer.

8. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

No that is your premise and that is not what I'm alluding to. JD took the job because he thought since Gase asked/begged him , he felt they would make a good team. It's not that JD felt he HAD to take it because Gase asked. It was more like ' yeah cool, I think we can both make a go of this, we're on the same page".

The fact is , based on what has taken place up to know, we can see that JD is only reacting to what Gase wants. Gase is more powerfull than we can imagine. He got Mac fired, had a part in getting rid of Adams and Bell. Not the other way around. JD will not fire Gase or go to CJ and recommend it. It'll have to be strictly CJ's decision.

EDIT: My prediction : Gase will be gone at the by-week.

#188 BomberJet, Oct 14, 2020
    SOJAZ likes this.
  9. Lawrence can ask for as massive of a contract as he wants too bad his salary will be slotted

ouchy likes this.
  10. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

There is a rookie wage scale, he can't demand anything until the end of his rookie deal.

ouchy and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  11. JetBlue

If JD felt they made a good team, and took the job to work with Gase, why did Gase have to beg him? Again, your conclusion —that he wanted to work with Gase, doesn’t flow logically from the premise you, yourself, presented — that Gase has to beg him to take the job. Those two inherently contradict one another.

that’s not my premise, that’s what was reported. JD turned down the job, had to be begged to take it and demanded a 6th year to his contract to do so, none of which logically flow from your premise that he took the job because he wanted to work with Gase. Clearly working with Gase wasn’t enough to get him to take the job on its own merits by his own behavior.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  12. BomberJet

I use the word beg as point to say that Gase was trying to sell JD a product, nothing else. If the word BEG bothers you , then whatever.

No , you are putting words into my mouth. I never said JD turned the job, who said that? You seem to be doubting the fact the Gase paid the visit?

The fact that Gase did go to JD's home, (there is a source in the media that does know this to be true), there was a conversation, obviously. Do you agree with this? If not, there is no point in going further.

This is the gist of my point about JD supporting Gase's ineptness. Gotta better reason?

13. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

I’m not pinning it on JD solely. However he
    Is indeed involved in this move. If somehow the powers that be had let Gase go too, we all might feel better.

BomberJet likes this.
  14. JetBlue

You used the word beg for a reason, because the reports are that he turned down the job and had to be convinced to take it, and then demanded a 6th year to do so. All of which run contrary to your now attempt to reframe that as simply a friendly visit and the friendship was what drove his decision. It clearly didn’t.

15. LeanMeanandGreen

LeanMeanandGreen New Member

They wasted Bell. I think he's got some years in him and will do alright elsewhere.

16. BomberJet

You mis-interpreted - I don't what your point is. as to why JD is on the side of Gase....

I'll make it plain and simple - Gase and Douglas are joined at the hip. My opinion. Your are making this more complicated than it should be. JD will not fire Gase, only CJ will pull the trigger on that move, my opinion

That's what these forums are for , to share information and opinions. If you disagree fine by me.

EDIT: If in fact you say it was not decided based on the so called 'friendly' visit. Then you must have inside info that we do not know about. I have many quotes from many sources that disputes your point. Gase was a Jet , JD was not. Gase drove to his home to have a discussion. What took place during that moment , who knows. This is my interpretation as to why when Gase barks, JD listens.

My view. If you have something better to explain why JD has not recommended Gase to be canned, tell us.

#196 BomberJet, Oct 14, 2020
    Sack exchange likes this.
  17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

While I already explained why dumping Bell was not a terrible thing to do, another way to think about it like this. Not a single team in NFL was willing to offer even a slightest asset, even a late first rounder for Bell even with Jets eating some of the money. Yes, there will be several teams, which will want to sign Bell for minimum, but literally no one wanted to pay him or give up anything at all to ensure they get him. This Bell release is simply no big deal. He asked to be traded/released, got his wish, didn't contribute much here, rookie will now play more. No biggie.

SOJAZ likes this.
  18. BomberJet

Understood for sure. I think though Gase initiated the move. It seems like if Gase says 'boo' JD jumps.

papapump and Sack exchange like this.
  19. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

Fear not good people! 2020 Pulitzer prize recipient Manish Mehta will save us!

HomeoftheJets and Sack exchange like this.
  20. Sack exchange

They knew we would dump him desperately. So why give asset. We overpaid and did not want to inherit the absurd contract Macc gave. That’s all. He will be employed by end of week. Our gift to contending team! With bow. Hope he showcases, I thought Le’Veon had potential but Gase pooed on it!

#200 Sack exchange, Oct 14, 2020