Kirk Cousins Mega Thread. Post all your thoughts under this thread.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your best option at QB if Mac cannot get Kirk Cousins?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2018.
  1. Sign Case Keenum

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

22 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sign Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Sign Drew Brees

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Trade for Alex Smith

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Trade for Nick Foles

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Sam Darnold

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Josh Rosen

27 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Stay at 6 and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

72 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Trade up for Colts 3rd or Browns 4th Overall Pick and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. GWjet

GWjet Well-Known Member

The big reason I’m pro Cousins is so we can by pass the “young QBs growing pains” AND we can use our#6 pick to take care of our second biggest need an edge rusher

FlaJet, nicg4360, NOVAJET and 2 others like this.
  2. twown

twown Well-Known Member

This furious debate over marrying ourselves to Cousins is tearing us apart. Just like Springfield and Shelbyville.

Jets_Grinch and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  3. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Look who created the thread.

4. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

So if the Broncos sign cousins, is that just a knee jerk reaction to save jobs? I liked Colon, and I do prefer drafting a QB, but if you can bring in a guy that's already developed still in his prime, you do it. It's not just about saving one's own ass, it's about adding stability to the the most important position on the team, something the Jets have lacked for a while.

As much as I'd rather draft a QB, drafting a QB is a crap shoot compared to bringing in a proven guy. It helps the team and helping the team is what helps coaches keep jobs. It's silly to say that a move that makes the team better as a whole is a selfish move. Their job is to make the team better. It's silly to not try, when a rare opportunity like this arises.

#2764 Sam Hammer, Mar 8, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    FlaJet and nicg4360 like this.
  5. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

If we would have fired his bitch ass we wouldn't be stuck with him "giving us the best chance to win" speech over and over to save his sorry ass job.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

Talib getting traded to the Rams. Does this mean the Broncos are freeing up cap for Cousins?

7. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

How do hell you know me so well. Scary.

FJF likes this.
  8. Sam Hammer

I thought the same exact thing. Broncos were at 23m, that saves them about 11, so they now have 34m, if I'm factoring that correctly. Barely enough for Cousins, but they could do more.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Could be, but this was an expected move for awhile now. Cousins or not.

NYJalltheway likes this.
  10. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I know nobody cares (maybe @FJF ) but I am officially off of Cousins bandwagon. I finally did my due diligince and read and watched about upcoming QB’s in the draft. Even though they all have a flaw against them they have a chance to be a franchise QB. I am willing to take that risk.

First, give me Mayfield. Then Darnold. Then Rosen. If all 3 are gone, give me Lamar Jackson. No to Allen.

11. nicg4360

True enough it was being thrown around but it did happen just days before free agency begins.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Do you guys TRUST Bowles and Mac???? Colons comments aside Main's opinion and mine are as good as 30 other opinion makers on here (and the majority is NOT always correct) Glad to see a couple of posters today actually having second thoughts on Capt Kirk

Where is the EVIDENCE that Mac is a great decision/ contract maker?? mo Wilk Mevi$ and Fitz ??.and of course Sackenberg... Show me how Toilet Bowles knows what he is doing ??? 5-11 for two seasons "but the chemistry is great"....feh feh feh

To say they both have their OWN agenda for a couple of quick 9-7 seasons to keep Woodys checks coming is NOT beyond reason esp hearing how Cousins "has been their guy" for a year now...

You guys need to open your eyes...pursuing Cousins is not a real long term plan (Playoffs??? Maybe..prob not) but a short term solution for the FO

13. nicg4360

I'd say I'm 50/50. Pro cousins because the Jets blow at development of QBs. That almost certain failure is not an issue signing a vet in the middle of his prime. Anti cousins because although maybe an upgrade I don't see it being that much different than someone that can be had for less.

14. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Nobody has argued that Mac and Bowles are competent, or that the decision to sign Cousins isnt about saving their jobs (although every move they make is clearly an attempt to save their job, so that’s a ridiculous argument to make to begin with). The criticism of his post was that because Colon said it that it proves they aren’t concerned with the best interest of the franchise, just concerned with their own personal gain. That’s is just a nonsensical claim.

