Kirk Cousins Mega Thread. Post all your thoughts under this thread.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your best option at QB if Mac cannot get Kirk Cousins?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2018.
  1. Sign Case Keenum

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

22 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sign Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Sign Drew Brees

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Trade for Alex Smith

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Trade for Nick Foles

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Sam Darnold

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Josh Rosen

27 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Stay at 6 and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

72 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Trade up for Colts 3rd or Browns 4th Overall Pick and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Meh, not a fan of this move. I don't see the "point" in going QB at 6 if Kirk signed. Want to draft one R3? Go for it.

westiedog1 and FJF like this.
  2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

By Monday the 12th Mac has got to know where the Jets stand with Capt Kirk

Sheesh ..I'll be glad when this BS is over

3. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

It HAS to be? ?

4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i'm sure he knows already. cousins and mccown share an agent so you know mac has been talking with the agent. I'd be surprised if he wasn't already wheeling and dealing

5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

There are so many dominoes that I think it actually will move faster than people think. Like some reports said Cousins will start taking visits and may not sign by the 14th. I don't think so. The Vikings can't risk Keenum, Bridgewater, etc signing elsewhere while they chase Cousins. So they will need to know pretty quick if they are in on Cousins or if they should sign Keenum. The Broncos, Jets and Cardinals also will be in on the other free agent QB's. So I think Cousins signs quick, otherwise he could actually lose money.

NYJetsO12 and nicg4360 like this.
  6. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Ahhh....now I get it....why didn't you say so in the first place? .That's a horse of a different color. .

See man tick

Semantic

Anyway, neither Darnold nor Rosen needed to throw. . While no prospect's a sure thing, the fact that Darnold is the #1 pick in the majority of mock drafts while Rosen isn't (despite being the better pure passer of the two) should give "big picture" indication of what the scouts and GMs already think and know about these two (i.e. wearing shoulder pads and "processing" under pressure vs. "winging it" in shorts sans a pass rush and DB coverage). <-- that is one hellava run-on sentence if I do say so myself, but the point remains:

Darnold lost no cred by not playing "indoor catch" in the living room. . And neither would Rosen if he chose not to as well. . Rosen knows of the "smug prick" rumors about him and that could've possibly been the only reason he wanted to appear to be "one of the boys" by throwing but as far as drills go, he didn't need to prove squat - they already know he's got the best arm talent of the bunch.

FJF likes this.
  7. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Don’t mess this up, Minny; he’s your ticket to the Super Bowl.

In 2018, make mine Mayfield.

NYJetsO12 and xxedge72x like this.
  8. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

You can’t rush these things. You’ve still got to look forward to the “Kirk is visiting the Jets”, “Kirk spotted at Dave and Busters” and “Kirk has left the Jets without a deal” stories throughout next week.

9. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

I don't think that will be like this. I think he'll have a team within three days.

NYJetsO12 and FlaJet like this.
  10. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

It may be semantics to you but there's a reason the phrase "appearance is everything" has become common in our language, even though appearance is not always the same as reality. By refusing to compete on the same level playing field as the other top candidates he appears to lack confidence and competitiveness. That is my opinion; it is also the opinion of many people inside the game and professional observers of the NFL.

It's okay if you don't agree but if you were an NFL coach or scout looking for the guy to take your team to the promised land wouldn't you have just the slightest concern about the one guy out of five who did not appear to have the confidence or competitiveness the others showed in throwing to receivers they weren't familiar with? Would you not be a little skeptical of the guy who requires so much control in his exhibition? How much control will that guy need on an NFL playing field to show his best?

How many "franchise quarterbacks" are coming out of this class? Two? Three? And are they coming from the top five today or is one coming from the third round? Or the sixth? Allen is the guy who showed up with the big arm in Indy - is he one? Who knows, but he helped his position. If four guys help their position by throwing what does that do, comparatively speaking, to the one guy who declined to compete?

#2730 Ralebird, Mar 8, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    nicg4360 likes this.
  11. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Quick question, we're in the legal tampering period right now, right?

12. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

No tampering until March 12th. Unsolicited contract offers sent to Cousins thus far have been from an unknown person going by the name of Mac McMikegan who has no connection to the New York Jets.

13. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Thanks for the quick reply. Hoping for a quick end to this circus.

NYJetsO12 and FlaJet like this.
  14. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

Don't forget the cupcakes.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Going to Dave & Busters hasnt worked out too well for this team...

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

I used to be on the "sign cousins bus" but now I have mixed feelings.
    Last year our own Josh McCown had respectable stats behind a shabby offensive line and average receivers/running backs. I would say the redskins were equal or better in all aspects.
    If McCown finishes the season it's realistic the jets finish .500 or close to it especially if you remove the couple of bad calls.
    Cousins redskins finished 7-9 ...not even .500. I'm not sure how many close games they were in or botched calls they had but in the end they only had 2 more wins with cousins playing the whole season.
    That's a scary thought imo.
    Our 39 year old likely would have took his medicore team to the same W/L record as a slightly better team with a 30 yr old cousins.
    Flipside put cousins on our jets and McCown on the redskins last year, who has the better record? To me I'd say it's even or maybe slightly in McCowns favor as he is on a superior team being the redskins.
    I'm not against signing cousins but when I looked at it like that it kinda made me feel more in favor of a rookie and McCown for under 10M.

17. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I’m still on the Cousins bus but this post is why I can’t figure out the logic behind some people wanting Case Keenum. His best year was with a stud OL, great receivers and a solid RBBC. Yet the numbers weren’t that far off from McCown’s who was playing with far less talent around him.

Signing Keenum makes no sense.

FlaJet and Jets_Grinch like this.
  18. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Nothing says J-E-T-S JETS! JETS! JETS! like having the opportunity to draft a potential franchise QB but passing on doing so to spend $30 million a year on a potentially really good QB.

This is all a result of Mac and Bowles completely shitting the QB development bed for three seasons. They are now in the position of having to win now at the expense of taking the time to develop a QB starting in year 4. They don’t have the luxury of drafting a QB if a FA QB is available.

zace and Jets_Grinch like this.
  19. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

Totally disagree, Keenum was a spread QB who has worked his game to the point he had some of the most solid
    stats in 2017 of any NFL QB, you are correct that he had a good OL, WRs, and RB....we need to fortify the Jets w the 100+ million
    + draft picks.....I say move on from Cousins and go directly after Keenum...then draft best available QB at 6....

20. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

If they exercise Blake Bortles' 5th year, he will make about 19M.