Jets acquire #3 overall pick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Cat, Mar 17, 2018.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Again hyperbole. Horrible is a gigantic stretch. He only had a handful of pass plays. If he was horrible then we would need to find a new adjective to describe Mayfield in his small sample size. That demanded more time story is a made up one. He was going to play more as the North only had 2 QBs since Falk did not play and Mayfield was going to play a few snaps. The plan was never for Lee to play the entire second half. That game was too important for Allen for him to get just a couple series.

2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

So my point is: Allen NOT the target

3. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Maybe but the fact remains there wasn't a lot of screens. The passing game was a very aggressive down the field attack even though they lacked the line and skill players for it.

4. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

All reports I heard leading into the game indicated Mayfield was not expected to play. I’m not sure when everyone decided he would play, but I believe it was a late decision.

Furthermore, if we are to believe Mayfield, he flew in (albeit late) immediately leaving his mother’s hospital bed.

And yes, I agree Mayfield did not have a good outing at the Senior Bowl. That being said, Mayfield had a substantially higher quality body of work in comparison to Allen so his performance here is weighted differently.

5. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

couple things......at 3, allen and mayfield are likely NOT the favorites. at pick 6, yes. but not at 3. they have to be thinking darnold or rosen.......

geez as of now giants and jets are 2 and 3. the last time that happened 1981. giants took taylor and jets mcniel. several years later the jets chirped that taylor would have been their selection if he was available at 3. not sure if i buy that as it may be a way to save face, especially after passing on marino in 83 and having their 82 pick (crable) oft injured.

Walt White likes this.
  6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

It's a matter of mathematics that your chances of success increase if you have four of them rather than one.

jaywayne12 likes this.
  7. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

To be honest knowing Hess...he was the one who put the kibosh on Sapp because of the drug thing. I have no doubt with Taylor a known coke fiend Leon could've stepped in and ordered us not to draft him.

8. Ralebird

Well, there you have it - the gospel according to Samuel R Gold. What more could you need?

9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

There is one thing only that we all should agree on, that there isn't a soul at TGG that knows for sure who our number one QB target is. We might guess it, we might think it, we might challenge the outcome but that is a very closely kept secret.

10. Ralebird

No. There's more than one thing we should all agree on. Any draft choice is a crap shoot.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

If we all did agree, then the flood of after the fact criticism about Mac picks should really be a fraction of what they are.

12. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Yep. Mac has the dice! Now we need Mac to roll 7 or 11

13. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Wow.
    Just.
    Wow.

xxedge72x and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Seriously? You're gonna compare Mayfield to Geno Smith? Unbelievable! ROFLMAO

xxedge72x and Walt White like this.
  15. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

The Senior Bowl was the definition of a game of two halves for Josh Allen. The first half, he looked pretty bad. Second half, he lit it up, but even then I was a bit worried, since it looked like he was locking onto targets.

Mike White was the only guy out there that I noticed looking off defenders and going through progressions regularly. Whether he does this on real game tape is another question.

16. NJJets20

NJJets20 Active Member

Mayfield/Rosen/Darnold. Nobody else.

17. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Invoking Geno is a brilliant 1-2 punch. It first suggests he's lacking between the ears. Then it also suggests that Mayfields numbers are inflated by the air raid offense he came out of.

Because you know, we're stuck in 2012 when Air Raid QBs just can't succeed in the NFL. It's not like, you know, we'll ever see a former Air Raid QB win the Super Bowl and earn MVP honors in doing so, or anything.

K'OB, Walt White, NCJetsfan and 2 others like this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

First, I never said "there's not NFL caliber talent at the Senior Bowl", I said that none of them were in the NFL yet, and while a good number of them will become pros. they haven't played at that level and speed yet. There's a difference that I think you'll agree.

Second, because the players come from all different systems, theygame plans and plays they use for the game are pretty simplified,

Third, he did struggle in his first entry into the game, and looked like the player everyone has questions about. It's good that he came back in and did well, but I'm afraid that's the type of player he is, based upon his record: does well, then sucks, he's inconsistent and you never know which Allen will show up, and for how long. Can he learn to be consistent and achieve his potential? Well that's the hope, but that's a lot to ask for.

Fourth, while the Senior Bowl is an important yardstick, it is only one game. It seems like you're offsetting all his prior games with this one outing. I don't think you intend to say that, but you're giving a huge amount of weight to one game vs. his career.

I do appreciate that you're trying to offset a lot of preconceived notions about Allen, but I didn't have any bias when I first started checking out his videos months ago. I heard that he, Darnold, and Rosen were all considered the top prospects, and if anything, I began by hoping he was the "sleeper" because I knew we weren't going to get the 1st or 2nd pick, and hoped we could steal him. But as I watched him I began asking myself: "Is this REALLY the guy they're all excited about?" And at first I questioned myself, but as I watched more, and then began hearing others question him, I realized that I wasn't crazy. I do admit that I haven't watched as much as you and some others, and I never watched an entire game, so maybe I'm missing a lot of important information, but I think I've seen enough to remain convinced that he's got some serious flaws that may not ever be fixed. If the Jets take him I sure hope I'm wrong, and I will root for him to prove me wrong.

Question: Does anyone know what Allen's (and the other QBs) Wonderlic score is?

19. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Big time duck and weave move that post of his was, lol

Some shuckin' and jivin' too

edit: @xxedge72x saw you had a similar response that I didn't see, lol.

#919 Walt White, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    xxedge72x likes this.
  20. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

[​IMG]

NCJetsfan and Walt White like this.