Gase doesn't get it

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WarriorRB28, Sep 8, 2019.

1. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Blowing a close game while being too conservative is "much better than Bowles"?
    Looked eerily similar to me.

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Why are you having such a hard time with this? I specifically said in the reply to you that he needs to take some blame. SOME blame. Not ALL but SOME. Say it with me:

SOOOOOOOME

And write it off like it’s not a big deal and people are over blowing the situation but if you were at your job and your boss gave you dog shit instructions and you ended up not following them perfectly then he went in front of millions of people and said it was all your fault, youd probably have an issue with it.

3. BacktoQueens

The bolded is false.
    You've been denying Gase had any accountability for the mess in Miami for awhile, but that doesn't make it true.

Ralebird likes this.
  4. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

So he should blame himself for a route that gets run incorrectly? Should he help wipe his player's asses too?

If I remember correctly he said he is to blame for the kicking situation. So he'll take it when it's warranted.

To each his own but I like this style better. Reminds me of Bruce Arians.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  5. BroadwayAaron

Jesus Christ this is so fucking impressive. Not just you but everyone who keeps pretending that this is a black-and-white issue. Gase can be critical of the players and also admit he called a terrible game. Which he did. If he’s taking some blame that doesn’t mean there is no blame on the players. This isn’t an either or thing.

ColoradoContrails and Ralebird like this.
  6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It was eerily similar to the Bowles losses. Especially the last couple years when this team blew a lot of leads.

My hope is that it was just a case of the team reverting back to old habits. Often when a team gets better it takes awhile for them to learn how to win. Its a weird thing. They blew a ton of games the last couple years with the lead, Sunday they had a lead, they don't believe they can win. It's hard to shake that.

If it happens more frequently - I'll start to blame Gase too, but for now, I'm gonna blame the players

kevda5n9ne and BacktoQueens like this.
  7. BroadwayAaron

I would tend to agree with this if what we saw Sunday wasn’t just an extension of what we saw from Gase in Miami. Conservative, no energy, lackluster. If this were a rookie head coach I would say you know what, this this team needs time to figure it out and so does the coaching staff. But this is what Gase is. It’s why he got fired from his other job and we were the only ones to try and hire him for the exact same position.

8. BacktoQueens

Yeah i agree it does take a team a little time to learn how to win.
    That includes the coaching staff knowing their players limitations and strengths, and when to take calculated risks.

I can't put this all on the players, and think coaches namely Gase deserve the bigger criticism.

I do agree with your overall point that it can take a new team some time to gel, and for everyone collectively to learn how to win though.
    For that reason, I'll chill and let it play out even though I'm concerned with what I saw.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The bullshit O had a 16 to 3 lead despite a missed extra point and field goal going into the 4th quarter. The Bills are a notorious for ball hawking and getting turnovers. Our 22 year old QB didn't turn the ball over. Our D gave up two TD's in the 4th quarter to an O that was 30th in the league last year.

Basically if we had a reasonably crappy kicker and our best defender didn't go off the field the short passing no turnover game wins. If Anderson runs the right route we win. If our kicker hits a field goal and extra point we win.

We got the lead and held it into the 4th quarter. With a 16 to 3 lead against a top ball hawking D stop pretending he called a bad game. Sam missed a wide open Anderson. Either Sam missed it or Anderson ran the wrong route. Hardly a bad call. Once we had the lead not turning the ball over becomes a huge plus against a bad offensive team looking for turnovers from their D.

Sam is being developed. Ball security first, open it up in the context of ball security. It's a process. The game plan against the Bills worked. Our deficiencies in the kicking game and on D once our best player went out killed us. You can't have a game plan against Buffalo with a young QB, crappy WR and a bad OL to try and run up the score because the kicking game and D sucks.

You look at tape you fix the mistakes and move on. This is a highly flawed team with a 22 year old QB in his second system in 2 years. He's finally getting some quality coaching.

NCJetsfan and Dierking like this.
  10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Looks like the mess in Miami is getting worse since Gase left.

11. Fleetwood

Fleetwood Member

Belichick was below .500 (30-34,1-1) at Cleveland. Went 0-4 enroute to a 5-11 first season in Foxborough. It has worked out pretty well since then, though.

12. BroadwayAaron

The offense scored 8 points, not 16.

We can go back and forth about who did what and why it didn't work but the bottom line is what we saw from our offense is eerily similar to every Gase offense in Miami. He turned Sam into Tannehill throwing short quick passes from the pocket and not letting him make plays which is what he's VERY good at. I get it, Buffalo has a good defense, you need to protect Sam and limit turnovers... but you also have to win the god damn game. So every time things get dicey we're going to throw behind the LOS or 3 yards in front of it because we don't want to turn the ball over?

You have only 3 WR on the roster worth a damn, the other two are STers. They are getting NOTHING done outside of Crowder who was only getting it done because he was getting the ball immediately... why not use Montgomery for more than 5 snaps? Gase talked about how much fun it is to have him and Bell and how many things you can do with them... why not do it? Because Gase fucked up, that's why. For all the talk about how innovative and creative he is, he was about as bland as Jeremy Bates in every single way.

13. BroadwayAaron

They are tanking for a franchise QB that they can take with their own pick, then fill out the rest of the roster with all the first and second round picks they've collected. Their gameplan is hardly a bad one and they are arguably in better position now for longterm success than they ever were with Gase.

14. jetsclaps

I know what you're saying I just disagree. If they start out 1-7 and Gase is still blaming the players every game my tune will most likely change. Right now I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, since we can see that players like Robby Anderson did screw up routes and the cornerbacks did in fact suck.

15. BroadwayAaron

But you can also see just as plainly that Gase screwed up. All I'm saying is you're a shitty boss if you don't take responsibility for your fuck ups, and whether or not Gase fucked up isn't even up for debate. He did.

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

haha!!!!!!!!

Miami loses 59-10. "Dolphins players tell agents they want out" - Miami Herald https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article234915347.html

yeah, they sound set up nicely for success omg hahaha

17. BroadwayAaron

18. BacktoQueens

He left that team way worse than he found it. They are a disaster now.
    Flores has no chance.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  19. jetsclaps

Its hard for the layman football viewer to decipher who screwed up. Was the oline over powered because Darnold missed a read? A WR missed a hot route? An olineman was just overpowered? The olineman didn't communicate well? Or the play was a bad call?

We don't know these things.

And I think a boss in a normal office environment should cover for their subordinates. That kind of goes out the window in the NFL. I'm sick of Rex Ryan and Todd Bowles always taking the blame when we can SEE players screwing up.

It's nice to cover for players, but it's also a bit phony for the coaches to do that. These are big boys. If you can't handle it, you provably shouldn't be a professional athlete.

20. BroadwayAaron

WAY worse. Not even close. But they now have a shit ton of picks and a new regime which was probably what they needed more than anything.