Top 10 Reasons for hope in 2020

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Dec 27, 2019.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

1) we improved from 4-12 to 7 wins.
    2) Jets are 6-2 in the last 8 games.
    3) players back from injury include (maybe) enunwa, mosely, (maybe) williamson, cashman, herndon, edoga
    4) some banged up players will be healthy like adams, Q, and others
    5) crowder set a career high in catches and could set a career high in yards with 82 on sunday
    6) Darnold is 6-5 on the year when relatively healthy. not including the mono game we lost by a missed FG
    7) Darnolds/Jets stats last 7 games :
    5-2 record (T-3rd in NFL) 167 points scored (T-11th) 142 points allowed (10th) Sam Darnold, last 7 games: 7.6 yards/attempt (T-10th) 12 TD (7th) 3 INT (T-6th) 13 sacks (T-9th) 96 RATE (10th)
    Puts him top 10 in pretty much everything and a 4-1 TD to INT ratio. our offense as a whole is also top 10ish in that span and we played some tough defenses like pitt and balt.
    8) a full offseason for Joe D to draft and sign players plus an extra 3rd round pick
    9) sam being in year 2 of a system
    10) because as jet fans, we love being hopeful and getting let down and that won't change

#1 GasedAndConfused, Dec 27, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  2. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

We’ve regressed in every major offensive category from last year the only difference is for our record which is clearly a product of the schedule and Gregg Williams D.

The only way we improve is because Joe Douglas had a very good offseason, which we don’t know for certain.

I've grown tired of rationalizing the terrible moves this organization makes and it’s pretty apparent Gase makes this team worse not better. Combine that with the fact that we don’t have talent at most of the important positions, I don’t see us being good for a long time.

3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Silver Linings Playbook.

The Top Ten Reasons we suck is an easier list to compile.

CBG and Jets69 like this.
  4. GasedAndConfused

over the whole season yes, however over the past 7 weeks (2nd half) our offense is way better then it's been since we have had favre or maybe the 1 year with fitz.
    considering the o-line issues, the injuries, missing sam for 3 weeks. and a new system and young QB it's understandable. the strides we have made in the 2nd half are pretty good. top 10 in most major offensive categories

Mogriffjr likes this.
  5. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

4 games of last year Darnold was the best qb in football. We aren't better. We are better than the first half of the year. He hasn't got anywhere near his stats from that 4 game stretch. Fact is he is worse now than he was at the end of the year last year.

Noam, Jets69, Ralebird and 1 other person like this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

last year he had a good 4 game streak to end the season. this year he had a good 8 game streak to end the season. both years he was learning a new system behind a shaky o-line with not a lot at the skill positions. next year he'll be comfortable in the system and hopefully have better players around him.

Footballgod214 and Brook! like this.
  7. J-Raw24

I hope your right. He was better last year still. Make you wonder if Gase is holding him back. He does need help, especially on the line. But he also needs better play calling and someone who knows how to make adjustments. Being great on first drives is nice but there are still over 3 quarters of football after that.

Brook!, papapump, Ralebird and 2 others like this.
  8. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

It's hard not to look at the negatives , with all questionable coaching, and Gase being lambasted practically every game. But the obstacles he had to go thru , with Darnold missing 3 games and using a 3rd string QB, not to mention 18 players on IR, one would like keep it all on a positive note for next season.

If they can retain G. Williams, it would greatly add to the optimism.

#8 BomberJet, Dec 27, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    hornblower likes this.
  9. The kind of QB that Darnold is, the second year mixed bag is almost to be expected. Regardless of who the HC is he's still rounding out his game. He has a unique playing style & skill set. The struggles he's having remind me alot of Big Ben before the light went off in his development as well as the Steelers realizing they needed to build an offense that suited his strengths. Thats something ive been preaching to do w. Sam since day 1. Let's give him an OL that get a good initial surge so that he can get a good base under him, let's get WR's w. catching radius who can Sam can throw it up to on extended off schedule throws.

He needs to start hitting on some of these downfield throws. It's not a matter of poor accuracy or lack of arm strength. It's throwing w. a good base & just straight up execution. He's really close. If Douglas takes care of business this offseason we could see a Massive jump from Sam.

10. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I’m already looking forward to the 4 minutes and 28 seconds of game time that Enunwa will be involved in 2020 prior to being placed on IR for the season.

Sec124DieHard and Brook! like this.
  11. J-Raw24

I agree. I have a lot of hope for Darnold. He really has talent and if he get help I think he could be something special. I also have hope for Douglas, tired of GMs who know nothing about football. Hopefully Douglas build a good offense around Sam and we eventually see success. I just don't think Gase is the answer. We could end up in the same situation as Dallas. One of the most talented offenses in the League with bad coaching.

12. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The OL will finally get a makeover. Will that makeover result in an improved OL? TBD.

tomdeb and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

The two reasons to be excited are an offseason with a coach that values am the qb first and foremost on the same page as the gm and a promising qb going into his 2nd year in the same system. We haven’t had both at the same time for a long long time.

101GangGreen101 and Brook! like this.
  14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The main reason for me to be hopeful is that at no time, not even during the darkest times this year, the NYJ stopped from giving it all and did not mail it in. The team played hard and fought every battle, the second and third stringers came to play and some were a very pleasant surprise. I am now much looking forward to purging once and for all all the dead weight of those highly paid free agents that have not contributed diddly shit. I want to erase the memory of the many blunders committed thru the last eight years of drafts.
    Defensively, IMO, we were much, much better with less talent. Offensively is kind of a wash. Sam has not taken the big step forward yet, the OL to start out the season was a mess, an absolute disgrace. Play calling was nothing stellar, and second half performance was below average with a combination of poor execution and questionable play calling.
    On 2020 all the eyes are on the Offense and Gase play calling. Forget the improvement comparisons to previous years for 2020. We need to make the playoffs and be a force to contend with. Screw the rest.

#14 LAJet, Dec 27, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The three things I can look forward to at this point:

1. Douglas proving that he's as good as his resume suggests and significantly upgrading the talent, primarily the OL, WR, and Edge.
    2. Darnold improving.
    3. Gase either significantly improving or getting fired.

4jetfans, Noam, IIMeanDeanII and 5 others like this.
  16. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

To quote Meatloaf, “Two outta three ain’t bad”. Gase is hopeless.

17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I absolutely agree on this, Sam's deep ball is below average and I would consider it his biggest weakness right now. He needs to watch the tape and continue to develop his fundamentals. I wish people would stop comparing him to Rodgers, he's more Romo than anything else. Decision making (take what the defense gives you in certain spots) and deep ball once he gets that along with an o-line, this league is fucked.

4jetfans and GasedAndConfused like this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

yeah his deep ball is the weak part of his game, which sucks because of robby's skill set. we have missed out on a lot of huge easy TDs due to it. I hope he improves that. it's really the only weak point in his game physically. mentally he needs to cut down on turnovers and learn when to throw it away but his 3 INTs in the past 7 games is pretty promising.

FWIW baker is the lowest rated qualifying QB in the NFL this year. if that holds the final week, he'll be the 3rd browns QB to have that title in the past 12 years. he's also 2nd in the NFL in INTs behind winston and his massive 28 INTs. and that is with landry, ODB, and a good o-line and run game. I'm really glad they took baker and we got darnold.

19. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

So many great points in this thread. I am cautiously optimistic. Let’s see what this offseason brings.

20. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

For now, there's hope that there will be a plan for the draft other than BPA.