Kirk Cousins Mega Thread. Post all your thoughts under this thread.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your best option at QB if Mac cannot get Kirk Cousins?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2018.
  1. Sign Case Keenum

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

22 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sign Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Sign Drew Brees

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Trade for Alex Smith

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Trade for Nick Foles

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Sam Darnold

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Josh Rosen

27 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Stay at 6 and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

72 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Trade up for Colts 3rd or Browns 4th Overall Pick and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

A lot of money....assuming Brees would even consider coming here.

If you could Brees for the same money or a little more than McCown, sure, but signing Brees would eat up cash you could use for other needed players - like an OL that could keep him from retiring in a wheelchair.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Bree's would cost money ..prob on the same level as Cousins ..also we are NOT the Vikings where we are at a SBs door ...so getting Brees runs some risk of QB deterioration over a 3 year rebuild towards the playoffs for NY

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

I can't wait to see the post game interviews he has when he loses to GB every year, and they miss the playoffs, or at best go 1 and done in the Wildcard round. I'm sure that "winning" will feel great.

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Via Jason La Canfora: If the Jets fail to land Kirk Cousinsand they won't bow down to the Vikings without a fight and will put some very heavy and creative figures in front of the quarterback – then look for Josh McCown or Teddy Bridgewater to be their quarterback in 2018 as they develop a rookie at that position. But their intent to land Cousins could not be any higher.

Money talks. I still give the Jets a good chance.

5. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

The team has 90$+ in cap space (and a ton in 2019 depending on who gets signed), and a rookie QB 1st rounder takes up little on the cap. So it's not like you're tying up a ton of cash to have a complete turd taking snaps, and would most likely cost less than Cousins.

The amount of cap space the Jets have this year is absurd.

6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

No visits means he is going to the highest bidder
    We’re still in the game

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  7. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

That's the point though. You're signing a guy and drafting his replacement. If he plays lights out (ala Brady), then that's a good problem to have. If his play deteriorates, you have someone ready to step in.

8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Or he's already made up his mind. But I hope you're right.

9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

If this does prove accurate what does the NFL do about a done deal being reported two days before it is even legal to negotiate?

10. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Hopefully the Vikings sign Brees, leaving us to ink Cousins.

Then I could root for both teams next year, with the Vikings and Brees being Super Bowl contenders.

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Trades may be made in the 20-30 minutes, but I think they're rare. When they do, I think the team seeking to trade makes a very fair or even generous offer so that the other team doesn't have to think a lot about it, and perhaps they've already decided they don't really like anyone at their pick. I think most often the teams have discussed details of possible trades beforehand, or talked to ascertain interest and what it might take to swing a deal.

12. joe

joe Well-Known Member

It is a big fucking deal. .My opinion is a big fucking deal Ralebird and the sooner you get onboard with that the better off you're gonna be.

Now, back on-topic:

Your emotional 'opinion' was wrapped in loaded wording. . You:. "Darnold REFUSED to throw" (like he was some kicking-and-screaming little brat). . The fact is, Darnold 'elected' not to throw, just like many blue-chippers before him.

The combine meant squat to Darnold/Rosen. . And in my big-fucking-deal opinion, Rosen's interviewing at the combine carried far more weight than his throwing.

"Here's a little piece fromSBNation?" . Yeah, I'm gonna hang my hat on SBNation's Jeanne Thomas: the last word in QB evaluation.

abyzmul likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

The cost could be appalling, but then again, it could be completely reasonable. The Colts would only be dropping down 3 places. They don't need a QB. They'd be looking for an edge rusher or perhaps OL or Barkley. For instance if one of the Brown or the Giants takes Barkley and the other takes a QB, the deal might not cost so much, as the Colts know that both the Broncos and Jets likely will take a QB. Thus if they want or are willing to "settle" for either Chubb or Nelson, they could trade down to #6 and still get one of them.

Where it could get really expensive is if the Jets and Broncos, and maybe the Bills or Cardinals also want to move up, then a bidding war would make the pick appallingly expensive.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Too bad they can't just send cash considerations to move up haha

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

I have a very strong feeling that Cleveland will be in the SB before us. I wish that Dorsey was our GM.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. NCJetsfan

We still feel those because they happened about every year, and Tanny only traded back once to try to recoup picks. One time didn't cripple anything.

A trade up involving a future 1st would prevent their doing anything in the following year to address the QB position unless there was one they liked in the 2nd round. In the 2nd year following, they would be fine. Yes, it would hurt somewhat due to the loss picks, but if the Jets use their available cap space wisely this year and the next in signing young FAs, they'd hardly miss those picks.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

Who said that the Jets would give up both seconds this year? Besides, the Jets haven't been exactly astute or stellar with their 2nd round picks. They could possibly trade their 2nd round picks for the next 5 years and not miss them.

If the Jets sign Andrew Norwell, Ryan Jensen and Allen Robinson in FA, they wouldn't miss any of their picks this year and probably not next year, either.

NYJetsO12 and GQMartin like this.
  18. NCJetsfan

ROFLOL!

19. NCJetsfan

Where do I sign up?

20. NCJetsfan

I agree in the sense considering Brees' age. I just think it would be awesome to get Mayfield and have Brees mentor him. Who better to help him learn how to play QB in the NFL at his height? I wouldn't care if Brees was only able to play half of his first season and we were on the hook for the next 2 1/2 seasons as long as he stayed as a veteran mentor/QB Coach to Mayfield and possible backup once Mayfield was ready to start. The Jets could also front load the contract so that they were paying Brees most of the money of the contract in the first season or two, so that they could cut him following his second season and not take a big cap hit.

NYJetsO12 likes this.