Jets to sign Trumaine Johnson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by grkmanga31, Mar 13, 2018.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes. You seem to think that every NFL player can play well into his mid-to-late 30s. That just isn't the case. There are only a few who do, and they are the exception rather than the rule.

Br4d likes this.
  2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

if you think sherman is better then johnson as of today, you are insane or buying into "name hype" over actual performance. look at the poster above. johnson was the number 1 press corner in the NFL last year allowing only 43 yards total from press coverage. that's insane and the rams played a lot of press

BudJet and LF911SC like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

I had included EJ Gaines on some of my earlier lists of FA CBs, but I think I discovered that he is a zone CB or he had already signed elsewhere. Ross Cockrell had a very good year for the Giants last year, but he is a zone CB. At this point, I hope that we re-sign Claiborne, sign Carrie, and cut Skrine.

4. GasedAndConfused

it depends on positions. QBs can easily as can kickers. some o-lineman can. RBs obviously not. CBs easily can

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's not just mid to late 30's either. The wrecking ground for NFL careers is 29 to 31. I ran the numbers on several positions including LT, TE, SS and NT a few years ago and I'll have to hunt them up but basically those 4 positions are mostly toast by 29-30. WR and CB last a bit longer on average but you're still talking mostly toast by 31.

6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

If only what he said was “he can’t play into his mid-30s” you’d have a point.

7. NCJetsfan

You've made a lot of good points in this thread, and I agree with most of them. I don't mind paying top dollar to a younger player who can help the Jets and play at a high level over a long period (at least 5 years), but like you, I despise signing older FAs (28 or older), and especially despise paying them top dollar. I would have expected the Johnson signing if we signed Cousins and were going all in to win in 2018, but since we didn't, I was hoping for one of the younger CB options or drafting a CB. Based on how Mac and Bowles have operated, I'm not that surprised however. As far as I'm concerned, it's just yet another reason I want them both gone after this season.

8. NCJetsfan

I agree. Most NFL players are done or are at least on a serious decline by 29-30. They become more injury prone, take longer to heal, etc.

Br4d likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

It's also true for early 30s. Most NFL players are done by the age of 30 or their speed and abilities are in serious decline.

Br4d likes this.
  10. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Johnson just turned 28. We can cut him before he even turns 30 if need be.
    That is prime. Anyone suggesting that is too old is being ridiculous.

BudJet and GasedAndConfused like this.
  11. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

Its arguably the most position on defense... would u have hated the Jalen Ramsey pick cause he was chosen at 5

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I have never watched him play. The Rams just arent a team I care much about. But obviously heard the name, he is supposed to be pretty good.

My only question for those who have watched him: Does he hit people? I'm tired of corners who are afraid to tackle and I think a good tackling corner is an underrated piece for defenses...

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

At this point, I will boo any defensive pick other than OLB. I’m sick and tired of defense in the 1st.

It is absolutely a losing formula. We had arguably the best CB in NFL history, during his prime, and we couldn’t even reach a Super Bowl. Either take a game breaking OLB or stay the hell away from defense in the 1st. It’s been 8 out of 9 years for Christ sake.

14. GasedAndConfused

He's a tough SOB who excels in man press coverage and actually tackles well wrapping up and all

BrowningNagle likes this.
  15. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

And you are pretty much the only one rating him this low. We should agree to disagree. Because he's a 1.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  16. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

72.5 million for a CB who doesn't throw TD's. They could have signed Cousins for a few dollars more. This guy better be better than Revis in his prime.

17. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

It's not even close. Johnson is making 15m per year, Cousins would make near 30. That's double the cost, not just a few million more.

18. GasedAndConfused

dude was franchised twice by the rams, anchored one of the top Ds and was rated the #1 CB in press coverage allowing only 43 total yards and yet someone thinks he's a average CB at best?

BudJet and LF911SC like this.
  19. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Is your namesake for Emerson Boozer, or are you really drunk when you make posts like this?

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  20. ProfJets

ProfJets Well-Known Member

Free Agents are paid based on supply and demand + talent, not just talent. Free Agents are always overpaid (just look at Kirk Cousins!), but the Jets options were: pay a Free Agent more than he's worth, take a chance on a rookie (probably round 2 at the earliest, assuming they take a QB in the 1st), or run out Buster Skrine against top WRs again.

Pepsiguy5 and NCJetsfan like this.