Starting to question Joe Douglas

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jets12, Nov 5, 2019.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Whoever he takes in the 1st and 2nd round is going to start right away. That’s how it works. GMs start their guys, especially since they will be at the top of those rounds. That’s an easy goal.

What we want are 1 or 2 “good” starters. And by good, I mean in comparison to the rest of the league

2. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

Another good point! Also consider that even if you have a good team you can fall quickly too -- e.g., us from early Sanchez days; look at Atlanta fast rise then fall with Dan Quinn (another guy who wanted to coach here)

there is no doubt we need to execute in the draft AND a small handful of vets

3. chandler

He is also something of a known commodity to him

4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I think it's a combination of bad luck and Gase and Williams being meatheads and burning them out in training camp.

5. Swe-Jet

Swe-Jet Member

JD said in his press conferance that the offers recieved for Adams and Bell didn't match their value of these players, which makes total sense to me.
    Bell and Adams are the leaders of this team and these are also important building blocks.
    You can't expect to win with just a bunch of rookies.
    When it comes to draft picks people always tend to think best case scenario and that every pick will turn into a starter or superstar, which is not the reality.

I put my faith in JD and I have hard time we will find a better GM in the near future with this ownership.
    Six years of JD at the helm could impossibly be worse than the six years prior to him.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. BrowningNagle

They weren't hitting anymore than anyone else in camp, it's in the CBA. If practices were intense in terms of conditioning, that would be better for injury prevention not worse

7. chandler

good post

I agree re the comments concerning sensitivity etc, but am willing to give him a mulligan also. I think he's super frustrated for the right reasons. He wants to win. I think he wants to be a Jet too. Having said that, he's on notice. No more distractions. Either get on board, or you're off to Cleveland. :)

AND I would still ship him for the right package. I think he is an impact player; I just think we have so many needs of higher priority than an impact safety.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

I am fine with our front office--

JD, Savage, Hogan and Chad Alexander all come from respectable programs and have tons of experience in their respective field. Hymie Elhai is also well respected and he now runs the business side. On paper, you can't do to much better than that.

This is one of the reasons, I would love Christopher J to fire Gase and allow this group to conduct the next search and ultimately hire our next coach.

SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. chandler

burning them out? How so? genuinely curious. I was under the impression Avery just got injured like a lot of guys do

10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I can’t buy the burnout theory under the cba practice rules.

11. chandler

But shouldn't the decision to fire rest in JD's hands, not Christopher's. And if JD doesn't fire him isn't that a statement that Gase should be judged with a better roster; or fire him if he's convinced he's a dummy

SOJAZ and Cman68 like this.
  12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

There were a lot of reports last summer that the practices were unusually intense. That the offense was going up against the defense like it was a real game. Here's one of the reports. https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost...liams-taking-jets-battles-to-new-extreme/amp/

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

The best thing Chris Johnson can do for the team is step back and let the football people he hired actually RUN the damn team and by that, I mean make the decisions that directly affect the team. Chris should just rubber stamp these decisions and go back to whatever country club he hung out at before becoming CEO.

FrontOfficeFanatic likes this.
  14. BrowningNagle

95% of the article is about trash talking, unless these players are injuring their jaws, that has nothing to do with injuries

the only part that's not is Alex Lewis / Nathan Shepard's skirmish. players fighting should not happen in practice because it can result in injury but sometimes it does and you break it up. They broke it up and those 2 guys haven't been injured all year

FJF likes this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I feel like these reports always surface when there's a new head coach in town though.

I don't know if the Jets are doing anything differently. Some teams just get decimated by injuries.

It could just be coincidence. Something does seem off though. Like no one knows anything about any of these injuries. At the same time, it could just be exactly what it appears to be on the surface and we're all searching for answers as to why we not only suck but are also unlucky.

chandler and FJF like this.
  16. chandler

I dunno. that seemed like a good idea at the time. And if they were soft in pre-season there would be the counter argument they were too soft.

I see your point but not sure i want to be too critical of that

this season reminds me of Joba Chamberlain in the Cleveland series. Stupid midges and all of a sudden all hell breaks loose.

first half against buffalo we all had our pom poms out applauding all the turnovers etc. Kicker lost that game, along with meathead penatly by Anderson extending a drive. Then one friggin thing after another.

The next half of the season will be important to stabilize (first goal) and grow (second goal).

Fans are rightfully super frustrated. I just hope the team (top down) ignores it all and focuses on the real business at hand

17. BrowningNagle

honestly though, have the Jets had more injuries in comparison to the league? I know it feels like it because the backups are so bad but maybe the issue is just lack of depth. I mean like half the league has had to play a game with a backup QB this year, due to injury, were in week 9. And that's just QBs...

is it possible the Jets are just slightly above average in injuries or something

FJF likes this.
  18. chandler

good question. I suspect though our situation is exacerbated from a lack of quality depth. and even if the #s are commensurate i can't recall so many injured ILBs

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think it's more of how they have occurred. Avery Williamson was left in the game longer than the rest of the starters and tore his ACL. This isn't a rookie that needed extra work. Then in other words Gase said "yeah my bad I should've taken him out."

Then Osemele quits on the franchise to get his shoulder repaired. Then Le'Veon, although the MRI reportedly (just now) showed no structural damage and he should be fine to play Sunday, has an MRI that the coach knows nothing about. Was he hurt? Was this maintenance? This is supposed to be your star player.

You're probably right though and this is just pissed off fan speculation honestly. It just seems like a mess behind the scenes and Gase isn't paying attention to details.

SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Imagine if we had Teddy Bridgewater coming off the bench instead of Cool hand Luke?

Ralebird and BrowningNagle like this.
  21. BrowningNagle

Bridgewater was 5-0 as a starter. We had him here. unbelievable