Jets acquire #3 overall pick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Cat, Mar 17, 2018.

1. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

Think it costs that much to get Darnold? If so maybe they get a second rounder back too.

2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

The Colts at 3 were a threat to the Browns to take Barkley but not the Jets. The Jets are clearly going QB. the only threat between the Browns and Barkley at 4 is the Giants, and if the Giants trade out 2 and 3 are QB’s so the Browns can get their QB of choice at 1 and still get him at 4.

The Browns have to decide whether one QB is significantly better than the others that they’d rather have him even if it means missing out on Barkley if the Giants stay put and take him.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

We have no idea who the Jets like and don't like at this point. They're going to whisper different stuff to different people and let the leaks play out naturally. By the day of the draft we still won't know who the guy is because at any moment the Browns or the Giants could turn their pick into a windfall and we could lose the guy we were looking at heavily if that was a known fact.

I'm just going to accept the fact that there's no way of knowing who the Jets are looking at until the pick is announced at the podium. I'm not going to do much if any posting on that topic between now and the draft because I have no way of knowing how the Jets value the QB's and nobody else outside the draft room does either.

I know who I value but I'm not even sure enough of that pecking order to bang the drum loudly for a particular pick. I'm guessing at this point in time the Jets have narrowed that choice down and we'll find out what it is when everybody else does.

4. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I'm happy about the trade but this is a valid point. I take it the cost would only continue to escalate the closer we get to the draft.

NYJetsO12 and Br4d like this.
  5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets saved their 1st round pick next year at the cost of an extra 2nd rounder this year. At the moment, with all the prospect QB's still alive and well that was a pretty canny move in my opinion. I'd much rather we lose the extra 2nd this year than our 1st next year. If the move totally blows up on the Jets this year somehow and they crumble at least we still have our pick on the 6 to look forward too next year.

6. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

1) that's why the system came into play. it was an asset, but without a value as the NFL grew and became more of a business and more cut throat, Gms got smarter

2) no there isn't. every trade pretty much follows the exact system plus or minus a small amount of points. the last time there was a trade this one sided as far as pick values go, was 1999 when mike ditka traded away his entire draft and early picks form the following draft to move up to 5th overall to select ricky williams. that was 20 years ago and no team has made a trade that bad since.

Bellys Lies likes this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

if that was the case we could have offered him a coaching job. mccown wants to play still but this time around he'll have real competition

8. GasedAndConfused

we drafted marcus maye in the 2nd last year. worked out pretty well. we gave up 3 second rounders. right now mac is 1 for 3 in the 2nd round so at works, we gave away another solid starter

9. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

10. GasedAndConfused

no it's not. every Gm uses it still.

5 dollar is still 5 dollars, regardless of what you buy with it you could get ripped off or find a nice sale and get more then your money's worth, but in the end, it's still 5 dollars. that's it's value. articles are already coming out mimicking exactly what i said. of course of we land a FQB who cares. it was worth it, if not, we set our team back 5+ years and lost a lot of talent. We gave up much less to move up to 5 from 17 for sanchez. we gave up a 2nd round pick and 3 backups who were out of the NFL shortly after the trade anyway

11. GasedAndConfused

so 25 probowl QBs have been drafted in the 2nd round or later compared to 19 in the top 5?

12. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Lol that’s one way to twist it to get it to say what you want. Bottom line is that an unbelievably disproportionate number of good quarterbacks are top 5 picks compared to any other range in the draft.

You compared a 5 pick stretch to a 250 pick stretch.

13. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

Nothing is ever "clear", just look at last years draft to make that apparent.

The fact that even amongst ourselves and experts there's not a lot of differentiating the top QBs is really bad. There's no stand out. The closest is the tiers of A) Darnold/Rosen and B) Allen/ Mayfield.

So projecting even further, the Giants are in an interesting place choosing between Barkley who is the best player in the draft, or one of the A tier QBs. If they choose a QB do the Jets (Mac) now pass on the BPA or take a B tier QB?

14. GasedAndConfused

I know, but the fact that you lose much more by missing a 1st round pick , or top 5 pick and that almost half the Qbs taken in the top 5 were busts and the amount we gave up, makes it a very risky move. it's funny because i pointed out that half the starting Qbs in the NFL today weren't even 1st round picks.

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If Darnold and Rosen are gone, who's to say that Mayfield or Allen would be their #3 choice? Either could be Mac's #1 choice anyway. I think Mac wants one of Rosen and Mayfield, but might take Darnold or Allen.

I'd be very surprised if Mac is checking with other teams about trading up to #3 if the 2 QBs he wants are gone. I think he would take a QB there even if it was his 3rd choice. He has no choice. If he doesn't come out of this offseason without a QB for next season, he's a goner. I don't think he would take his chances on Teddy, Hack or Petty being that guy.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. NCJetsfan

Easily gotten Baker at #6? ROFLOL He could fall, but it's much more likely, he will go in the top 5. He's one of the top 3 QBs

17. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

It won't bite us now if someone moves up like the Bills. They will have to pay more than they would be comfortable with and we would still get a top QB anyways. I have heard we like more than one QB.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Lmao. Look at what you typed.

19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Well, I wasn't in favor of a trade but this one has merit. Moving up means the Jets brass is in absolute love with at least 2 if not 3 QBs. It also indicates to me the 4th QB was not an acceptable option at six.
    A- if it's 3 then is an absolute no brainer. And I mean 3 they like not what we like which means nothing
    B- If its two only, then having to move to a back up position like Barkley will be unfortunate but acceptable risk.
    C- we can not continue with this charade, that is criticizing Mac for not taking chances for a QB, then bitching that he paid too much, and finally shitting on him for poor second round choices as well as shitting some more for trading them.
    The only thing about this trade that you can critique him for if he makes the wrong choice with the pick and turns into a bust.
    Putting us in position to get a no shit game changer is all we can ask for. Let's hope he succeeds.

20. NCJetsfan

That is the best case scenario!

NYJetsO12 and westiedog1 like this.