Adam Gase Thread (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Sep 16, 2019.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I won't disagree that execution has been poor but a few things:

-Gase runs with 5 WRs, that's his thing. 2 of those guys are career special teams players. Bellamy botched a well-executed play that was the right play call, but he also should have never been on the field.
    -On the topic of personnel... why is the guy who was gaining chunk yardage all summer barely playing? The three carries Montgomery had Monday night went for like 25 yards. Get the guy involved!
    -Execution has nothing to do with his decision making. You can't tell me on 3rd and 2 that you'd choose to throw with Falk over running with Bell because you're afraid someone won't do their job.
    -It's a recurring theme with him. This is just what he does. He overthinks short yardage plays and tries to get too cute when you need 8 yards on third down. The philosophy isn't a good one unless you have Brady, Edelman and James White.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

WTF. execution has everything to do with decision making!!!!

The fact that you cite Brady & his patriots boys is a classic example. They run short yardage passing plays all game. They nickel and dimed their way to 6 SB titles. The players just execute the similar play calls. their offense doesn't look much different than what Gase is trying to run here. Spread the defense out and get the ball to receivers in space .

#282 BrowningNagle, Sep 18, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

For reference:

Tom Brady
    Drew Brees
    Ben Roethlisberger
    Aaron Rodgers

All average areound 7.3-7.8 average yards per attempt.

Ryan Tannehill under Gase's offense = 7.3
    Luke Falk on Monday night = 7.9

Where does this idea come from that Gase only throws behind the line of scrimmage or no more than 4 yards?

jilozzo and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. BrowningNagle

It is fair to say that Gase's offense only completed passes at the line of scrimmage or within 5 yards this year. (2 games). But that's different that play calling because that factors in execution.

[and decision making - Darnold, chose to check down on multiple occasions when he didn't have to]

Gase got Robby Anderson open deep - twice - downfield week 1 and Darnold missed both throws. He got Anderson open downfield in week 2 and Anderson dropped it, He got Bellamy open in the middle of the field with lots of space and he dropped it. Who knows what the routes were called on the plays where Beachum & Kalil got tossed aside for easy sacks. and that happened a lot because those guys suck

5. BroadwayAaron

Ok, so you're telling me he thought the team had a better chance executing a pass play on 3rd and 2 with a third string QB than getting two yards with the star RB who was rattling off 5-6 yards at will... that just means he's an idiot.

6. BrowningNagle

Bell was not getting 5-6 yards at will. Cleveland dominated the line of scrimmage the whole game. You are just making shit up now

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. Matthew_McBride

Matthew_McBride Active Member

Yeah whatever, and when he runs it and doesn't get it y'all whine "omg I thought he was supposed to be an offensive guru, how predictable is running it up the middle, I could've called that"

Trainer and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. Falco21

This is clear bullshit.

Le'Veon has 128 total rushing yards this year. 117 of them are AFTER contact, which is 91% of his yardage.

Saying he was "rattling off 5-6 yards at will" is a joke

9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Gase's offense is nothing like the Pats. Gase gets guys open by spreading everyone out and having running backs and slot receivers run underneath routes that the defense doesn't bother to cover. The Pats get guys open by having their receivers run option routes, which are almost impossible to cover because the receivers have license to change their routes on the fly. The reason other teams don't do that is it won't work unless the offense is very well-coached, and the QB can handle not knowing exactly where his receivers will be.

10. BroadwayAaron

Before that 3rd and 2 debacle, Bell had 11 carries for 44 yards. On the drive Falk came in he had 6 carries for 31 yards alone and the shortest one was 5 yards. He was running very well at that point in the game. You call it a joke, I call it the box score.

Regardless there is no friggen sane person on this planet that would say passing on 3rd and 2 with a third string QB is a better option than giving your star RB two shots at getting two yards.

11. Falco21

Our comments were in response to you stating that Bell was rattling off 5-6 yard runs at will, which isn't true.

Hell, you even just proved yourself wrong by stating that Bell had 11 carries for 44 yards which is 4 yards per carry and again, 91% of his yardage is after initial contact, which means he is battling his ass off to get those 4 yards.

So no, he wasn't "rattling off 5-6 yard runs at will"

12. BrowningNagle

Gase runs some option routes. Anderson is struggling with that

Red Menace likes this.
  13. BroadwayAaron

Ok lets roll with “I meant exactly 5-6 yards and I wasn’t generalizing to put over the fact he was running well”. I was wrong. But hey how many yards did we need again? Seems as if the 4.4 yards per carry would have worked out over the course of two handoffs huh?

It was an incredibly stupid decision. There is no arguing it.

14. BrowningNagle

I mean its a complete lie... did you even watch the game? If Bell was ripping off 6 yards at will, maybe the Jets score more than 3 points. Cleveland dominated the line of scrimmage. If you have to lie to make your point then you should consider the merits of your point

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Exactly. They're also ignoring that the Browns were probably keying on Bell on that 3rd and 2 and 4th and 2. They're also forgetting that Gase had said that he was going to limit Bell's touches to keep him fresh so he can hopefully make it through the full 16 game schedule, which he has only done once in his career. There are other players on offense who have to do their jobs, execute and contribute.

NYJetsO12, Red Menace and dmw like this.
  16. BrowningNagle

It was tough sledding with Bell all night. That guy takes a beating. He's gonna run out of gas by November if they don't figure something out

NYJetsO12, Red Menace and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. BroadwayAaron

I literally showed you in that post why I said what I said and in the response to the other guy, when even the 4.4 ypc should have given Gase (or anyone with a brain) the confidence to run when you need two yards. But I know better than to do this with you, a complete waste of time.

18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

can we stop parroting this nonsense making it seem like bell is an injury risk?

2013 - rookie year in which he was inactive the 1st 3 games. he started week 4 and started the other 13 games and didn't miss time for injury. hard to say that's "not playing thorugh a full scheudle"
    2014 - played and started all 16 games
    2015 - the one year he actually did get injured. only played 6 games
    2016 - was suspended the 1st 4 games. started the other 12. didn't miss any for injury
    2017 - started 15 games. only sat out week 16 to rest for the playoffs since the game was meaningless. something starts do on all teams in that position.
    2018 - sat out due to contract dispute
    2019 - started 2 of 2 games

So really in 5 season he's only missed time for injury in 1 of them. in other words 80% of the time he's never missed a game in a season due to injury.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  19. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Hindsight is 20/20. If they predictably run on 3rd and 2 and don't get any yards, then run again on 4th and 2 and don't make it, Gase would be accused of running a boring, predictable offense. I see complaints on here that his offense is boring and predictable and other complaints that he took unnecessary chances.

NYJetsO12 and Noam like this.
  20. BroadwayAaron

It's boring and predictable 90% of the time. When you need 2 yards, you don't get stupid and fancy. No one would blame Gase whatsoever if one of the two plays we needed to get 2 yards, the ball went to a top tier RB who was already rattling off 4.4 ypc (hopefully this works for people) at that point in the game.