Cimini: McCagnan doesnt view Mayfield as top 3 pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I think a bigger part of it is the difference in injuries. Bones heal in a visable way and are often stronger post surgery than beforehand. Head injuries have no visble signs of healing, no easily diagnosable timetable for return to action, and make the junured party more likely to sustain another injury to the area than before the first injury.

The two situations are so night and day I don't bother to comapre them, and thats coming from somone who likes Rosen and would not draft Allen in the first round let alone at 3. Allens injury history does not scare me nearly as much as the fact that he couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat.

2. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

Very true, and the current climate in regard to brain injury is a very hot topic. And we all know how PR-conscious the NFL is, so if this is public knowledge, and he takes a bad shot, that's the first thing people will think about.

Harpua likes this.
  3. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Not that I'm an Allen fan, because I'd rather have Rosen or Darnold, but listening to the Jets fans is what's gotten this organization in trouble time and time again. I'm hoping they are not listening to the fan base, for a change.

KurtTheJetsFan, FJF and Noam like this.
  4. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Its sadly something I've dealt with a lot myself and is a huge PR problem for the NFL. Its the only thing that scares me about Rosen. I think the other reports of attitude and love for the game are overblown. You don't become that type of Mechanical passer by accident, he obviously works on his game and loves competing.

My youngest plays Offensive line and has played through broken fingers and toes, but I tell him if he ever gets hit in the head and gets woozy to get out of the damn game. The long term ramifcations are simply not worht it. He's an idiot when it comes to injuries like his old man though and will most likely not tell anyone if it happens. :(

KurtTheJetsFan and stinkyB like this.
  5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

To me, this article is about Rosen vs Mayfield. The media has done an excellent job, portraying Rosen as this injury ridden QB that is 1 concussion away from retirement when Mayfield has had the same # of concussions.

Allen's injury's don't concern me, it's his on the field play.

stinkyB, LAJet and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

This is a very unique QB year. Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield AND Allen all had incredibly impressive pro days. I truly have zero clue who we want (which is a good thing and speaks volumes to our FO being buttoned up).

JetFanInPA likes this.
  7. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Gotta love the Baker narrative -

he’s doesn’t have an arm - Goes out and throws 2nd hardest at combine. In other years, people would say he has a cannon...

he’s too short - statistical fewest batted down passes.

he can’t make NFL throws - statistically was the best in college at completing NFL type throws.

But we need someone who can throw down field like Allen - Baker was again statistically the best throwing deep in college.

But we need someone who can throw under pressure - Baker was the best in college.

Need a guy who is good at play action
    / throwing on the run - baker was #1 in college throwing on the run.

He won’t be smart enough to learn an NFL offense that’s why we need Rosen - Baker scores higher than all other qbs - 2nd highest score ever on football intelligence test.

Years from now, it will seem so obvious he was going to be the best qb from this draft

8. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

If he can be something between Jim McMahon and Drew Brees and be a legit starter I'll have an easy time rooting for him. I'll have the hardest time rooting for Rosen, he scares me too, that he might take his ball and go home if things don't go his way. I don't fully trust him, but think he's easily the best pocket passer. I wasn't surprised about that test with Mayfield, I expected it. Still wanna see the Wonderlic results for this year.

9. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

This ^ plus he "fits" this team's developing personality the best. He's a baller. He plays with heart. Height wise, I believe I recall seeing somewhere that he is the same height as Drew Brees....so much for that argument. Maybe he's the right guy, maybe not, but I do think this is who MM and company like.

10. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Momentum growing

11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

He is if you consider Cleveland may very well take Barkley #1, and then take Rosen/Allen/Mayfield/Darhold (whichever 2 are left over) at #4.

Or Giants may take Barkley #2 if they only 'love' one QB (say Rosen) and Cleveland takes Rosen #1.

Jets MAY get to pick between Rosen/Allen/Mayfield/Darnold with 3 of them left on the board.

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  12. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

If the Jets listened to their fans they would have had Marino, Sapp, probably never drafted Geno or Hackenberg, maybe would drafted Garropolo (as many liked him), avoided overdrafting defense for years, particularly DL (Gholston, Wilkerson, Richardson, Coples, Williams)... I mean to be fair, I doubt the fans would have done worse overall.

13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Though the fans on TGG are more knowledgeable than the typical Jets fan.

14. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

believe it or not, i have had 3 different GM's and head scouts ADMIT this simple fact to me over the years. a sensible fan can definitely pick as effective as the team they follow, without the bloated budget, travel, and modern technology. while its not that easy to decide exactly who fans would pick in a given slot, it surely can be done and i am sure someone has done a poll before every team's draft and compared results with the actual team selection. i would say a 5 year record would be reliable to look at.

15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

While I'd love to see a study like that we never will because it would likely show how poor GM and their scouting teams do in reality.

16. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

You forgot many fans wanting Ed Reed over Bryan Thomas.

17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

We have arguably an exceptional year for QBs in this draft. Not one, or two but four with outstanding credentials. We have a chance to get one of them . Yet most fans are now freaking out over which one and already issuing a preventive strike by poo pooing the yet to be made selection. We should instead be counting our blessings that we are finally in a position to get one.
    The margin of difference between the four is small and they all have flaws that need to be corrected. I will pretty much welcome any of them. It's about freaking time.
    As for the Jets fans making a better choice, that is laughable. Which Jets fans? There are at least four different voices in this forum.

Brook! and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  18. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Yeah I read Bowles comments and thought we're getting Mayfield. Though if Darnold/Rosen were there I dont know how they can pass on them for him.

19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I would think there are at least four different voices in the front office too. :D

20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

There is one ranked list for the draft, and one list only. That much we should know.