Adam Gase Thread (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Sep 16, 2019.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Pretty solid week for the "we finally got away from Adam Gase" crew. Tannehill (3 TDs) and Drake (4 TDs) along with Parker (2 TDs) who got himself a nice contract after finally being used properly.

Quick reminder on Parker: he was a healthy scratch under Gase. One year removed, he's having a career year in a statistically better offense than Gase's.

Noam likes this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Where does you Gase love come from? What else can you judge his supposed stable personality and coaching style from? Reports, and press conferences.?

Where are you getting your supporting arguments from? Do you play for the Jets? Do you have some other inside source that the rest of us don't?

You're just trying to dismiss something you don't - or won't - understand. In the end, it's all opinions.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

No. I'm not drawing conclusions on his coaching style based on press conferences.

My whole argument is let's wait and see what he does when he has more than a college roster in his side. And he's done some good things with said roster. And he's done some bad things.

He's had some success in the NFL. He's also had a terribly difficult time with QB injuries since becoming a head coach.

I like how not whipping out the pitch fork 14 games into his tenure with 10+ backups starting means I love him.

FJF and Attackett like this.
  4. BroadwayAaron

So one year with an offense inside the top 20 in his career as an OC or head coach and that's what we should pay attention to instead of the other five where his offenses have been abysmal? Are we supposed to believe he just has really bad luck? He must be the unluckiest coach on earth.

Ralebird and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

What I'm saying is, let's see until he has less than garbage in THIS offense before we make snap judgements about someone who has really nothing to work with HERE. Miami had so much talent that they traded away half the roster for draft picks. That shows you how talented they felt that team was.

Darnold is improving despite nothing around him.

If we fire him, who do you think we should hire that justifies putting Sam in his third system in three years in the league? Look how well that sort of the over worked for Alex Smith, Marcus Mariota, etc.

6. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

This offseason will have at least 8 HC openings including the Giants & Cowboys. I’m not sure I’d feel real good about getting a great HC prospect with so many openings and after firing a HC after one season with a crazy amount of injuries.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  7. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Would you call the Jets sucking for roughly 50 years lucky or unlucky?

The reality is we just kiss the balls of any coach who's willing to work for the NY Jets. This is the worst ownership and fan base in the NFL. The fan base is so full of losers they are willing to fund a twitter ad scamming them as a go fund me page to get a HC in his first year fired for doing nothing other than take a terribly constructed NFL team full of injuries to a 5 win season after the GM was shit canned after FA and the draft.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  8. BroadwayAaron

Your argument for Gase here ends up being a huge reason why we shouldn’t trust this guy at all. You say they traded away half of their roster for draft picks, yet the offense is ranked higher and performs better than Gase’s offense last year

SOJAZ likes this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

And they'll finish three games worse at minimum. So what's the point? The only offensive player truly thriving is Parker, who was on the injury report for most of his tenure in Miami.

Tunsil is an absolute penalty machine. Ajayi is a loser. Kenyan Drake is doing essentially the same thing he did under Gase while destroying a team that's quit on their coach yesterday.

Did you watch the Titans game? Tannehill played horrible in the first half and even worse until Henry came back in the third quarter. Super impressed as he racked up yards against the 28th ranked pass defense.

10. BroadwayAaron

If we're going to base opinions off one game then you should bring up Drake and his 4 TDs. But we aren't gonna do that because it's foolish, so instead I'll point to Tannehill's entire tenure as a starter:

6-2 record, 266 ypg, 70% completion, 17 TD, 5 INT, 4 rushing TD, 3 FL (so 21 TD and 8 TO total)

He's thriving now that he's away from the QB whisperer. Makes you wonder what Gase exactly whispers to these guys.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

I like how we ignore Drake's 24 carries for 68 yards in his two previous games too. It's easy to cherry pick when they have a good game and use it as ammo. We can both do it.

