Jets SIGNED LeVeon Bell

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

reread what you quoted

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if things go well, they make some changes to that contract for sure.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Did those other backs have the injury history that he has? What was their rushing style like? Did they take a lot of hits? Did they also catch a lot of passes, and thus take more hits? Did they hold out? We all know that with skill position players their speed can vanish very quickly. When that happens, they're much less successful. Even if Bell can take a bunch more additional touches and hits and not physically break down, will he keep his speed/shiftiness? Will he hold out for more money? Even if he's been very good for 3-4 seasons with the Jets, I still think it would be foolish to give him more guaranteed money. If they want to re-sign him at that point fine, but it should be an incentive-laden deal with little or no guaranteed money imo.

Also, did you look at that chart closely? Most of those RBs had less production and played in fewer games. Only a few were in the green. Also, look at those names. I remember Clinton Portis, Edgerrin James, Barry Sanders, and Rodney Hampton. They all declined. Remember LaDanian Tomlinson on the Jets? He was 30 and 31 and he was a shell of his former self.

#483 NCJetsfan, Mar 14, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  4. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I can't speak for running styles, but this is for touches, not just carries.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I read and reread it as throwing shade on a great player and arguably one of the greatest Jet players to ever take the field.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Now go wipe your ass with a football.

6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Can we get him into camp first?

I want to see what kind of shape he's in before we start debating whether to re-do his contract.

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

There were some nights in my navy days where those seemed like equal measurements of time.

8. NCJetsfan

True, but a number of those RBs didn't catch many passes. Few caught as many as Bell has. The only three that even come close or surpass are Faulk, James, and Tomlinson. One can take bigger shots as a receiver than one can as a RB, plus running routes. I'll bet that with some of those receivers, most of their passes were screen passes or dump offs. That can make a big difference.

9. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Toast? He won the rushing title, and then got injured and retired over knee concerns the following year. His ability was still high he just retired early as a personal decision.
    Never had a bad year in his career.

10. NCJetsfan

I didn't raise that subject, just responded to it. If anything, I agree with you. I thought it silly to be talking about giving him a second contract with guaranteed money. Your point about seeing what kind of shape he is in, is a good one.

11. NCJetsfan

Yeah, and he was pretty much done after that, which makes my point.

12. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I love Burns. I have seen every game he played at FSU and his potential is sky high but he currently lacks the strength to thrive in the NFL. He can add muscle in an NFL strength and conditioning program. He put on a good amount of weight by the combine and didn't loose a step so I think he will be fine.
    He's not in Allen's league right now. He has a nice spin move and outside speed. Stronger NFL lineman will hang him up once engaged until he gets stronger.
    As I said prior, you need a willing partner to trade back and I'm not sold on the QBs in this class bringing a massive trade.
    As for not needing 16 games from Houston. Pay a coach and save the cap and roster spot. He doesn't give anything if on IR.
    We have an opportunity to get a top tier edge rusher, a prime position. A player who fills a need for 5 years , cheap. You don't pass on that for a player who can't last a season for big money.

ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  13. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Camp? I'm still waiting for a signature.

Ralebird and K'OB like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

We can agree to disagree, but imo it isn't about one season. Sure Houston could wind up on IR, but so could Allen or Burns. A coach can't give you sacks and QB pressures/hits in a game. Houston can. We know that 3-4 OLBs can take half a season or even a year or two to really start playing. Having Houston would help take some pressure off of Burns or even Allen to produce immediately. Allen needs to learn additional moves and counter moves and work on his hand usage. The only thing he may give us over Burns his rookie season would be starting perhaps and playing better versus the run, but Burns is no slouch versus the run.

We also have other people who can also rush the QB, and Williams will have some great blitzes. The more pass rushers we have, the better. Opposing OCs will never know where the rush is coming from.

