Jets acquire #3 overall pick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Cat, Mar 17, 2018.

1. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Dr​
    Unfortunately for Teddy if he was capable of more he didn't get a chance to show it because their entire offensive philosophy was based on AP pounding the rock.I like Teddy but I don't understand the signing. He should have gone to Buffalo where he had a shot. If/when we pick a QB at 3 he is going to have to battle McCown and the rook for playing time.

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

it all depends if we swing and miss or swing and hit. the draft is a crapshoot. if we land the next wentz, it's a great trade, if we land the next RG3 we get set back 5 years and lost out on a lot

with the skins case, they gave up a ton of picks for RG3. the rams with those picks got ogletree, robinson, jenkins, and a few others. they then drafted goff not to long after and are now a good team. the skins whiffed on RG3 but were lucky enough to find cousins in the 4th round. had they gotten cousins, ogletree, robinson, and jenkins they would have been a better team for not making the trade.

FWIW CBS sports mock (which is overall terrible BTW) has the colts getting C price and OLB key with the jest 2 2nd rounders. 2 players I would have loved to see the jets get in the 2nd round

not only that but we could be stuck between allen, mayfield, and jackson at 3, none of which are worth the 3 picks and surely 1 or 2 of them would be there at 6. jackson would for sure. I would have rather had jackson key, and price then just allen or just mayfield. If we get darnold or rosen it's worth it but that's a big if

3. GasedAndConfused

You can't use circumstance to evaluate talent. mac has had 3 2nd round picks. maye is great, smith and hack are busts. we gave up 3 second rounders in this trade, so even if you wanted to use history, chances would be we gave up a maye like quality player at minimum

4. GasedAndConfused

maybe buffalo wasn't interested? with the jets he'll battle a 39 year old journeman QB for the starting job. with a contract full of incentives. it's not a bad position to be in

5. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

You have to realize we signed teddy before we made the trade to #3. Nothing was set in stone that we were going to get a QB at #6. Even still I think we can trade teddy or get some Draft picks from a team in need during the season.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. One of the best positions a rebuilding team can be in is picking top 5 on draft day w. a FQB or potential FQB already in house. This coming year we aren't going to be very good.There's a very good chance we're picking top 5 next offseason & w. the QB already here we'll have all sorts of options to really start the true ascension back to winning football. We can either trade out in a scenario similar to the RG3 trade which will assure us a boatload of picks or we can stay at our spot & land the best non QB prospect in the draft; Hopefully in the form of a Franchise LT, offensive playmaker or a edge rusher. Same thing kind of applies to FA as well..we'll have a ton more flexiblity as well as direction.

#1006 KurtTheJetsFan, Mar 19, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2018
  7. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Looking at our FA acquisitions I doubt we will end up with a top pick. With 2 good CBs our defense even without a pass rusher should keep us in games. Long will make both guards better. Our QB situation should be good all season. If McCown had stayed healthy last year we likely would have won 7 games. We have the potential to be a playoff contender next year.

While long term we are better off tanking next year I doubt it is going to happen. The team is already much better than last year.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

IDK. we landed the 6 spot thanks to the niners going on a 5-0 run to end the season. objectively we are better then we were last year. we could wind up picking in the mod range of the 1st round. Also depends how many Qbs you see as franchise Qbs in this draft

9. I think we're better...but we're still extremely young & still in a transitional period. We overachieved last season & I think we come back to earth alittle bit this year. If we get off to a rough start the "Fire bowles" talk will really become loud & clear which could affect the final record.

Don't get me wrong I'm not rooting for a tank...I just have a funny feeling it's gonna be one of those years where we look like a more complete team headed in the right direction..but still missing some impact components as well as a young group that still hasnt fully grasped how to win games.Could see alot of blown leads late/close losses again this season. That's what young teams do;Especially young teams w. Todd Bowles at the helm who shrivels up into a frightened turtle ln close games

#1009 KurtTheJetsFan, Mar 19, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2018
    ColoradoContrails, NCJetsfan and Noam like this.
  10. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I do agree we over achieved but we also played competitive all year. Adding Johnson should make the defense a lot better. The QB situation is more stable, the OL has to do better, we get Enuwa back but I agree if we start bad it could snowball. The team had a lot of character last year and played above themselves and they are very young. I can see it going either way. Would love a top draft pick in 2019 but I don't see us picking top 5. Maybe top 10.