I’ll repeat what I stated previously — because they wasted three years with stop gap QB’s to no success, they don’t have the luxury of an additional 2-4 years of incremental growth with a rookie QB. At some point one or both of them has to show immediate results, and Cousins is the sensible solution for them. They have a chance to draft a top QB but can’t do it because of how they butchered their first three seasons.

FJF likes this.
  15. joe

joe Well-Known Member

"Refusing" to compete? No, he "elected" not to throw. . Again with the loaded wording; the semantics..

"Appearance is everything?" Reminds me of "long-haired rebel" Andre Agassi and the "Image (appearance) is Everything" tagline to his Cannon Rebel camera commercials. Turns out he was sporting a wig.
    Moral of the story: no need to read into everything you [think] you see.

No..
    No..
    Already showed his stuff. Followed him and the other Pac-12 QBs Rosen/Fauk (via a Pac-12 package) and am not dependent on some post-season "playing catch" exhibition in an already artificially-controlled environment.

geezus........what are you, a fuckin' cop? . . :D;)

"Allen is the guy who showed the big arm in Indy." You just made my point--everybody already knew he has rocket-arm talent. Here's something most everybody doesn't know: Josh Allen's never even made it past 2nd team All-Mountain West Conference (and that was only back in 2016). Lamar Jackson 'elected' not to participate in the running....what should we infer from that? Again, nothing.

Lastly, this is a Kirk Cousins' thread and it's time to stop beating this dead horse (and sorry to the others for the temporary hi-jack).

16. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

I am so damn ready for March 12 or 14th. Whatever day FA opens up.

17. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I remember an interview with Mike Smith, former HC of the Falcons, a few years ago and I think what he said is a very good explanation of the interaction between ownership and management (HC and GM) and how it affects their job status. He said job security is all about managing expectations. You have to be realistic in telling the owner what they can expect in the season based on past and projected performance. If the owner signs on to those expectations and you meet or exceed them then you should be safe, unless some unforeseen disaster strikes. So all this talk of whether Bowles or Maccagnan's jobs are in jeopardy depends entirely on what Woody's expectations are and nothing else. Given Maccagan's gutting of the roster without bringing in any significant new talent last year (the tank), which must have had the approval of ownership, the expectations had to be very low as far as W-L go. The fact that Bowles had the team at 5-11 has to be a feather in his cap based on all the dire predictions of 0-16. As long as Woody (or Christopher) have signed on to Maccagnan's strategy to rebuild the Jets, I seriously doubt whether either Bowles or Maccagnan are in jeopardy of losing their jobs anytime soon.

CotcheryFan and FJF like this.
  18. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

This is why I'm willing to give Mac the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the quick fix scheme that made us almost go to the playoffs with Fitz under center in 2015. For all we know, Woody wanted a playoff appearance that year. I still want more in terms of impact players from the draft. His first 2 drafts haven't yielded much, but last year's was far better even though I didn't agree with taking 2 safeties back to back with other glaring needs especially on offense. He has a good opportunity this year. And obviously a long term answer at QB instead of relying on journeymen vets to have career years.

NCJetsfan and westiedog1 like this.
  19. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Good..when the bottom falls out and Cousins says NO..they will have to scramble to get Bridgewater or McGown back.
    Drafting a QB will be full swing in play...esp one that can start day one : Rosen Mayfield maybe Darnold

#2779 NYJetsO12, Mar 9, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  20. Sam Hammer

I highly doubt that Macc will purposely avoid drafting a QB, just to save his job. That would be silly. If they drafted a guy, that only buys them more time with lower expectations. If they sign Cousins, the expectations suddenly go through the roof and the pressure increases drastically. People are looking at this way too simply and are appealing to emotion.

But hey, Jets fans will be upset no matter what they do. If they bring in the best FA QB to hit the market in a while, they are just being desperate to save jobs. If they don't sign him, it's because they are idiots and can't recruit well enough. If they trade up in the draft for a QB they are idiots and mortgaging the future. If they sign Bridgewater or Keenum, they are idiots for over rating them. There is literally no scenario this off season where Jets fans won't be pissed off when it's all said and done.

TonyFtLaud, Brook!, NCJetsfan and 4 others like this.