Cimini: McCagnan doesnt view Mayfield as top 3 pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Mar 17, 2018.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The bold illustrates my point: in that situation, you're willing to pay the premium, so it's worth that to you at that point. A better analogy is you're driving through Nevada and run out of gas. A vehicle comes by and offers you his 5 gal, can of gas for $50 - $10/gal, a ridiculous sum, but without that gas you're going to be in deep trouble. At that point $10/gal is worth it.

QBs are the premium position, and good ones are rare - about as rare as gas in the middle of the desert. The scale is different for QBs than any other position.

Given the price of stadium beer, I'm glad I don't drink any more!

2. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

More like you ran out of gas in the desert and a guy comes along and says I have a 5 gallon gas tank and can't remember if I filled it with water or gas. You can have it for $50. WTF, It's the desert, I'll drink half of it and put the other half in the car.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. Lee Savit

Lee Savit Member

They say Allen could be the best of them all. We have the ability for him to ride the bench for a while. It would be a good situation, Personally i was hoping we stay at #6 and get Mayfield. Unfortunately at #3 looks like we're drafting Rosen. I just hate the fact that he has gotten injured a few times sounds like he's going to be injury prone. Not interested....

4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I get it, which is why i agree that we need to take a QB regardless. But even with that you do have to understand that we aren't getting a "3rd overall talent" player at 3rd overall this year. and FWIW mayfield is like a 50 dollar beer

5. ColoradoContrails

I'm just glad I quit drinking!:p

But your point about not getting the 3rd best talent, gets back to my other point which is that there should almost be two different rating systems: 1 for QBs and 1 for everyone else. The demands on a QB are FAR greater than any other position, especially in the mental aspect, and therefore the bust rate (and by bust I mean guys who are drafted to be FQBs but don't achieve that level - maybe become pedestrian starters, or backups, not necessarily outright busts) is much higher for them. When you rate a QB against the other players, you need to account for the mental demands, and this is very hard to quantify - much easier to measure height, weight, speed, muscle mass, jumping ability, etc. than how well someone can process information, so that aspect is left out of the rating component. If you could measure it somewhat accurately, and applied it to every player, I'm betting you'd see the top rated players being predominantly QBs.

Noam and GasedAndConfused like this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

I mean i agree for sure, but 3 of the 4 teams left in the NFL this year in the playoffs did not have franchise QBs. ben lost to bortles, brees lost to keenum. the final 4 Qbs were foles (career back-up that started due to injury and won the SB over brady) will be a backup to wentz in 2018, keenum (career backup that started due to injury and won the NFL champ game over brees) Min let him walk to sign cousins and keenum will start in Den. Bortles (3rd overall pick who was close to being cut this offseason but due to a surgery couldn't be cut) and of course brady.

7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The Eagles became the number 1 seed largely because of Wentz.

8. GasedAndConfused

exactly. if foles played the whole season, no telling what they would have done. as soon as wentz is healthy it's his job as well

CotcheryFan likes this.
  9. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

The opportunity to get a FQB is very rare. if you believe there are 3 potential FQBs available you have to take a chance. In my lifetime the Jets have drafted 5 1st rd QBs in the last 52 years. That is quite rare. One roughly every 10 years. Once we draft our new QB it will likely be another 10+ years before we may attempt to draft another. If our QB does not work out we might be waiting until the 2030 decade before we get our next. So let's hope we get the right guy.

Brook! and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

Fair point, but Wentz, Brees, and Rothlesberger - all FQBs - enabled their teams to get the chance to play for the SB, and of course there's Brady. And while this year proves that you need a good to great surrounding cast - depending on how good to great your QB is - it also shows that consistent success is based upon having that FQB. If that weren't true, Minn wouldn't have let Keenum walk, and Philly wouldn't be holding Wentz's place.

I've never said you CAN'T win a SB without a FQB, I simply maintain that it's easier to do, and to do over a long period of time with a FQB. OTOH, the Jets seem to have bought into the idea years ago that you could cut corners and win with a "dominant" defense and solid running game - "Ground & Pound" - but what have they won? It's time they returned to their roots and built a dynamic offense, which will consistently take them farther than their G&P recipe.

11. ColoradoContrails

And this is proof that the Jets have undervalued the QB position during ll those decades - not coincidentally the EXACT OPPOSITE philosophy of Werblin and Ewbank who took FOUR QBs the year they drafted Namath, because they knew how vital a FQB is to the success of a team. Since then the Jets have all but ignored that rule.

TwoHeadedMonster and Noam like this.
  12. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

This century, the last 17 years, only 5 AFC QBs have been to the superbowl. Brady, Rothlesberger, Flaaco, Manning and Gannon. I think that tells you how important a QB is to getting to the superbowl.

13. GasedAndConfused

I fully agree with that. teams with a true FQB will at least compete every year and make the playoffs most years. but once in the playoffs, it's usually the most complete team that wins. You really need both a solid QB and a pretty well rounded team. That's why I believe the 3rd pick for us has to be a QB

Brook! and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

this was a tiny block of shit that i found hilarious

well played

stinkyB likes this.
  15. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

agreed. But then comes the part of which 3 are the FQB...

To me it's potentially Rosen Mayfield and Darnold... but to MANY people, Allen is in that mix and not one of the 3 I listed.

ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  16. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

My list is the same as yours. Although, mine might been down to two Mayfield or Rosen. While I agree that Darnold is the safest pick I like Mayfield and Rosen more. But I will be happy if it is anyone other than Allen.

17. GasedAndConfused

to me it's really just darnold and rosen. allen is a 50/50 shot at best. mayfield has very little chance of being anything more then a game manager and is likely a career journeyman/backup

JetLifeLo likes this.
  18. JetLifeLo

same here bro. before last season I was for sure Darnold was the ONE... but he showed us over the past season that he has some flaws to his game..

If Mac is smart, he'd stay away from Allen regardless of his upside... Mac's job might be on the line and the jets are very much desperate for some kind of success, even if its just a playoff appearance. So drafting a guy that's in the same boat as Hackenberg (strong arm, suspect accuracy, needs a lot of time to learn) just shouldn't be something he's interested in doing again.

My pick is Mayfield over all but I'd be very happy with Rosen. I guess I could make a case for Darnold but I pretty much feel the same way you do about Darnold.

Brook! likes this.
  19. JetLifeLo

the common QB that I think everyone at least feels OK with is Rosen. I haven't heard or spoken to too many people that have bad things to say about Rosen outside of injury stuff.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Rosen still scares me. He stays in the pocket and takes hits. I wonder if he can last with his frame in the NFL. IN that sense Darnold is a safer candidate as is Mayfield. But all 3 have flaws. In regards to Allen I do not think he has a high ceiling. If you give Allen a high ceiling then every QB has a potential high ceiling. Allen's realistic ceiling if just about everything goes right for him is likely Blake Bortles. Arm strength and measurables are nice but showing the ability to actually play QB is a lot more important. Reading defenses, pocket presence, accuracy and throwing with anticipation is not some thing a QB suddenly learns after being drafted.

JetLifeLo and ColoradoContrails like this.