Next week is Chad's last chance: thoughts from a Chad fan

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Gubernaculum, Dec 11, 2006.

1. NYJets38

NYJets38 New Member

LOL, where to begin?

When Moss and Martin were on this team in 2004, we won. Chad played well when he was healthy, and we won a playoff game and were a kick away from the AFC Championship game. So exactly what's your point? We had playmakers, and we won more. Exactly what I'm saying.

Coles was just as good in 2002 as 2003, arguably better, and he's having an excellent year this year which could end up being just as good depending what he does the last few games.

Martin won the rushing title with Chad as QB.

Moss had his best season in 2005 with the Redskins, that is true, but he was excellent in 2003 with Chad at QB, and he was way better in 2004 with Chad as QB than he has been this year, so exactly what is your evidence that QB was the problem with Moss? Seems like his own inconsistency and injuries to me.

And nobody said Cotchery wasn't good, so maybe you won't look so foolish all the time if you actually read the posts. I said he's a possession receiver, which isn't a bad thing, but you need explosive players around them as well.

As for Brady, Manning and McNabb, you are completely right. But I'm not sure how that relates to my post in any way as I never claimed that Chad is one of the 3 or 4 best QB's in the league. If you have a plan to get a top 3 QB in here, than I am all for it.

2. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

Even with all those players whom you've now just admitted were "excellent", this team has NEVER finished in the top half of the league in offense or scoring! What does that tell you about the QB? You've just conceded the entire argument, thanks a lot for taking the bait.

We've never had more than 10 wins in a season, and we scored 3 offensive points in that playoff game, while needing a kicker to miss a FG the week before for us to get a chance to kick one. So Chad WITH talent around him can aspire to be mediocre at best? You figure you want a talented team to be a top team in the league. If your QB is a liability, you need a new one. You don't want a QB whose ceiling is to be mediocre when everything goes right, you want a QB whose floor is mediocre when everything around him goes right, and who can aspire to actually perform when things DON'T go his way. Chad is not that guy. With talent or without, unless we get the best players at his position around him, which is not feasible. Simply having solid talent or "excellent" talent is not enough, as you've admitted.

#42 Serphnx, Dec 11, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2006
  3. NYJets38

NYJets38 New Member

Actually in 2004 we were 12th in the NFL in offense, and in 2002 we were 15th in ppg, and that is including the 4 starts for big arm Vinny, which if you don't include we would be 5th in ppg with Chad at QB, but nice try.

And I didn't concede any argument. You said that Coles and Moss were being held back playing with Chad and I showed that both of them put up excellent seasons with Chad at QB

4. NYJets38

NYJets38 New Member

If you are going to make excuses for our playoff win at San Diego, than you have to point out that the only reason we even needed to go to overtime is because Eric Barton felt it would be a good idea to hit the QB in the helmet.

5. RDriven3

RDriven3 New Member

I have no idea why I am replying cause once again I love how its all Chads fault. I suppose Chad was playing defense when they allowed a 57 yard run and Chad bit on the the stop and go 77 yard touchdown... that was his arms fault I suppose. :rolleyes: Why do you people think Clemens will do any better? Chad gives the NYJ the best chance to win PERIOD. Until someone can step up in practice or they sign someone to replace him I want to see him out there on every Sunday becuase as long as I see him back there I know we have a chance which is a hell of a lot better than anyone else who has played QB for the jets in the last few years.

6. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

thats a very good point. if clemens did start a game and did bad, this board would be crazily negative for months.... and months....

oh god dont let clemens start.

7. smittyf350

smittyf350 Member

well if mike shanahan can bench Plummer when his team is 7-4. then why cant we put our rookie in when we are 7-6? but i would be more for clemens at 7-7. chad is not our answer. he wont take us to the superbowl he's had two chances . we should follow denvers path. the cowboys, the redskins, the chargers, the cardinals. everyone of those teams will be good next year. but will we? we wont know

8. RDriven3

RDriven3 New Member

2!!!!???? LOL damn those broncos for sticking with Elway, damn all teams and Qb's who have more than 2 tries!! damn them all.

9. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

Chad can prove all of us wrong if he wins out and plays well. We need to see some type of consistency to have him as a viable option for next year. There is no reason to be that inconsistent with throws as a veteran. He's got his chance now.

