Super bowl LIII Thread

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by SOXXX2, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Passepartout

Passepartout Active Member

Boring game. One of the worst Super Bowls!

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Yes. You and Tolstoy are remarkably similar.

3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

People are killing him for Sunday's game myself included, but Goff played very well 2 weeks earlier down in the Superdome on the road in the NFC championship..that said I still like our Sam D over him

This was all on bill Belichek in this SB ..Brady was so so in this game....guy is in a league of his own imo ...Mike Tomlin a Reid , Gruden a half dozen McVay (obviously) other coaches cant come close...together with Brady a very tough out..almost impossible

4. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Hardly played for free. Did he take less than others, yes. Did it benefit his career and legacy to stay with the Pats vs chasing the last $$. I'd say yes.
    The last 12 years (After his rookie deal and 2nd contract which was restructured in his favor twice), he's averaged $14mil per season total cash including restructure, signing, and option bonuses.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/tom-brady-4619/cash-earnings/

Totals 19 seasons
    Base Salaries- $48,535,700
    Signing Bonuses- $92,038,500
    Roster Bonuses- $24,000,000
    Workout Bonuses- $282,340
    Restructure Bonuses- $27,720,000
    Option Bonuses- $18,000,000
    Incentives- $1,590,259
    Total Cash- $212,166,804

5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Sigh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

6. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I didn't watch the game and deleted it after I heard that the Cheats won so I was spared seeing it. Even without seeing it, I beg to differ. The worst SB halftime show bar none was The Jonas Brothers. I was at my rabid Jets fan friend, Vinnie's house for a SB party. Great crowd, good food, about 20 of us.

Most of the party was mingling in the kitchen during HT and eating, but the handful of us that decided to watch out of morbid curiosity were laughing so hard we were shrieking (myself and Vinnie included). Once I start laughing there is no stopping me. I got to the point where I was bent in half and only primal noises were coming out. Go check it out if you've forgotten how terrible it was and see if I lie.

The second worst HT show that comes to mind was that overrated midget Bruce Springsteen. Sliding across the stage at the very end and shoving his balls into the camera lens did me in. Who wants to see that? It was chunks rising inducing and hilariously bad at the same time. I think I just grunted.

Sam Hammer and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  7. It’s a shame that 80s rock/metal has been blackballed out of being this timeframe’s classic rock(even though it stilll really is)

Can you imagine CC deville going into “fallen angel” when the rest of poison is doing “unskinny bop”,tommy Lee doing the drum cage bit over 80000+ or Stephen Pearcy high on booze,coke & any pills he can find incoheranly mumbling through “Round & round”?

The music kicks the hell out of Piano rock & auto tuned pop in a stadium setting & the element of danger would be epic!

8. jetophile

Haha, remember when people freaked out that Nickelback was going to be playing during the Detroit HT show? I'm pretty sure that it was the Thanksgiving game, was about maybe 7 or 8 years ago or so (?). I think it was 2011. Detroit fans were so pissed off that there was an online petition with thousands upon thousands of signatures to cancel them. The comments were great, too. I laughed like hell. It was really very funny, and then it started this whole debate about why do people hate Nickelback so much, LMAO.

EDIT: I looked it up. It was 2011 and the petition had well over 50,000 signatures, hahaha. Here's one of many gems: "Your music sucks massive ass." Here's another: "Photograph really sucks. When I think about why this song especially sucks I get so irate that I can’t even type coherently." And another: "Chad Kroeger looks like a rapist."

#468 jetophile, Feb 6, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  10. jetophile

EDIT & CORRECTION: My bad. I was confusing The Jonas Brothers debacle (SB) shriekfest with the Indiana Jones and the Temple of of the Forbidden Eye with Tony Bennet, who I happen to like in a saccharin way, but trust me when I tell you it was fckn atrocious. The Jonas Brothers HT show was the Thanksgiving Day game in Dallas. I bent in half for that one at home much to the chagrin of my dinner guests.

11. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

You'll never see a metal band do halftime. Not family friendly or mainstream enough. Unfortunately, mainstream rock has also been pretty much dead since the early/mid 00s. Mainstream music is a disaster right now, I guess that's why we got Maroon 5 this year. Personally, I'd rather see a county band like Zac Brown or something. The only recent SB show that was actually pretty decent was Bruno Mars.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  12. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

I just watched a clip of the Kennedy Center honors for Sting (was a few years ago) and Bruno did a few Police/Sting songs and basically said to the GF they should just give Mars the gig for the next decade.

If we can’t get a blues guitarist/band like Clapton/Winwood/Beck or the like, I’d rather see Bruno Mars than hip hop and Maroon 5.

13. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Looking at your picture, you appear much younger than me. I also have heard "boring game" coming from Pats fans also.

I totally disagree and had the score been reversed, I would still think it was a great game. In a game like this, real football, scores are difficult to come by and mean something. When the score was 3-3, any turnover or play could have changed the game dramatically. Wade Phillips should be commended for a great job in confusing Brady. It is not too often you see a defensive scheme that confuses Brady lately.

Years ago when the Jets under Rex Ryan had a dominating defense and were winning low scoring games, did Jet fans consider this boring? I hope not!

I sometimes wonder if Video games plus Fantasy Football has created a generation of fans with no patience. They want to see scores right away and if doesn't happen, then they are not simulated at all.

The reason this was a low scoring game was due to both teams flexing some defense. Something you don't see to often and the Refs should be commended for letting the players play.

I don't expect to change your mind with this post, but try looking at my argument if you can.

By the way, that is a lovely wedding picture and you look really young for 44!

14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I think a main reason that fans found it boring was how bad the Rams offense looked. Especially Jared Goff. If you watch a terrible game with almost 0 entertainment value offensively, where you already know the result is Tom Brady and Bill Belichick winning their 6th Super Bowl, that is beyond boring and awful television for the majority of fans. It ended up going exactly that way, so of course it will be considered one of the worst Super Bowls in modern history. If the Rams showed any heart or guts on offense, I think fans would look at it differently. If the score was flipped like you said, and the Rams won 13-3, I don't think people would be saying it was boring. Any intelligent fan was going into that game expecting the Patriots to win, the Rams did nothing to change that mindset, so it was boring in that sense.

15. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Prior to the 4th quarter TD drive by the Pats, would you still argue the game was boring? What if the Ram's defense had a pick 6 for a TD to win the game? When the Rams did not answer the Patriots TD with a TD of their own, I could see the argument for the game going from exciting to boring if you wanted the Pats to lose. But up to the point where the Pats scored a TD, wasn't the game exciting at all to watch up to that point?

The Dark Knight likes this.
  16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I wasn't bored. Just trying to explain why I think many fans are saying that. You are right, the game was not decided until that terrible INT pass from Goff to Gilmore. At that point it was over (to me at least) but the first 56+ minutes were good.

17. jetophile

I agree that it is uncanny, Prince Myshkin. I can't believe that Dostoevsky got out of being executed by the way.

18. djnva

djnva New Member

I guess today isn't the day you realize that you can look up the number of roughing the passer calls each team gets and realize the Patriots don't benefit from them like you seem to think.

Maybe tomorrow you'll do that.

19. jetophile

20. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

^^ Is that Dylan Donahue?

FJF likes this.