He's playing well right now. He's playing only slightly higher than his career numbers though, with the best runningback in the game. Are we going to act like that doesn't matter?

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

it was the greatest offense in history. literally. but yeah, it was top 20 too lol

13. BroadwayAaron

I didn’t ignore it. When I brought up Drake I specified this week. I didn’t say he’s thriving without Gase. We can go around in circles all you want about Tannehill but the evidence is staggering.

14. BroadwayAaron

My point exactly. One year he had the best offense (with a HOF QB and star receiver in his prime) and since then hasn’t cracked the top 20. It’s almost as if his entire reputation was built off one year and we were the only team dumb enough to buy it after he was prove to be a fraud for almost 5 years.

Ralebird, ColoradoContrails and SOJAZ like this.
  15. BrowningNagle

how the hell is Kenyan Drake an indictment on Gase??

Gase drafted Drake and liked him so much he traded away his pro bowl running back so Drake could start. If anything that's something Gase got right.

16. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Tannehill had a better than 67 percent completion percentage and a QB rating of 93.5 in his first season under Gase and went 8 and 5. He had a devastating knee injury and in 11 starts on a bad team still had a QBR of 92.7 and a completion percentage of 64.2.

Is your contention that Tannenhill after 8 games is now the best QB in the NFL because he doesn't have Gase? Is it possible that Tannehill is going to revert to his mean of a QB rating in the low 90's and completion percentage around 65% that he had with Gase? Don't you think after 3 straight games of completion percentages above 77 that his 61.1% this week might be closer to his mean?

I've seen a lot of crappy NFL QB's come off the bench and perform really well for awhile. Anointing Tannehill as the best QB in the NFL because he had a very hot stretch seems almost as crazy as your suggestion that he was awful under Gase. He wasn't awful he was good with Gase.

17. BrowningNagle

tannehill sucked mostly this week anyway until garbage time .... pretty petty little game here, watching Ryan pansyhill every week and rooting for him so we can go on the internet and stick it to Jets fans.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  18. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I'm not a big fan of Gase, but it's almost like having talent is important to being successful. There's only one or two coaches in the NFL that can make chicken salad out of chicken shit and that's because he's been coaching there for 19 years and has a system in place. Oh yeah, he also has one of the best QBs to ever walk on a field (even tho he's a system QB)

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Don't forget that his 16 game average is 24 touchdowns to 14 interceptions on 65.5% completion percentage and 7.5 yards/attempt.

Totals were 13-11 as a starter, 36 touchdowns to 21 interceptions. I don't really know where everyone is seeing this vastly improved player. I'd imagine because they're not actually watching the games.

Tannehill beat up some bad defenses while playing with the hottest runningback in the game. When Carolina stopped Henry he reverted to throwing a couple picks and a lot of nonsense yards.

20. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I thought Tannehill was a nice QB before he got that devastating knee injury. The guy completed a nice percentage of his passes, threw a great deep ball and had a winning record with Gase. I always thought decent starter not an elite NFL QB. Under Gase his YPer went up along with his completion percentage. He had a devastating knee injury. He's healthy, he's got a good team around him and he's doing well. If the argument is that Tannehill is now the best QB in the NFL which he's stats over a handful of games shows him to be make the argument.

That's not the argument Sam is making. He's argument is Gase held him back from achieving his status of elite NFL QB. Maybe Gase and his other coaches including Philbin gave him a good foundation? Maybe TN is benefiting from Tannehill having a good foundation and a good surrounding cast. Maybe TN's coaching staff ruined Mariota and lucked into Tannehill? There's a lot of arguments that can be made to fit any scenario anyone wants to make.

To me Sam looks better under worse conditions than last year. I think he's learning the position and getting a good foundation. I think if you hated the hire of Gase you hate Gase as the Jets HC. That's a reasonable position. The shit about Tannehill as a reason to reinforce that position is just made up nonsense.

Acad23 likes this.