Jets to retain 3-4 base defense under Williams?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Sam Hammer, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I don’t think there is anything wrong with the 3-4. It’s still a highly effective scheme as it gives more flexibility in than the 4-3 in terms of what the defense can execute. Gregg Williams seems to be fine running either system and the article says it was his assessment that the team is better suited for a 3-4 defense.

There’s also the fact that we would have to spend a lot of money “starting over” on defense. Get ready to cut half the defense and draft more interior defensive linemen because that’s what would likely happen if we made the switch.

2. MeanGreens08

MeanGreens08 Member

I just hope they arent forcing Williams to do anything. Which seems like a Jets move as of late.

3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Please, lets not over react quite yet. Let us not assume that using the 3-4 as the base, with a coach that has 40 different defensive formations depending on opponents, equates with what Bowles gave us last year.

#23 LAJet, Feb 21, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    Ralebird, K'OB and Sam Hammer like this.
  4. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I just like the overall philosophy of 4-3 defenses. I like speed rushing DE's and I like speedy LBers who chase the ball and make tackles/plays. I also feel like the modern NFL lends itself to creating a pass rush with just your front 4. I also want to see Derron Lee and Leonard Williams in a 4-3. I think they could really breakout in that scheme.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 3-4, merely a personal preference.

5. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I guess Quinnen Williams is going to be targeted after all.

6. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Josh Allen could also fit in if they remain in the 3-4.

BudJet and GQMartin like this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I don't care what formation they use, although I prefer the 4-3 myself, as long as they can finally generate a pass rush, something they haven't really been able to do since they went to the 3-4 years ago. Coincidence? I think not. But if G. Williams can solve that long missing element, I don't care how he does it. That said, color me doubtful until he does.

8. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I didn't read any of the thread because I'm fat, but I thought the Jets were going to the 4-3. Allegedly.

K'OB and Sam Hammer like this.
  9. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I was also a bit excited to see how they would look in the 4-3, but I'm sure they will run 4-3 a good amount of the time, and part of me thinks they will eventually transition into more 4-3 fronts as time goes on (if this rumor is true). I think if Bosa is there you can't pass on him.

BudJet and LAJet like this.
  10. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I was looking forward to seeing something different, hopefully, we still will at certain points in the game.

11. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

He's trash. ;)

joke joke joke :p

PennyandtheJets and CotcheryFan like this.
  12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Agree 100%. It will be a hybrid 3-4 of some sort with a lot of 4-3 and a bunch of other wrinkles. Rest assure IMO that the pick is D at three and could well be Bosa if he is still there. All bets are off if we trade down.

13. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Has Gregg Williams ever ran a base 3-4 defense before? If not why would he come here after being in the league seemingly forever and make the switch to a 3-4? That special group of defenders the Jets have? LOL

A square peg in a round hole.

And why would that have been a bad thing?

This defense was ATROCIOUS last season. What are they doing? I don't understand it. It makes no sense to me. It's mindboggling.

They're talking as if they'd be breaking up some special core of players by going to a 4-3. LOL

Aside from Jamal Adams no one else on that defense should be untouchable.

This offseason would've been the PERFECT TIME to start over on defense. A blank canvas, a clean slate instead they're sticking with the same old same old and ramming Leonard Williams and the 3-4 down Gregg Wiliams throat.

tomdeb likes this.
  14. WarriorRB28

It's still very early but there are already some major red flags.

Rewarding Enunwa who has lived on the injury report the past two seasons with a extension, rewarding Leonard Williams with a $14.2 million salary for 2019 off the miserable 2018 season he just had, hiring Vitt to be on this coaching staff and now this news about sticking with the 3-4.

This regime seems beyond incompetent.

15. Sam Hammer

I would be super hyped if Bosa fell to the Jets. That would be 2 years in a row where the perceived highest rated player going into the draft fell to them in a year where that position was very strong. Last year was THE year for QBs, this year it's Edge rusher. I would be absolutely stoked about that.

16. Sam Hammer

Williams has used 3-4 and 4-3 fronts throughout his career. His base has been mostly 4-3, but he runs tons of 3-4 fronts out of it. Like others have said, base defense isn't the be all end all, most teams only use their base defense for 60% of their snaps at most (give or take).

Turn down the doom and gloom. Williams is far more competent than Bowles/Rodgers.

17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If a report came out that we were switching to a 4-3, you'd complain that we were changing our defense on behalf of Leo.

Sam Hammer likes this.
  18. WarriorRB28

So I'm reading a NY Post article about sticking with the 3-4 I got to this part:

One change under Williams is the desire for smaller, quicker defensive linemen to play a more attacking style. The decision to let nose tackle Mike Pennel go this week is a reflection of that. The Jets no longer are looking for big players to clog up the middle of the defense.

Smaller linemen in a 3-4!!!!!!!!!!

No longer looking for big players to clog up the middle of the defense?!!!!!!!

Just in time for when the Patriots are switching to a more smashmouth, physical rushing attack. Just wonderful.

How bad is this defense going to be against the run?

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  19. WarriorRB28

It's not Gregg Williams competence I'm questioning.

20. Sam Hammer

So you think that this was somebody else's call? Didn't Gase specifically say he wanted a "head coach" of the defense so he could leave it alone and focus on offense? I highly doubt Chris Johnson or Macc is forcing Williams to run certain schemes or limiting what he wants to do with personnel.

Ralebird likes this.