Jets acquire #3 overall pick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Cat, Mar 17, 2018.

1. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Well you could say the same thing about recent Penn State RB's with Barkley but nobody does.

You can poke holes in all these guys, let's be fair. Rosen has the concussion issues, Allen the accuracy issues, Mayfield the possible atitude issues plus Big 12 QB's rarely succeed at the pros these days either, Darnold had a lot of turnovers for a big-time QB.

2. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

So trade down to 10th then no? 15th? I mean..not guarantee there either right? Lets go for a qb in the second round.

The Jets history has shown that they could have 10 second round picks...without a franchise qb...hey, its a matter of opinion if your chances increase from the 4th rated qb in draft to the 2nd. That's all. Love it.

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree, I was just suggesting the only scenario where Macc MIGHT take Barkley, but I noted that I don't think this will happen.

4. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Wentz wasn't considered gold and there were only 2 QBs that year.

5. JetsKickAss

No, I am saying that the history of USC QBs in the last 15-25 years isn't that good, that's all.

Lots of guys who clearly should have been good QBs or at a minimum long-time quality backups. Instead, many are out of the NFL or 3rd-string.

6. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Thanks Edge

There's pros and cons in every report of every player ever, except maybe for a guy like Bo Jackson and a few others.

Some times people will see a part of a report and latch onto something because it fits what they want it to or an impression they have. Usually a piece meal part of something bigger from the media that gains traction.

There's a few guys here making great cases for QB's and are in agreement over a specific guy, but will hang themselves over another guy they don't agree on if we grab him.

They only guy that isn't getting that reaction for the most part is Darnold.

I think we'll get Rosen or Allen in the end

7. ColoradoContrails

I'm not an expert, nor do I have access to all the info/tape like Macc does, but from what I have seen, Allen has accuracy issues that, even if fixable, won't get fixed overnight. Plus, he'll need to learn a whole new system, some version of a WCO, unless the Jets decide to tailor their system to him (which is what I would do, but they won't).

And this is speculation on my part (in contrast to the hard, cold, facts:D I've just presented), but I suspect Allen's accuracy problems are rooted in his difficulty in his timing of players in motion, especially cutting across his field of vision...long routes, away from him are easier to time, with more time to mentally calculate the timing of the throw; much less time for quick routes on shorter throws, and that's where he seems to struggle. I may be completely full of shit with this theory, but it makes sense to me. And I don't know if he can improve it/fix it with more practice, but maybe he can.

Anyway, that's my reasoning for why I don't think Allen can start his first year. I should point out though that since I posted that assessment, I read several posts from Kurt and MeanDean that have made me reconsider Allen's readiness/fitness for the Jets. I don't completely buy their conclusion, but it has made me think that Allen could be an option as the 4th choice for Macc, and maybe even ahead of Darnold.

Will-I-Am-Not likes this.
  8. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

And many consider this a four QB draft so theoretically the second spot in a two QB draft should be worth more than the third pick in a four QB draft. Also, the QB's this year have as many negatives as Wentz did. The only one negative that Went had was that he played at a small school.

9. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

You have to keep in mind, you will really have no idea if Bridgewater is truly healthy prior to the draft.
    His knee has checked out ok, he has been cleared to play since the start of last season, he practiced for the last 10 weeks and saw a hand full of snaps at the end of a blowout win. 4 plays and a couple of kneel downs if I remember correctly.
    If a QB is not taken at 3 and Bridgewater does not return to his prior form, chances of drafting a QB next year are pretty slim. The we likely won't be drafting top 2-3. QB is the one spot on a roster that is near impossible to fill. RB happens to be the easiest.
    Having too many FQBs on your roster is a problem every GM, Coach, and reasonable fan would love to have.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Is there another school in that period of time with a long line of successful NFL QB’s?

11. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

12. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

13. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

This was always the class to wait for. The fact that the gilding has chipped off some this year doesn't change that. Teams didn't care to move up last year knowing this year would be better. Now they say the next two years won't be as good as this year for QBs so the feeding frenzy you are seeing now makes perfect sense.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Do you have a link? I've been saying that for months now.

15. ColoradoContrails

I agree, and furthermore, if they want Nelson instead of Barkley, I could see them giving the #2 to the someone else - Broncos, and then at #5 will almost certainly have Nelson, plus more premium picks.

16. JetsKickAss

No you can't. There have been numerous "can't-miss" USC QBs that have flopped. Nothing like that from Penn State RB's.

17. JetsKickAss

Not sure, but the number of flops from USC might indicate that the quality of competition and/or the way they play QB isn't conducive to playing in the NFL.

18. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Interesting thing here:

Louis Riddick compares Josh Allen to Dan Marino in college. Here are Dan Marino's college statistics:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/dan-marino-1.html

So, to answer your question. We know that Allen has talent, and a ton of upside. The videos demonstrate that his accuracy is not a result of the talent around him or his offensive line... he flat out misses, often. There is absolutely no question that he's the least accurate of the top QBs in this class. Further, there is a ton of evidence supporting the fact that his decision making is not NFL ready. This is why, in my opinion, Allen would benefit greatly from sitting. Allen has the talent that you want to cook slowly and bring out. If you play Allen day 1, then you are putting all his major flaws under the microscope from the word go. Can you image, here in NY especially, that going over well? When does anyone in NY ever have patience for someone to come along like that?

Maybe Allen will live up to his potential one day. We've seen that not happen so many times. Individuals will have different views obviously, and no one's view is illegitimate around this issue. Personally, I'm tired of potential projects. I'm tired of the Christian Hackenbergs. Give us a guy who is going to play and be successful based on what they can do, rather than what they could do.

19. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Not if every other school has the same ratio of successful NFL QB’s or lower.

The concept of a flop inherently includes subjective criteria. Just because someone thinks one player is good but a player from another school is not as good isn’t an absolute. So, now you are arguing against USC not in its merits but others opinions of their players. Not a sound criteria.

Statistically, Darnold is an independent event, and his success is not dictated by any other QB’s success or failure preceding him anymore than flipping a coin has less than a 50% chance of landing heads just because the hundred previous flips landed heads.

Walt White likes this.
  20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Who are you referring to? Darnold is not a high caracther guy? Since when? He needs to mature some from a risk taking perspective, but he is nothing if not a high carachter guy.