Starting to question Joe Douglas

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jets12, Nov 5, 2019.

1. jets12

jets12 Active Member

I was really excited about picking him as GM after the previous losers this franchise has always had under the "lucky sperm club" brothers.

However, I am wondering what he is thinking by not trading his marketable players at the trade deadline for a bunch of draft picks and why he keeps picking up 30 year old guy when players to the IR. We are in a rebuilding phase and do not need any 30 year old pick ups that retired already.

A really smart GM right now would be raiding the best players on everyone's taxi squad and give them a shot. There are quite a few players that teams are trying to hide and we need to cut lose the guys that will not be here next year and sign the best players we can find.

We had all this talk from Douglass at the end of training camp that he and his new staff could not wait to see the waiver wire because we have reports on everyone.

Guess what, it is time put your money where your mouth is. This franchise needs a guy with balls and the time to start is now, not April.

2. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Well he’s our only hope right now, gotta at least give him an off-season.

3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Don't forget his trades for Thomas and Hairston. And his bungling of the Osemele situation. And his ringing endorsement of Gase.

SOJAZ and westiedog1 like this.
  4. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

He tried to get offensive lineman for Adams. His heads in the right spot, but trying needs to turn into succeeding.

Cman68 likes this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don't understand the trade for Demaryus Thomas at all. That just pissed me off considering they resigned him to take one of our picks from us.

Other than that, Hairston and Kalil were both hail marys to save a dying season. I can't blame him for either of those. Osemele idk whose to blame or if the guy really just wanted to go get the surgery done. Everytime he's spoken he really hasn't bashed the Jets too badly.

Something funny's going on with all of this injury stuff and strength and conditioning stuff. It could all be exactly what it appears.

But it started with Avery Williamson being left in a preseason game way too long. To Kalil taking absolutely forever to get in football shape and right into the Osemele drama. And now Le'Veon has a phantom knee injury that warrants an MRI that the coach didn't know about on Tuesday? Just doesn't feel right and I really don't know who to blame.

So I'll blame Gase because that's easiest.

#5 Jonathan_Vilma, Nov 5, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    rscherwin, SOJAZ, K'OB and 6 others like this.
  6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Now Joe Douglas sucks!?!

Fuggin' great...

That does it...I'm done!

I'm changing my avatar...

7. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

Nobody is free from criticism, especially now.

But to be honest I can't find fault with anything Douglas has done. He's been here an extremely short amount of time and has shown he "gets it"

Listening to offers for Adams (and Bell). Who cares if baby Jamal cried. It's the right thing to do

The Williams trade. Wonderful. Brilliant

Kalil was a prayer. He was given no offensive line and particularly no center by Maccagnan. He was trying to do the best he can to patch things up. It didn't work, but he had to try at least

D. Thomas can still play. Good trade with New England. He's no dominant force anymore but he's far from finished

Immediately cutting lazy and late Polite

PabloJa, BudJet, SOJAZ and 6 others like this.
  8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'll wait until after he has a full offseason to judge him. It's encouraging that he has talked about the importance of the OL.

PabloJa, BudJet, NYJFOREVER and 7 others like this.
  9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I'm not trashing the guy right now, I won't do that without giving him an offseason to do his job. But my expectations are lower than when we first signed him.

ColoradoContrails and Cman68 like this.
  10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

He got a 3rd and a 5th round pick for Leonard Williams. That is impressive! He did not want to just give away Anderson, Bell, and Adams. I agree with that too. I'm fine with most of Joe's moves so far. My only criticism is not signing a QB once Siemian went down. Clearly Falk was in over his head and had no business on an NFL field. It would have been better to sign a veteran to fill in. Can't really fault much else, especially with his limited time as Jets GM so far.

11. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

Just look at Dallas. Just look at us in 2009 and 2010. A good offensive line can cover so many warts.

BudJet and Jets81 like this.
  12. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

At that point I doubt anybody even wanted to take on this job with the line what it is, with the schedule what it was, and on such short notice. I bet nobody was knocking on our door. We had to roll with Falk and had no other options

NCJetsfan and The Dark Knight like this.
  13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

With our 0 line it would have been tantamount to elder abuse...

14. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Oh damn you just made me depressed

ugh

15. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Remember Mac got a second and Kearse for Richardson with all his off field baggage....

The Dark Knight and BacktoQueens like this.
  16. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

He had to make those Hairston/Thomas trades. We just needed warm bodies with the state of the team at the time. He inherited a team that was a mess at CB. He looked anywhere and everywhere for one. Nate Hairston was a worthwhile chance. Thomas was practically free and has played well

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

If he took the Jets GM job, how smart or in demand could he be?

18. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

The fact that he took the Jets job should have been a huge red flag. As "in demand" and "highly respected" as he is said to be, surely he'd have the forethought to look at this dumpster fire and know to stay away.

Smarter people have tried and failed to right this ship. At this point, if you have a solid career ahead of you, you stay away from the Jets. Honestly, we might not be too far off from the point where college players stay in school another year to avoid us or flat-out refuse to play for the Jets.

19. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Love your handle. Welcome to the board

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

No demand for JD? Then why was he walking away before Christdoophus gave him more $ and a 6 year deal??

He knows his Contract is longer than AG and they may be parting ways in January..lol (Assuming these Owners see reality..Can Gase win another Game?? Wouldnt bet the house on it)

Let this guy tinker in FA and Draft some good players before he is Graded