Anyone Besides Darnold/Rosen at 3...We Failed

Discussion in 'Draft' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Mar 21, 2018.

1. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

2. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

Can you show me which game you watched? I've watched several full game tapes but have yet to see a game where Mayfield doesn't benefit heavily from playing in the spread and having superior talent on his team.

Not to say that he can't succeed though. But it will take a while and there are many spread QB's who had great stats in college but failed in the NFL.

3. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Mayock has Allen as the best QB in the class. Not that I agree,

4. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

I meant that I have been talking about their player rankings and scouting reports. That was the original point of the OP. Not the mock drafts. Mayock has Darnold #1 and Allen #2, then Rosen #3 and Mayfield #4

Both Jeremiah and Brooks have Mayfield rated higher than Allen. Brooks has Jackson over Allen too. Jeremiah thinks Mayfield has a chance to go top 5/6 pick overall.

They're a PITA to find on there but they're there.

The Path To The Draft Show after Allen's workout was pretty good I thought. The debate carried over there, and they had Jim Mora and Brian Billick on about it too. Mora and Billick were very cautious regarding Allen, as was Brooks. Of course Mora talked up Rosen. But he did say that it's up to Rosen to commit 100% from day 1. That's what will put him over the top he said.

Fwiw. I'm not saying it means anything. Just pointing it out.

There's a scout that puts out reports, Nolan Nawrocki. I'm looking forward to seeing what he says. Mostly about Mayfield and Allen. I expect the Darnold/Rosen reports to be good. Nobody gets em all right but he has been spot on at times. Btw, he skewered Geno. It was ugly but mostly right in the end.

LF911SC likes this.
  5. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

If you watched the tape you'd see Mayfield can and has made all the throws and has made them all with uncanny accuracy. He fits the ball into tight windows, he hits receivers in stride. There is no question about his accuracy and arm strength. His release is very quick as well.

SoylentGreen likes this.
  6. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Can't give Nawrocki too much credit for Geno. Everybody knew he had no chance of ever making it in the pros.

Mora and Billick are correct. On TV they probably wanted to tread lightly but if they had a dog in the fight behind closed doors both would probably steer clear of Allen. That completion percentage is going to look mighty ugly once he makes it to the pros. That will NOT improve

7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

When it comes to the success of spread vs pro style QBs in NFL (there is a 2 to 1 ratio in favor or pro style right now in NFL) I think you are confusing correlation and causation. Allow me to explain. Let's say there is a correlation between people who eat primarily cereal every morning for breakfast and their life expectancy being two years longer than these who do not. The cause of this increased life expectancy though is not the f...ing cereal. Typically people who eat primarily cereal tend to be more health conscious, exercise more, live healthier lifestyle, and that is the real cause for longevity. Now, you take the folks who do not eat cereal all the time, but go to the gym, eat yogurt and oatmeal, and also have a very healthy lifestyle. They are also going to live longer. The point being is that even though there some correlation between spread QBs appearing less in NFL that pro style, spread offense is not the cause of it. The cause could be that Colleges that happen to run pro style in average perhaps are able to get better talent out of high school, or many other factors. It does not mean let's say that if Payton Manning happened to be playing for spread offense, he would fail in NFL.

So, let's stop this myth of spread offense ruining QBs or being a cause of NFL failures, or spread offense is an obstacle for a prospect to "overcome". When you get a guy like Mayfield with his accuracy, and improvements and growth he showed every year, ATG performances in NCAA, even if you adjust for easier throws in the spread, you still got a major talent with solid chance of success in NFL. Spread offence or not... Now, with that said, time to get that box of cereal ready for breakfast.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Not so sure about that. But the pick where we took him was tough. I actually was shocked even tho La Confora had reported our interest. It was the nature of it tho. It was demeaning. It actually created a bit of a stir here. I pretty much lost any hope I might've had when I read it. I didn't believe we were gonna take him before that. I'm looking forward to see what he has to say about Allen. And Mayfield for that matter, compared to how I see them.

9. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

Yeah so which game should I watch?

10. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

11. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

One thing is for sure one of the top 3 are going to mess this process up. No way will 5 of these QB's pan out and become the next Aikman, Kelly, Bradshaw. Its just a statistical fact. Law of averages say the Jets are way overdue for some luck. But then again so is Cleveland.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

That isn't how statistics work. All 5 QBs panning out is unlikely but no less likely than any other individual outcome. And the law of averages says that if the Jets are a typical team (which we aren't, see Woody Johnson) and have an infinite number of picks (which we don't) then our success rate will converge to the league average. It doesn't say we're overdue to hit on this pick.

boozer32 likes this.
  13. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Unrelated but need your advice...

You know I really like Baker M..but these latest evaluations on NFL .com Mayock etc rate him pretty low

I started off liking Darnold and then OHio State exposed him as a fumbler/ intercept guy ..Mayfield OTOH BEAT Ohio STATE in Fiesta

What would you say to these so called experts?

Sorry to be a Doubting Thomas ..wish we could draft 2 QBs ahaha

boozer32 likes this.
  14. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Baker Mayfield is not going to be picked by the Jets. He is not a top 3 NFL prospect out of this batch and the real tell here is the Jets trade to #3. If the Jets were at all comfortable with hitching their wagon to Mayfield they would not have made that trade. To me that is pretty glaringly obvious.

This is not to say with certainty that Mayfield can't pan out and be Russell Wilson Jr. But he's a cocky little squirt and NFL teams are not spending a top 3 draft choice on the relatively outside shot that he beats the odds, goes against the template and becomes Russell Wilson Jr. I kind of knew this all along but the trade is the proof. The Mayfield fanaticism I think is higher on this board than anywhere else I've seen. For whatever reason he is just simply over rated here.

All that said though I kind of like him in a vacuum and I do hope he beats the odds and does well. But any hopes he does that as a Jet died with that trade to #3.

15. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Although I must say I did like the post a few pages back that suggested he would still grow and end up being 6'2" or 6'3" or whatever.

That my friends is fanaticism. :)

boozer32 likes this.
  16. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

How do any of us really know where NFL teams have these qb’s ranked? Who’s to say Mayfield didn’t shine in interviews + didn’t score the highest wonderlic, didn’t make the most accurate throws for teams in private workouts / show the most ability to lead, learn and run the offenses teams were looking to implement.

I think fans are going to be in for a shock in the coming weeks when things are leaked / and or come draft time.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This is pure opinion. I’m not sure how you can state this so matter-of-factly.

18. SoylentGreen

I see this said a lot, people doubting his arm... and yet if you actually looked at his film you’d see he completes more passes than anyone else and that it includes easy + NFL type throws.

Go read the SI article that just came out as they actually analyzed this very thing and concluded this very thing (Mayfield was best at making NFL type throws in college).

19. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

And here we go. You watched every play that Allen threw and just know that all those incompletions that lead to 56% were his fault. Had nothing to do with have no talent at WR. At the constant pressure in the pocket. Another 2 or so completions per game and then what? A different QB? Of course that comp % could be completely different in the pros with WRs who can catch.

One more time. 20 of 35 = 57% comp., 22 of 35 = 64% comp. Completion % argument is pointless, accuracy is where you deliver the ball, not some imaginary percentage.

BTW, don't comment on what you think they're really thinking if the cameras weren't on about a player. You have no idea, no one does, it's a pointless exercise. I could say behind closed doors they think Mayfield is a dick who everyone should stay clear of. And that would be pure bullshit too

20. SoylentGreen

Here’s the thing, we don’t have to analyze the 56%. We can take it for what it is. Bad/not good enough for any qb who has been drafted in the last 10 years. It’s the pro Allen people who have to figure out why / make excuses for it.

As far as 22/35, have seen you say 64% several times. It’s actually 62.86%. Over the course of a season 2-3 completions / game matters. Could end up being another 500+ yards.