11. GasedAndConfused

i mean we won 5 games last year. the last 3 were lost because petty sucks and mccown was hurt. now we have a better back-up since we have mccown and teddy. losing whoever wins the job won't be as big of a dropoff as playing petty was. enunwa coming back is big and hopefully stuart or hansen can step up in year 2. we improved the o-line a little replacing johnson with long. we didn't lose anyone that really hurts us. our secondary should be tough. maye and adams in year 2, johnson and claibrone on the outside. skrine in the slot. last year our number 2 CB position was garbage. now claibrone takes that role and is one of the best #2 Cbs in the NFL and johnson on the other side is a top 5 CB in the NFL. skrine is one of the better nickel backs but not starting material. Plus we still have the draft as well. maybe in the 3rd or 4th we can get a solid player. we won't get any help from the 1st or 2nd round since we traded both 2nd rounders and our 1st has to be a QB who will sit in 2018. plus we can still add more players in FA

Noam likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I hear ya. How many great players in the draft are Jets fans and want to play for the Jets? He would be a great add if we knew we had a QB. I really hope Teddy is healthy and can return to his 2016 pre-injury form. Mac has to find a FQB this season or he's history, so just rolling the dice on Teddy's being fully healthy and being the same player he was pre-injury is just too risky.

I loved Teddy at Louisville and wanted the Jets to draft him. I was so pissed when that idiot Idzik didn't!!!! I feel confident that if Teddy wins the starting job and plays great, that the Jets will re-sign him unless he just doesn't like living and playing in NJ/NY, doesn't like Bowles, or some other team with a better chance of winning the SB blows him away with a better offer.

I think it would be a great problem to have both Teddy and the rookie play great, and have the Jets have some real security at QB for a couple of years. At that point, they could trade one of them for a high pick or picks.

13. NCJetsfan

If Mac has ruled out Mayfield, then he doesn't deserve to be an NFL GM. In that case, he'd better pray that Allen develops into a top 5 QB and doesn't bust, because I believe that Mayfield is going to be a very good to great NFL QB.

Noam likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

Based on what I've read, Mac will be pretty equally happy with any of the top 4 QBs. He probably does prefer Rosen and Darnold over Mayfield and Allen, but just because that's his bias/preference, doesn't mean that he would be making the right choice. He may even prefer Allen over Mayfield because of the height issue and Mac seems to like big, strong-armed QBs. If so, he'd better be right about Allen, because Mayfield is gonna be a very good NFL QB if not a star. I think there's a very good chance that Darnold and Rosen go 1-2, so Mac probably will be faced with the choice of Mayfield and Allen.

Mayfield's arm is almost as strong as Allen's, he has more arm talent overall, light years better accuracy, better leadership, is better able to extend plays and create, has a much better football IQ. Mayfield is a much safer pick and a much better pick.

I believe that Mac trade up out of fear. He knows that if he doesn't find a FQB this offseason his job with the Jets and as an NFL GM are history. He better let fear guide him in choosing between Mayfield and Allen and go with the smarter, safer pick in Mayfield and not let some stupid bias against shorter QBs make him go with Allen.

#1014 NCJetsfan, Mar 19, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  15. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

Can anyone please tell me if there is a big difference between Flacco and Allen? Is Flacco's scouting report better then Allen's

16. GasedAndConfused

we can all have out opinions, but calling him an idiot is harsh. I think mayfield isn't even worth of a 1st round pick let alone top 3. he's the latest "hype" QB that shot up the draft recently and those very rarely work out in the NFL. he lack talent, his film is unimpressive nothing screams anything more then a project QB with limited upside. I'm not high on allen either but the mayfield love around here is flat out crazy

17. NCJetsfan

Absolutely phenomenal post, one of the best ever here at GangGreen.com as far as I'm concerned. The GIFs are great and spot on to illustrate your points, but those articles are brilliant as well. If Bates definitely plans to implement those ideas (which he should) due to our underwhelming OL, then Mayfield should be excellent if not perfect for our offense. The bootlegs and rollouts should help minimize the poor play of our underwhelming OL. Tomlinson is a very good blocker and can seal one edge. We just have to hope that Legget can get healthy and can block or that the Jets will get another decent TE. If Ed Dickson is still available, he's a darned good blocker. With Bowles wanting to focus more on the rushing attack, play action could be deadly, and Baker excels at that.

ColoradoContrails and xxedge72x like this.
  18. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

It was a smart move to move up and they are not taking anything but a Quarterback.

If you don't have a Quarterback, you will not be a consistent winner in the NFL. A Quarterback can mask many of your negative issues.

Let's just hope we pick the right one.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

You're the one who doesn't understand.

He is anything BUT a gimmicky QB. Yes the fact that he played in a spread offense is somewhat of a concern, but other QBs have made the transition just fine. Mayfield has a very high football IQ, and he has the pinpoint accuracy, arm that can make all the throws, the maneuverability, the ability to extend plays and create, and fire/drive to be the best to go with it. Anyone that bets against Mayfield is clueless.

He'll have to learn the WCO dropbacks/footwork, and get used to taking snaps from under center. With his work ethic, chip on his shoulder, fiery competitiveness, and burning desire to succeed, I have no doubts that he will master those things. He will also need to learn, like most collegiate QBs, to read more complex NFL Ds and recognize blitzes. Again, I have no doubts about his ability to do so.

20. NCJetsfan

No. You don't trade all those 2nd round draft picks to get a RB, not matter how great he may be, especially when you don't have a QB, and if you don't get one this offseason, you're likely to be unemployed come next season.