I'd rather have a #1 WR prospect for Sam and Burns than Allen and no #1 WR prospect and/or the best center prospect in the draft. Even if it took Burns all year to get stronger and learn the D, he should be ready to start terrorizing opposing QBs next season, and he could still be used as a situational rusher this season. It's not like his season would be totally wasted and the Jets get nothing out of him. In addition, if we don't sign a center in FA, that puts a lot of pressure on Mac to get either Bradbury or Jenkins, and both could go in the 2nd round, then we'd be screwed with yet another subpar starting center. That's not a recipe for success.

15. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

Leave it to jets fans to sit here and argue over bullshit right now

FJF likes this.
  16. TonyFtLaud

Again. We entered the offseasoff with holes at every position on the roster, bar none. They won't all be filled. If housHou signs cheap, you sign him. That's what I said in my first post, but I would not overpay him.
    Pretty much exactly what your arguing for, except your throwing in a fantasy scenario where we're going to trade back and add multiple premium players in a trade back. Burns is going in the first, then a #1 WR , another 1 St round player plus an early second for Center.
    I don't see the trade happening. It would be great if it did but I m not counting on it.

jonnyd likes this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

not to mention adrian peterson is still playing well at 32 years old and also missed a year of football and had a ton of carries. Bell is a big back who relies on vision, patience, and power. he's not a burner or a little guy. it's usually the small burners who decline the most but even then we seen guys like sproles play until 33 years old very well. The jets signed bell until he turns 30 and i have a hard time seeing him decline at 30 not to mention the final year only carries 2 mil in dead money. It's a great deal for the jets and i expect him to produce at a pro bowl level for the entire contract

18. TonyFtLaud

Thorpe played till 40 and Marcus Allen was 37.
    Split the difference and extend him 8.5 years?....:D

19. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

depends what you mean by holes. personally i consider holes as starters or position that see a lot of time (like CB3 or WR3) For holes we didn't have a ton. i seen WR3, C, OG, DE2, NT, CB2. Obviously there is always room to upgrade but i wouldn't consider that a hole as long as we had a decent starter. also QB clearly isn't a hole for us as darnold is the starter here for the next 4 years regardless

20. NCJetsfan

We are in agreement about all the holes the Jets have, and that all those holes aren't getting filled this season. I agree that we can't count on a trade. I'm just hoping that it does, and I don't see it as some "fantasy scenario." No team may seek to trade up for one of the QBs this year, but they could. Some team may even be willing to trade up for Quinnen Williams. I would think that if the Jets did get a trade down offer, at a minimum, they'd get a 2nd and 3rd round pick this year and a #1 or #2 next year.

I agree that Burns is going in the 1st round. He would be the Jets' first round pick.

Just because a player is a potential #1 WR prospect doesn't mean he's going in the first round. There are a LOT of great DT prospects in this draft and many of them will go in the 1st round, which will push some of the WRs down. There are two TEs that are guaranteed to go in the 1st round as well, and undoubtedly two, maybe three OTs will go in the 1st as well. Add in a couple of CBs, a LB or two, and there will be some excellent WR options there at the Jets' pick in the 2nd round.
    There are at least two #1 WR prospects that are projected to go in the 2nd round: Hakim Butler and Kelvin Harmon. Both could go in the first round, but could also be there in the 2nd. N'Keal Harry and AJ Brown could also drop to the 2nd round. There may be other WRs who are projected to be potential #1 WRs as well who are projected to go in the 2nd round: JJ Arcega-Whiteside, Emmanuel Hall? Anthony Johnson? Even if these guys aren't #1 WR prospects they would still give us great depth and upgrade our WR corps.

Bradbury could go at the bottom of the 1st, and almost certainly will go in the 2nd round. You know as well as I that once a position starts getting taken in the draft, there is a run on the top players at that position. Once Bradbury is taken (if he indeed is the first center taken), then Jenkins and McCoy could go not far behind. They could drop to the 3rd, but there are no guarantees.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.