Suh signs with Rams after Jets rescind offer.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by NOVAJET, Mar 23, 2018.

1. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

He doesn't have a Williams dropping into his lap this year. He needs to work it and find talent. The trouble is even with the depleted D Line it's still way better than the O line even with their new center. Drafting a QB a #3 and not following up with a OL in the draft is not boarder line incompetent it's continued incompetence which is far beyond cause for dismissal. Mac better take smart pills or he'll be on the street in Jan '19.

I don't mind missing out on a DL this year, it's still a developmental year imho. Competitive yes, but still developmental. Draft and FA 2019 is the time to fill the remaining holes.

2. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I guess Suh thought that Jets Rewards Points were full of crap or the Jets re-thought the Conrad Dobler factor. I'm not sad the Jets didn't sign him. It was just a band-aid, Johnson style. Basically it was a ton of bucks for a one yr. deal vs. a punk that would've probably given us nothing as to re-building.

This wasn't a similar Bryan Cox/Miami puke signing situation. I wonder what the offer was in dollars and cents, though. Probably something mega stupid. See ya.

#242 jetophile, Mar 26, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  3. DefenseWinsChampionships

Could this be a classic case of the Jets front office/ownership playing hard ball with Suh, by utilizing/pulling off "a takeaway" sales tactic?

In other words a game of cat and mouse.

Show a man a boat load of cash with a deadline attached. Suh didn't bite & obviously ignored offer.

Suh hits the F.A market. Speaks with other teams. And now realizes that no other offers from team's A, B, C & D are anywhere near the type of original money that N.Y was throwing out there.

Suh & his agent then get together and decide to reach out to NY in order to do business together.

Food for thought.

4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

that's great to hear. The ariticle that was taking about Suh coming to the jets mentioned Suh is still a great run stuffer, and only Damion Harrison of the Giants was better last year. I don't know where the article got it's stats from....probably Damion

5. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

I love Suh

Mainly because he's nasty and crosses the line and I think defences need nasty sometimes.

However he is known to take plays off, we have just let one of those go. I think the aim here was to get Suh so we can fully evaluate Williams in 1v1 situations.

Suh needs to get his name up again with results after a quiet season in miami due to double teams.should go to the rams and wreck havoc with Donald. That would be fun to watch

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

6. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I'm in favor of Suh, but the Jets did the right thing. As each day passed it became obvious he was playing us to get more money from a team he'd rather play for. So, if he really didn't want to be here he wouldn't be the player we'd be paying all that money to.

joe and playtowinthegame like this.
  7. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Very little "big name" Free Agents are going to sign here until the team becomes a consistent winner AND until it's proven that Bowles is not on a yearly trial basis. The extensions given to Maccagnan and him, mainly him, were nice and all, but if this team doesn't improve over the next 9 months, he very well could be gone.

8. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

All I know is they better be able to find Front 7 help somewhere in the next few months, because outside of Williams and Williamson, the cupboard is pretty bare.

There will be games where it won't matter, because the secondary will be so on point, but most of the time you won't win without a pass rush and right now I don't see how this team is generating one after the opposing OL double or triple teams Williams. There's no one else in this front 7 to be concerned about when it comes to getting to the Quarterback.

Red Menace likes this.
  9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

One of the fundamentals that the Jets have never really understood is that money does not increase performance. Players actually play better when they are trying to get it than when they have achieved that goal.

This is why so many big free agent signings flop despite the player having been good before they signed the contract. A huge veteran free agent contract is about as likely to flop as a first round pick and it has much less upside than the pick because it constrains the cap in the process.

10. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

If they truly did offer him the biggest contract, he was probably was probably just using the JETS to drive up the offer from competitive teams. .... they finally realized it & said Eff Yeewwww

11. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I'm kind of bummed about this but it is what it is.

I think Suh may have been using the Jets to gain leverage with the Rams. If that's the case, good for us pulling out. Fuck him.

stinkyB likes this.
  12. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

The Jets got lucky two overrated players in Cousins and Suh turned down the teams attempts to overpay them and entice them to come here....if they just pick the QB they have rated last we're in business.

13. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Good player but he is 31 - has been involved in some shady incidents on the field, and ultimately the jets put a time stamp on the offer, which had passed without a concrete answer from Suh. This probably means that Suh was taking advantage of the jets, by publicizing that the Jets offer was the most, but had not actually set up a meeting with the jets, in order to gain leverage and hope another team (like the rams) would up their offer.

The thing that's more concerning about this is the fact that Chris Johnson was the one who publically retracted the offer. This is CJ's first instance of direct involvement regarding player negotiations and it wasn't needed. Maccagnan should have all control over personnel decisions and should have been the one to retract the offer.

Wonder what it was about the Suh ordeal that made CJ take the lead on it

14. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

That kind of talk gets my blood boiling. :mad:

15. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Suh didnt turn the Jets down, the Jets took back their offer, decided for whatever reasons that Suh wasnt a fit and not part of the direction they are looking to go. Luck had nothing to do with it.

16. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

They took back their offer because it became apparent he had no interest in signing and was using them as leverage...so yes they got lucky he didn't take their offer...It's funny how people are convincing themselves the Jets made a smart decision based a long term plan when it's really just them pulling an offer that they knew he wasn't taking.

GordonGecko and stinkyB like this.
  17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Every move you make is a learning opportunity. This one probably led to some reflection in the Jets management suite and hopefully will lead to further refinement in their approach to star free agents in general.

Cman68 likes this.
  18. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

If true the fact that this owner, general manager, and coach is still on a learning curve is scary shit.

19. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I agree wtih StinkyB, this gets me annoyed if they would even consider that. Chris Johnson has already taken a big stance against Trump in saying that players should be allowed to protest during the anthem if they wish to. I can't see them vetoing Rosen just for not liking Trump when the co owner is on record going against him.

Freddy Mondo, joe and Walt White like this.
  20. LV Coach

LV Coach Well-Known Member

I'm just happy we passed on Sue. He still may have some fire in the tank, but it doesn't go to far any more. There are some promising D's in the middle round of the draft. They come cheaper and with something to prove.

Freddy Mondo likes this.