Anyone Besides Darnold/Rosen at 3...We Failed

Discussion in 'Draft' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Mar 21, 2018.

1. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Denver getting to second doesn’t screw the Jets over. The Jets made this trade well aware that QB’s could go 1 and 2; whether it’s the Broncos taking a QB 2nd rather than the Giants doesn’t change that.

I agree it’s an odd trade, but the Giants trading out afterwards doesn’t change what the Jets were already planning for.

ColoradoContrails and Walt White like this.
  2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Silver lining if we take Allen — Bowles and Mac will be gone in two years. And we will likely be in a position to draft another QB for the next regime.

boozer32 likes this.
  3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I just hope the experts in this case are 100% right. There is a part of me that thinks that Allen as number 2 or 3 is the one Mac is secretely targeting. If am right, we will ride with the vets for a year and see. If it was just Rosen and Darnold the trade up is a lot more risky.
    Incidentally, the comparison of Allen to Hack is insane. My $.02 cents

4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I'm more and more convinced that Allen is one of the top 3. It certainly is in most expert sources opinion. Now the comparisons to Ben/Dan Marino are flying. Mayfield is flying under the radar so who really knows

5. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Agreed. Must must must have 3 QB's in mind where you are more than 'content' with landing.

Really hope Browns swerve us all and take Allen. I'm a supporter of Rosen or Mayfield, but shit, if Sam is there at 3 as well.... it's going to be tough for Macc. Good problem to have I guess? He's gotta make sure it hits.

NCJetsfan and boozer32 like this.
  6. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Exactly what I expected. We always think accuracy = completion percentages. You realize it's ball placement. Completion percentages jump up drastically with literally a couple of completions. 20 - 35 = 57%, 22 - 35 = 64%.

We can't be overly serious, we don't know enough to think we're so right. Wasn't trying to be a dick, lol

#86 LF911SC, Mar 22, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Personally, it seems that most of the angst for the Jets long suffering fans circles around what if Rosen and Darnold are gone. There is a love/hate for either Allen and/or Mayfield so over 50% of the Jets will be pissed with the third choice.
    But, pissed or not, the idea of not drafting a QB at three will piss nearly 100% of the Jets fan base.

8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Anyone who makes the Allen - Hack comparison is solely looking at the college completion percentage and nothing else. All the QBs have flaws and have a certain level of risk attached to them. Rosen just may be the riskiest of them all with his injury concerns.

Either way, Mac has 3 QBs graded very highly and I do believe those 3 QBs are Darnold, Rosen & Allen and one of them will be the pick at 3.

Rockinz and LF911SC like this.
  9. LF911SC

Think too many, those who are so over the top in their love of either Allan or Mayfield is because they expect us to screw it up. The Allan fans are afraid we'll take Mayfield and Allan will become Big Ben while Mayfield becomes Manziel. Mayfield fans are afraid we'll take Allan, he'll be Hack II while Mayfield goes on to become Brees

Neither group seems willing to understand why Macc would go with the one they don't like. And never have so many bought into the idea that they know better, lol

Brook!, legler82 and LAJet like this.
  10. LF911SC

Agree. I think you can always justify picking Allan. If he doesn't develop it's really on him. He has every tool you could ask for to become a successful NFL QB, so who would kill him for that pick. To me given the system he played in, his physical limitations, it takes more to project Mayfield as an NFL QB. He very well may turn out to be better but the odds, to me, are longer. But I get the appeal too so.......

Noam likes this.
  11. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

That's a shit outlook.

LAJet and LF911SC like this.
  12. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Could be Mayfield. They went to his Pro Day and have a private workout and pre-draft visit scheduled.

13. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Actually, if you check out some other boards (Browns and Bills for example), their fans think pretty much the same thing. Here are some:

https://scout.com/nfl/browns/Board/...d-is-Josh-Allen-Look-at-these-stats-114014367
    https://www.twobillsdrive.com/commu...-the-nfl/?page=3&tab=comments#comment-4983427

Josh Allen has the highest ceiling of anyone in this draft class, and that's making scouts salivate. When JaMarcus Russel threw the ball 80 yards, the same thing happened, when Kyle Boller threw the ball 60 yards from his knees....the same thing happened. You can't teach arm strength, and that makes scouts lose their minds. I posted some of his other problems last night, so I'm not gonna dive back into that here.

His skills are incredibly raw, it's like this dude is playing football in the backyard and slinging it all over the joint. Even with such poor mechanics, every positional coach in the league is saying "I can fix him", and we know how that goes. Hopefully, I'm wrong and the kid turns out to be the next Brett Favre. But that risk at #3 is more than this organization can withstand.

14. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Sure it could be, I just don’t think it is though. They are gonna go to all the pro days and have all 4 in for pre draft visits. Mostly in order to not tip their hand at all.

15. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I also think there is a lot of excitement and energy after trading up among Jet fans. There simply is not enough news to quench our thirst and too much time before the draft creating all kinds of anxiety and tension. We can see the result it in all the ridiculous scenario threads that are popping up and we can see it in the I hate QB A, B, C and D camp. It seems to me there less I love a particular QB but more I really am in fear of picking a particular QB. It is created many different camps here on the boards. I imagine the tension will only get worse as we get closer to the draft. It might be good practice to take second and make sure we are treating each other with respect even if we disagree and it appears we are all going to disagree quite a bit on this pick. I am not an Allen fan but I will be excited no matter who we take. I recall when we drafted Todd, O'Brien, Nagle, and Pennington and getting a possible FQB does not come around often and it is quite exciting. April 26th can't get here soon enough.

16. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Yes but my point was that those QB's that had accuracy problems , it may have been something not physical but mental that caused them to be inaccurate, perhaps the program they were exposed to in college that caused them to be forced into a habit that stayed with them? Or they just don't react well under pressure? Many on the list were drafted in the later rounds so there must have been other issues?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Allen would be a dream come true. He’s the best QB in the draft. Can’t wait for his pro day Friday!

18. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind if his completion percentage sucked and his yards per attempt was still high. If you can drive your team 8 yards down the field per attempt with 57% instead of 62% that says your losing accuracy for distance and the efficiency is still their. In Allen's case his yards per attempt suck compared to Mayfield, Rosen and Darnold.

Let me put it another way back in 1972 the Jets beat the Colts 44 to 34. Namath was 15 for 28 which wasn't all that great. He averaged 17.7 per throw or a little over 33 yards per completion. He did a pretty good job of driving the team down the field with a mediocre completion percentage. Allen isn't doing that. He has a big arm but is throwing the same kind of passes the other guys are. That's why Mayfield looks great in comparison. It's a red flag. That doesn't mean he can't be fixed but there is nothing in college to say that Allens big arm translates into huge downfield plays that compensate for his lack of accuracy.

19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I feel like I'm in the twilight zone reading this post.

xxedge72x likes this.
  20. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Allen will be better than Wentz. You need to look at his film. He’s going to be a stud. Is he perfect NO but his potential coming from a pro style offence and his physical attributes screams STUD pro QB