As others have said, once we reach 7 wins its time to give Clemens some time.

NYJets38 makes a great point- we need a homerun threat at RB whether its Marshawn Lynch/AD/etc.. I watched Houston and he just wasn't that good. 18 for 60 against a porous Buffalo run D is not encouraging. Washington will be a nice 3rd down back. Watching McGahee was all that needed to be shown for the need for an elite running back.

10. smittyf350

smittyf350 Member

first of all you cant compare pennington to elway. elway didnt get hurt just about every year. and he did take the broncos to the superbowl more than twice. and he can throw the ball more than ten yards. all chad did this year was make us a decent team with alot of upside. look at vince young with the shitty titans. everybody thought he would take 3 years to be good. they were 0-5 and now they're one game behind us. were not gonna make the playoffs this year. i hate to break all of your hearts. if we lose to the vikings. we have to throw clemens in.

11. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Smitty is making some good points, even if there's something drastically wrong with either his Shift key or his manual dexterity.

If we lose to the Vikings we're almost certainly out of the playoffs, depending on what else happens. But the moment we know we're out, that should be the moment to pull Chad and insert Clemens, IMO.

Smitty, I'd like to cut down on the amount of eye-strain. Could you either get the Shift key on your keyboard repaired or get yourself some typing lessons to learn how to use it? Thanks.

12. since83

since83 Member

Are you kidding me. if we are out of the playoffs then pride means nothing to
    Mangini. He's already building on next year. Second, CP is going to get all his money this year which means it's a rap for him (please correct me if I'm wrong). If KC has been moved up to 2nd QB, that's a hell of a message. Let KC get some full blown game speed to build his confidence going into next year. How is he going to lose anymore confidence going into next year if he didn't play this year. Confidence is gained by playing. Why waste time on CP?
    In my opinion he's worn out his welcome. Think about this. Imagine a boxer known for his technical skills and ring showmanship. Yet his record is 7-6 with no knockouts. Who cares if he has the prettiest jab, the prettiest hook out there. Who cares if his connection percentage is through the roof. Everyone knows he has a glass jaw. Opponents will take his percentage rate long enough to give him one shot in the mouth. Bang, his confidence is gone. He loses the fight. When are people going to get off the accuracy, percentage rate bullshyit and see that chad is a boxer that has won some fights but will never be good enough to win the belt or be known as a knockout artist that instills fear in his opponent.

13. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Suddenly? Where the hell have you been man? You think this is all new or something?

When you lose games, you tend to try to identify what the problems are. A lot of people would probably identify CP as the problem yesterday. He played awful. He set the Bills up for more points then he lead us too. We played like crap on both sides of the ball but CP's piss poor performance stood out.

A QB can have a solid game in loss. It seems though, that CP always looks terrible in a loss. Are those two things directly related? We can leave that to message board speculation I guess. One thing is for sure though...this is absolutely nothing new.

14. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

I was looking at team passing defense stats today and happened to notice that every team the Jets have beaten this season is on the lower half of the league in pass D. Exceptions being Miami and Buffalo, but I'm not sure those two weren't just slow starters. Bad news, folks: Miami and Oakland are top-10 passing defenses, Raiders #1 overall. The Vikings passing defense sucks, and we will have another great win against a bad pass D and people will say that Chad had a great game and he's back and all is forgiven. I'm through being suckered in. He takes what the defense gives him, and plays within his increasingly large limitations, but that will get us nowhere.

Don't tell me you didn't watch the Saints/Cowboys game Sunday night, and see deep ball after deep ball, from both QBs and just feel sick. I want that, dammit! I want a QB that can throw the ball deep on a rope. Is that too much to ask? I would hope that Clemens can be that guy for us, and I think we will get the chance for that to happen next season. I give the coach too much credit to believe he doesn't place winning ahead of loyalty the way Herm always will. (I'm not going to rehash that past, but look at Trent Green starting and losing while Huard rides the pine, and see that some things never change.) That Clemens came into the game Sunday instead of Pennington seeing things through could be seen as Pennington being served a notice by Mangini, but I kind of doubt it. But you never know, either.

15. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

guess what? in football - probably more so than any other sport - expectations change on a weekly basis. once we proved that we could actually make the Playoffs, the expectations changed.

and many of us have been complaining about Chad for a while now, after both wins and losses.

cheers