Jets acquire #3 overall pick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Cat, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

But he'll fix that when he's under pressure in the NFL in warp speed?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I don't know will Rosen stop throwing the ball off his back foot when he has pressure in his face? Will Darnold continue to write checks that his arm can't cash? Will Mayfield be able to adjust to throwing into MUCH tighter windows? I guess will have to wait and see.

3. legler82

If you don't mind, I'll write whatever the f*ck I want. You can spare yourself by putting me on ignore.

4. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Playing against better teams, in bad weather, with no protection, and little help from the WR's?????

lol, his Wyoming experience has prepared him well for the Jets.

NYJetsO12, johnny, GatorGar and 3 others like this.
  5. Walt White

Yeah, we will. But we;re talking Allen. I guess that you think Allen has a better chance tho, that the other guys' shortcomings are more valid.

Looks to me in your staement that Mayfield doesn't have to correct a flaw tho, and you don't think he cant do that. I say he can.

#865 Walt White, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  6. Walt White

I hope so. But I'm responding to a stated flaw and I still haven't gotten an answer as to why and how that will be corrected. Especially consider the grade of competition being in another stratosphere of class.

7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I don’t really care what you write because I don’t really take it seriously. It’s just funny to me when people think THEY have the answers because they watch games. You know, because no one else does. It’s sad, yet funny.

8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I think that’s the fairest comparison I’ve seen. To me that’s his worst case scenario if he doesn’t fix his flaws, he’ll be a bigger, stronger, more athletic Blake Bortles type. Someone who can wow you one play and make you shake your head the next. If he does fix his flaws at next level, look out you got yourself a top 5 QB.

9. BacktoQueens

His flaw was being under constant pressure?
    You correct that by giving him more time in the pocket, and coaching on not forcing it when it's not there. When the pocket was clean he threw very well.

I don't think he has any more of a flaw there than the other prospects, which the Senior Bowl showed on a level playing field.

10. legler82

I don't think Allen has better chance just as good as good a chance as any. With regards to Mayfield, he has flaws. He throws the ball late IMO; something you can afford to in the Big12 but will hurt you in the NFL. You know what other Big12 QB used to have the problem? It's Geno Smith. Coincidentally, the senior year stats are practically identical.

71.2 CMP% 4205 YDS 42 TDs 6 INT

71.0 CMP% 4340 YDS 41 TDs 5 INT

11. legler82

I agree that Bortles is the floor.

12. Walt White

So just as good then. Okay, I thought you weredeclaring that Allen was superior prospect but see you're tempering that. .

Other than that i'm not really interested in statistics at this time, or bringing up yeah, but the other guy sucks too and is worse. Or rationalizations why one thing is okay in one conference for one guy but not another guy in different conference;.

13. BacktoQueens

If Bortles is the floor, Cam Newton/Big Ben are the ceiling.

14. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Still better than Mike Glennon being the ceiling..

15. legler82

You cared enough to respond with that spare me bullsh*t. Posting a bunch of videos of other people's opinions and stats is not an opinion. It's sad when people presents these things that everyone is privy to as such. Just watch the player and say what you think.

16. Walt White

Okay. But I'm really seeing a guy that has some serious work to do and that that flaw is a killer. And it's not a given that he gets it right. See my previous posts also.
    I don't care who's right. Really my response was about the flat out statements that one guy is definitely the goods as opposed to the other. And it looked like that was the direction it was taking, Not with you tho.

17. BacktoQueens

What flaw, or serious work, are you referencing?

18. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

The game appears to fast for him. He bails out of the pocket far too often. He doesn’t do a great job of scanning the field (doesn’t find the open man as much as you like), goes to his first read far too often. Doesn’t always set his feet, due to feeling pressure, which forces a lot of errant throws. To me he doesnt make the easy throws look easy. Much like Sanchez, there is a lack of feel to his game. Doesn’t hit wr’s in stride, or grow accurate screen passes with touch. He’s not a natural rhythm thrower. Doesn’t ever get hot like the other top 3 qbs in this draft and take over a game. The great qbs make it look easy (Brady, Brees, Manning, Rodgers). The other top 3 qbs do this. Allen does not.

Could he end up great sure. Do I think he will. Nope.

19. BacktoQueens

I appreciate that you are watching games and formulating your own opinions on the matter.

I'm embedding 2 cut ups for Allen.
    One is against Air Force which I like as I feel it's an average Allen game. Wasn't spectacular, wasn't bad.

Compare the game to your notes:
    Does he take a beating? yes, protection horrible
    Is he bailing out of pocket when not needed? no
    Does he throw well when he has a pocket? yes
    Is he finding open receivers and hitting them in stride? yes
    Does he force throws that aren't there? yes
    Does he throw off one foot at times? yes
    Does he make some hard throws look easy? yes
    I understand your take on reads, this is also a pro style system with slower developing plays and subpar WR's.
    Imo, there is no dink and dunk, and he earns all his receptions. I'm not seeing problems reading field or going through progressions.
    Also check out footwork when under Center, and his play action. It's very good imo.
    But I do agree with forcing some throws, or throwing off one foot and relying on arm strength at times.

Also embedding Senior Bowl snaps, as that is level playing field with quality protection and receivers.
    Looked very good.

20. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Bottom line for me is that:

With Allen you are hoping he develops into something he was not in college (a great qb), with the other 3 prospects you just want them to do what they showed they can do in college.

It takes a lot better scouting (plus some luck) to be able to project or hit on a guy like Allen vs the other guys.

If the other three guys were not available + we are picking outside the top 5, then yes Allen could be in play. There’s a reason the Jets moved up, but it wasn’t for Allen. He’s too risky.