Josh Allen's Pro Day....for the haters and supporters

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rickjet, Mar 23, 2018.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

A little reminder of the potential he brings
    Steps up in the pocket and fires an absolute strike. An nfl throw from an nfl offense

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  2. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Yes, there will always be exceptions.

It seems as though, according to others, Josh Allen is not only the exception, he's on his way to the HoF. His numbers are so low, it can only mean the OPPOSITE of what they indicate.

We're supposed to buy this.

101GangGreen101 and joe like this.
  3. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

It was a great throw. Josh Allen's top play highlight reel will look better than any of the other prospects'.

4. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

This is the best throw he made all season as he threw with great anticipation. It’s the throw that made me think he could be a great pro, but when you watch the tape you never see another one like it.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. Completion % doesn’t always correlate w on field accuracy.Afterall in order to complete a pass it takes more than just ball placement.The receiver must get open,Line must provide time & the receiver has to catch the ball. I don’t think anyone is gonna argue that Allen’s surrounding cast did him no favors.

The 60% completion % argument has validity but when there are clear concise reasons why Allen didn’t complete more passes at some point you have to look beyond a short sighted analytic that most certainly will be proven wrong as times moves forward. It seems silly to just completely write off a QB prospect bc of one stat.Afterall if he had played in an Air raid like some other QBs people seem to like better than Allen.we wouldn’t be having this discussion. Instead folks would be downplaying his stats saying he played in a gimmick system. Double standard

FJF likes this.
  6. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

I went to this game:

The only decent throws that Josh Allen made were the ones shown in the above highlights.
    Both myself and a buddy came away from the game not being impressed with Josh Allen.

GQMartin likes this.
  7. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

The problem is that the sample size (2 years) is too large + you can’t totally ignore NFL history (under 60% in college usually means you aren’t accurate enough to succeed in the NFL) because a guy can throw hard.

For me, I don’t want to draft a guy top 5 who I have to make excuses for poor play. Later round 1 is where a guy like him belongs imo.

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The supporting cast argument does Allen no favors. They might not have been AJ Green and Hopkins, but they rarely dropped passes. If you watch any of Allen's game, you can see all of the easy throws are extremely hard for him and he makes the harder throws somewhat easy. He isn't an accurate QB. I do agree with your premise tho that completion % does not correlate to accuracy.

9. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Dime DROPPED!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. That's where we differ. When I watch Josh Allen I don't consider him playing poorly. He shows command of the offense, uses his athleticism where he sees fit, doesn't turn the ball over & offsets passing misfires w. big plays downfield. Does Wyoming go 8-5 or win a bowl game w.o Josh Allen? No Way. More likely that's a 3 win team at best w. no Allen. He did more w. less.16 TDS against 6 TD's doesn't look so bad to me.either.

11. 101GangGreen101

To me, scouts are fascinated with finding that next hot shot QB that is comparable to the previous hotshot QB. Everyone is out there looking for the next Carson Wentz right now. Just like when everyone was out there looking for the next Andrew Luck. They'll even go as far as crowning super poor versions.

12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

That’s because his top potential dwarfs all others in this draft.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  13. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Reminds me of Big Ben

14. legler82

8-3 w/ Allen (lost to Oregon, Iowa and Boise St). 0-2 w/o Allen (lost to Fresno St and San Jose St). San Jose St won only won one other game on their way to a 2-11 record. If that doesn't speak to Wyoming's talent level or lack there of I don't know what does.

FJF and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  15. 101GangGreen101

This is how its done:

EAT YOUR HEART OUT JOSH ALLEN, this guy is dropping true dimes, show me a throw better then this one.

stinkyB and FJF like this.
  16. I think the surrounding cast argument is hard to counter. It's certainly not the be all end all...but no way can it be overlooked. Not as many drops this year but i saw quite a few watching 2016 tape. And bare in mind I was against Allen prior to 2017. While fewer drops this past season, guys rarely got open or created separation. Additionally while the OL gave him so-so time..they didn't give him a clean windshield forcing him to continually reset his feet.

How do you think the other 3 QB's would've fared in the same offense. Ive watched & dissected everyone of these guys & there is no way I think anyone of them would've done any better w. exception of MAYBE Rosen.

17. legler82

Can't get past the absolutely atrocious or non existent footwork.

#137 legler82, Mar 26, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  18. legler82

San Jose St's other win BTW was against Cal Poly a non-major..LMAO, but yeah, Mayfield, Jackson, Darnold and Rosen had it rough with their supporting casts...LOL

19. 101GangGreen101

Baker and Darnold are the only ones that had good supporting casts IMO. Rosen and Darnold I think are good at anticipating their receiver getting open, so I do think they would've done a little better in Wyoming's offense then Josh Allen. Allen is so confident in his arm, he doesn't anticipate receivers getting open. That line was pretty bad, so not sure if Rosen survives. Lamar IMO still dominates the competition, he accounted for the majority of his teams yards. Mayfield would suck.

20. 101GangGreen101

And he's still a better thrower of the football in game action. He is a true gamer IMO.

Imagine trading up for Josh Allen, when you could've had the superior player. You want to run RPOs? Lamar is the ultimate RPO QB in this era. Mac will trade up for Baker and I will absolutely throw up. I already have the stomach aches like when Hack came for those pre-draft visits.

That said, if we have to take a QB and we only have Mayfield or Allen, Allen is my pick (meh, but on board if it had to happen). Figure out a way to make it work.