Jets to sign Trumaine Johnson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by grkmanga31, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It was a massive overpay that the Jets should be embarrassed about.

The Jets just paid Trumaine Johnson like he was an All-Pro caliber CB.

CBG likes this.
  2. Br4d

I'd have waited to see where the market settled on Trumaine Johnson and if it settled at this level I'd have passed.

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Do you think it's weird that you're the only person calling it a massive overpay that the Jets should be embarrassed about? And I don't even mean on this website, I mean in general.

4. Br4d

He's an average NFL starting CB. Well below the top ranks and well above the bottom.

5. Br4d

Everybody outside the market knew that Trumaine Johnson was going to get a huge deal from some bad team overpaying to fill a slot.

Guys who are all about their big contract and their money win in free agency and lose on the field.

He's 28 years old. We're not even sure we're going to get two of his prime years out of the deal.

Jets69 likes this.
  6. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

The way things started yesterday, so many of us thought we'd be left without players, holding a bag of unused cap-cash for the next GM to waste next year. I think most of us are OK - and even expected, or demanded an overpay in an area of need.

7. BroadwayAaron

Guy... are we serious here?

BacktoQueens likes this.
  8. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

He's one of the better press corners in the league. Had a slight dip in production this season but still remains among the best.
    You can name over 30 corners better than him? That's what avg would be.

9. Br4d

But this is the Jets MO.

Overpay a player because we have or would have a hole without him. It's what leads to the entitled vets problem. It's what makes the young rising stars so hard to deal with.

We wound up with a headache with Mo Wilkerson because we gave Darrelle Revis huge deals. Players do not negotiate in a vacuum. They look at what is happening around them and their agents look at who they are dealing with and that's what produces hard negotiations over and over again.

The Jets always have people on the cap at ridiculous figures given their production.

10. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I actually don't disagree. I have concerns about him too, but also don't want them to miss out on others in the process as Idzik did years ago. I'll be curious what numbers Rashaan Melvin and Mo Claiborne come in at. Butler at about $2M less per year seems like a better option.

Our brilliant defensive mind Todd Bowles better have this guy playing a high level, which he's capable of. I'm hoping they use this guy right and he excels here, but will be less than surprised if he flops.

11. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

we had to do this.. you guys already had your banners and torches

12. Br4d

Revis?

30 when we re-signed him. Ok that year and done the next.

NFL players as a group don't get to 29-30 at high levels of performance. A few can play for as long as they want too but they are the exceptions not the rule.

13. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Massive. Lol

14. BroadwayAaron

15. Br4d

The dude was getting paid franchise tag money the last two years and in a contract year both years and his play declined.

I mean seriously, what do you expect he's going to do for us? He parlayed a career year in 2015 into back to back tags, neither of which looked anything like the career year and now we just extended his ability to get paid like a superstar for at least 2 more years.

He's suddenly going to bounce back until 2015 because all the pressure of playing on a tag in a contract year was what made him decline?

16. Br4d

4 players out of 44 played a full season. 17 out of 44 started at least 10 games. Above the age of 28 3 players out of 31 played a full season. Above the age of 28 9 players out of 31 played at least 10 games.

The query is flawed for other reasons, like including Julio Jones as a CB, but basically it says exactly what I said: starting caliber CB's are few and far between after the age of 28.

17. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

It’s just the nature of FA, bad teams need to overpay to bring in FA upgrades. I don’t think there is any question Johnson was overpaid, I also don’t think it is any question he is a huge upgrade and fits Bowles D very well.

I don’t think he is the best CB in the league in which he is being paid to be but calling him average is very unfair. He is a good CB, a great fit and leader and the Jets have enough salary cap space to be able to afford overpaying for a huge upgrade.

18. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

That's the predicament. Had they hit on Juston Burris, Rashard Robinson, among others, they wouldn't need to be doing this

Attackett likes this.
  19. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

we still have ~$50 mil in cap space, we may have overpaid here, but its not like its hurting us. Especially since we have to hit the cap floor.

20. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Exactly, it’s not just the Jets. Look at what the Giants gave Solder, 49ers gave McKinnon, just a couple recent examples I could think of.

Facts are Jets had a dire need at CB and had to overpay to get the best one available.