Is Young Overrated?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joe Willie White Shoes, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

Believe it or not, I'm a huge Young supporter that agrees with you. If the media and messageboards are any indication, NY doesn't want VY. There are way too many negatives here for most people to succeed. It's kind of a self-defeating attitude for the media and fans to take, because it makes it so hard to build a champion. VY will be better off in some smaller backwater town, where his faults will be ignored and his strengths will be magnified. Kind of like Indianapolis to Peyton Manning. Peyton had a fairly bad first season and a half, but the Indy media and fans hardly said anything. You can sure as hell bet that VY will not get that type of grace period. Since I like the guy as a person and player, I'll be glad to see him succeed somewhere else. It'd be great if the Chargers could trade Rivers and their First Rounder to some sucker in the top of the draft (as long as it's not us) and then take Vince. The people in San Diego don't seem to have emotions in general...they are kind of weird.

2. Mexican Buc

Mexican Buc Well-Known Member

My responses in Bold.

3. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I do think Young is a boom or bust player. I thought Carson Palmer based on skill set was the best NFL prospect at QB since Elway (From my point of view, Lienart is not close to Palmer in terms of an NFL QB prospect coming out). Now 3 years in he started to produce and put the Bengals in a position to compete for a SB. He now has a crippling injury. He probably comes back and performs at a high level but there is serious doubt. Certainly Pennington has been a complete bust up till now because of injuries as have several other players. Pennington and Palmer were two safe picks. In Pennington?s case his injuries have crippled the Jets chances to become serious contenders both on the field and financially. The jury is still out on Palmer.

The NFL in general has been set up to create mediocrity. It takes extreme luck to break out of the pack. The Rams became SB champion largely because they lucked into the best QB in the NFL for a couple of years. The Pats became SB champs 3 times in large part because Bledsoe got wiped out and they found the best player in the NFL sitting on their roster in Bradey. Pittsburgh which was always a solid team became SB Champs in large part because they had a QB fall to them in the draft who while not the most accurate pocket passer in the league has the uncanny ability to make plays in scramble situations.

What I'm getting at is if you want to break out of the pack you have to have the balls to risk being great. There are no safe picks in the NFL because players get injured or overwhelmed by the situation at hand. To me Young is worth a high pick precisely because he is a boom or bust player. I don't believe Leinart or D'Brick even if they reach their potential will have the impact to separate the Jets from the pack and make them a SB team. On the other hand if Young reaches his potential he may be the caliber of player that can break down teams and lead us to a SB? There is no such thing as a safe pick. If you want to be great you have to be willing to take a chance to be great.

4. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

Another excellent post from one of the most (if not the most) knowledgable and consistently on the money posters at this site.

5. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Hard to argue with this, let me know where to send the check.

6. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

You think?

I'm one that believes every QB has a different motion and it pisses me off when they drop a QB's value cause he doesn't throw like a Vintage QB on film.

I think Young is an incredible athlete. But does he have what it takes from the shoulders up?
    The way I see it, if he can't run the Offense mentally then he'll rely on his legs.

While that may get you by in college, in the NFL it doesn't cut it.
    SEE: Vick

7. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Excellent post, if we fear to take risks to potentially have a greater franchise, then we will never win a SB in our lifetime, we all know Young's potential is much greater than either Leinart or Cutler, and while he is a project that may have to wait 3 years, we aren't going to be SB contenders that soon anyway, Leinart is the the safest pick, however probably has the least potential out of the 3. That said even if he reaches his peak potential he would need the most out of the 3 in terms of supporting cast if the team that gets him wants to amount to anything. Cutler is a bigger risk, however he has shown toughness with the bad teams, the thing is we don't know how he would do with a good team, that is a total mystery, with that said at best he is the next Brett Farve. and with VY if he reaches his potential we wouldn't need as much as the other 2 because of the ability he has, he is the only one of the 3 that can take control of a game by himself if he needs to. With that said no matter how safe the pick is like WB said he could fail, and we are stuck anyway regretting what could have been, and even worse in 5 years the best QB of this draft may not even be any of these 3, that is the craziness of the draft. With that said we don't know how any of these QBs will do, just remember the Eagle fans booed when they picked McNabb and he got them to a SB, and 2 other NFC championship games, while the other high QBs with him ended up being nothing. I would rather have the team gambling for a SB and failing then have a mediocre QB where we are more or less stuck where we are now.

8. borna'horn

borna'horn New Member

I don't think Vince is the project people make him out to be. He knows a lot more already than people give him credit for.

9. JoeJet

JoeJet Banned

Sometimes lots of fun to go back about 6-8 months and read some "expert" opinions. Not to mention names, because thats not fair (the draft can be a MAJOR crap shoot). But I read how one of the aforementioned posters was an "expert" football analyst, and he looks silly in this thread.

10. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

He's still got a lot to prove. But the early results are damn good.

11. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

He's done a nice job so far, and is showing results sooner than I expected. I had said in this thread he needed the right situation, and I think Tennessee was a good place for him to thrive in in the future, but I'm surprised he has done this good a job in his first year.

12. Richiebsweet

Richiebsweet Active Member

All HATERS of Vine Young sound like Merril Hodge, a straight PLAYER HATER FOR LIFE, DON'T HATE THE PLAYER HATE THE GAME. Now you look silly as hell with your remarks now that Vince Young is winning his games the way you said he couldn't. Pro-Style Offense(check), Snaps under center(check), Ability to throw the ball(check), Ability to Run the ball(check), Read the defense(check), and oh yeah, Win games in the NFL(check). Vince Young is a winner, he wants to win and only knows winning. He throws first and runs second, that's the difference between him and Michael Vick, don't get it twisted. VINCE YOUNG IS THE FUTURE!

13. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

The haters will just keep making excuses. Maybe they'll claim he had a brain transplant or something. The guy is a winner...it's hard to ever count out a team with a winner at QB.

14. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

How is this a possibility? We didn't even have a chance at selecting him!

Vince Young is making big plays for his team through the air and ground and is also leading his team which is so important from the QB position. Vince is doing all of this in his rookie year. If the Titans can compliment Young with a few playmakers...lookout

15. vanyjetsfan

vanyjetsfan Member

Looking pretty good so far

16. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I admit I was wrong about Young. He looks like the real deal. I am not a scout or an expert, just a fan like the rest of you. If you went back and pulled posts on everybody, you'd find mistakes that we all make evaluating players.

However, he was not an option for the Jets to draft, given that he went before they picked.

17. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

He looks very good so far. I said he was a boom/bust prospect that I wouldn't have taken so highly because of his high bust potential. He was a winner in college, but who knows what he'll be down the line. He's still pretty raw, although his running ability has been better than I thought it would be at this level.

18. Learn To Swim

Learn To Swim 2008 Nightowltom "Best Non-Jets Poster" Award Winn

Stop plagiarizing from the Big Book of Cliches, New Edition.

Haaaaaterade

19. S-I-X

S-I-X Member

if it werent for Colston, i think he would win ROY

20. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

He will win ROY anyway