We are now on Plan L

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jay Bizniss, Mar 13, 2018.

1. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I wanted Cousins, but not for 3 years and he has a long way to go before he can be called a hall of fame QB. He stepped into the perfect situation but he has to deliver before he can be considered for the hall.
    If he makes it he should thank Mac for not overpaying him and luring away from Minnesota....
    As for the Jets giving Johnson almost as much as cousins, roughly 1/2 yearly and $50 million less guaranteed is not almost the same amount .....

JetBlue and FJF like this.
  2. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Maybe. Maybe not. Either way, the point still stands ... the best plan for the Jets is to do whatever it takes to draft their top rated QB, and then build a wall in front of him so they can properly evaluate him (and keep him from getting hurt or becoming gun shy).

3. TonyFtLaud

That I agree with, however , it won't be completely accomplished in one off season. The talent just was not there in free agency and If Mac does what ever it takes to draft his top rated QB, there will be no pics available for top O lineman. It's going to take some time to accomplish both.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

To me that's more of a reflection of Hackenberg and Petty than McCown. Those 2 just don't have it.

TonyFtLaud and boozer32 like this.
  5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Maybe he was talking about Revis..that one was closer.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  6. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Maybe but I still don't see anything from McCown that labels him any kind of great mentor. I still think Petty will play in this league in the right situation. Hackenberg is CFL material...maybe.

xxedge72x likes this.
  7. AG3

AG3 Well-Known Member

If the Jets draft a QB in the top 6, they would have $20mil + dedicated to 3QBS next year. Almost the same Cousins got.
    It's a joke that people didn't want Cousins. This isn't 2005. QBs get paid $25+ mil now.

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

What exactly could you have seen that would make you think either way? That's not something that would be readily available for a fan to see.

Did you see Doug Pederson as a great mentor before he became a coach?

9. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

10. abyzmul

11. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Tony MAC has not addressed the O line since he has been here .Me personally ,I don't expect Rome to be built in a day but if Mac had drafted better in previous years the O line among other things would not be the mess that they currently are !

12. stinkyB

that was in reference to a few posts higher ;)

13. abyzmul

Yeah, well, my Kung Fu is better than yours, we should fight in the rain on a bridge.

14. zace

zace Well-Known Member

That's how i plan to die

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

abyzmul likes this.
  15. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

For 1 year. Would you like to have Cousins for 3 years then sign him at a bigger contract at age 32? I rather draft the QB, get rid of McCown and Bridgewater next year and have our starter at the rookie scale

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. stinkyB

You truly underestimate how much of my youth was wasted watching Kung Fu theater on WPIX & WWOR... I even speak in overdubs now.

For your sake, Ill let you pass

17. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

Time for plan T (crabTree)

18. abyzmul

Only if your sister comes with me.

19. TonyFtLaud

He has made some attempts, brick blindsided him with his retirement leaving him scrambling. He traded for Claddy, then signed Beachum. He also signed carpenter , resigned winter's. Resigned and added low tier players for depth and development.
    Look at the roster he inherited. Old vets and near zero Dept. He came in late in the off season in 2015 and had to draft on the information from the former regimes scouting department. Was in a situation where he had to throw money away to reach the cash spending floor and had Woody pulling the strings on FA signings. They went all in for 15 , came close to the playoffs and knowing the window was about to slam shut, tried again in 16. You had Woody declaring Fitz as starter before he was even resigned and Bowles following his lead , forcing Macs hand. We know what happened next. Mangold , Marshall and Decker completely divided the team beginning in preseason , holding out , campaigning for Fitz while the rest of the team was in camp, hoping to take the next step from the prior season. It continued into the season , Decker got hurt, Mangold sucked and got hurt, Marshall quit on the team, continued to be a distraction and the season was lost. 2017 was just a weak draft for O line , and mac had to shead a ton of cap space and dead weight.
    He just signed a center , I would have liked Jensen , but Mac made the right decision. Jensen wants to enjoy free agency and take multiple visits. We needed a center, can't wait around. What if Jensen didn't sigh here ? Richburg was grossly overpaid. HeHis one concussion away from forced retirement. The market dries up quickly and then Mac's hand is forced in the draft. Forget trading up for a QB. It's not even on the table because the early 2 can't be dealt.
    Just because we have a ton of cap space does not mean it should be spent foolishly. It's not my money and doesn't hurt my pocket but when it's time to resign our own, or extend players early to avoid loosing them and the extra millions are not there, you will be complaining that he overspent.
    You can criticize Mac all you want, I do, but at least do it for a legit reason. His piss poor drafting is a good place to start!!!

20. TonyFtLaud

Why are your words out of sync with you mouth movements?
    That's old school Kung Fu. Today's masters fight while flying above the bamboo forest and the looser dies in an open meadow while the lone cherry blossom sheads it's flowes