Kirk Cousins Mega Thread. Post all your thoughts under this thread.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your best option at QB if Mac cannot get Kirk Cousins?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2018.
  1. Sign Case Keenum

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

22 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sign Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Sign Drew Brees

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Trade for Alex Smith

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Trade for Nick Foles

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Sam Darnold

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Josh Rosen

27 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Stay at 6 and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

72 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Trade up for Colts 3rd or Browns 4th Overall Pick and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

We 2 things on our side in signing Cousins.
    1. MONEY MONEY MONEY
    2. The Players Union
    3. Did I mention MONEY

2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Capt Kirk coming here it's a soft landing for the Enterprise...nothing for him to prove just loading up a Bank account and nodding his head when Mac tells him "the best players will be here soon"

The 15th ranked QB in the NFL commanding a 30 mill per year payday ....ridiculous

Should have grabbed Garappolo when you could Idzik!!!!!!!!!!

Revis, Mo Wilk , Fitz.....Another OVERPAYDAY engineered by Macdoodling

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Which is why he (and Bowles) should've been fired at the end of the season. Instead we have to live with mediocrity (at best) for at least one more season. It's depressing.

4. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

No one loses anything by only throwing at their pro day. Sorry if you believe that because it makes you wrong.

You said Darnold was afraid to throw at the combine. Now it's a different definition of afraid. You spin from one point to another, never addressing your original point. This isn't the first time you've done, probably won't be the last. I'm not playing the game of chasing one point only to flip to another. Stay on point.

joe likes this.
  5. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

There’s nothing that I want more for us Jets fans than a Super Bowl. However, given Cousins’ contract requirement — 30M/yr for 3 yrs max — I just don’t think that either the Jets would be ready to make a run in that timeframe or that Cousins would sign with the Jets for that very reason.

The Jets have picks and money this year, but the needs are numerous. Mac needs those assets to rebuild an OL, or, at the very least, a C, a G, and (depending upon how he feels about Shell) a RT. He’s also got to get at least one corner, some sort of rusher from somewhere, and/or a Malcom Jenkins (SS/CB/Spur LB) type.

Signing Cousins certainly is possible, but does Mac have the skill to fill all those holes with somewhat diminished resources? Even if he fills those holes for three years, will it be enough to beat out the rest of the league? If I’m Cousins and I’m in it for the money only, then I’m going to the team most likely to get me a ring now for two reasons. First, once I win a ring, I can demand whatever salary I want when I hit FA. Second, I’ve got to go to the best team right now because there’s no telling whether the chance to pick my team will ever come around again. Factoring those two aspects, I don’t see how Cousins could pick the Jets.

Then again, maybe he comes here because he wants to be enshrined in legend. If he delivered a VLT to our long-suffering franchise, I’d be totally okay with that!

NCJetsfan, NYJFOREVER and Attackett like this.
  6. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I'm not believing any of these rumors or reports coming out. How can the guy know where he's going??? Tis the season for bs because there's no official news. He hasn't made one team visit and isn't allowed to talk to anybody as per the rules of the NFL. All these guys are doing is tweeting out every single possibility so when Kirk signs a contract they can say they were right.

The Jets are gonna give Kirk an extremely competitive deal and if he doesn't sign with us, so be it, we move onto the draft.

7. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

If I'm the Jets I'd be pitching to him 2 or 3 years down the road. The team is loaded with cap space, he can get his money while the team isn't ready for a SB run. The defense is one or two pieces away from be a very good defense especially with Adams and Maye locking down the safety position, while the offense is competent enough if we patch up the OL.

If Kirk wins a SB with this team he will go down a legend in the minds of Jets fans everywhere, and would probably be a HoFer. Also just imagine the endorsement deals he'd get as the QB who finally ended the SB drought of the NYJ.

Jets_Grinch, FlaJet and Jetsruby like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Merge the threads and ignore the complaints! :):cool:

Brook! likes this.
  9. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Delete. Just testing ways to upload photos.

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

What makes it worse is that Caldwell could have been OUR GM, but because that dumbass Woody refused to fire Rex or allow the new GM to make that decision, he went to Jacksonville, we got Idzik then Mac. :(

dogg and FlaJet like this.
  11. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

I'm just sad that even if we draft the next Marino, Todd fu$$$ing Bowles and the rest of the staff wouldn't be able to groom him and develop him.

It's a sad sinking feeling that we just don't have a modern NFL coaching staff in place

I'd love to be wrong

dogg, FlaJet, NCJetsfan and 1 other person like this.
  12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I can't get that Bryce Petty vs Case Keenum 9-6 loss out of my head from 2016. I have to believe Schumur got all he could out of Keenum and the true Keenum showed up in the 2nd half vs the Saints and entire game vs the Eagles. He is a younger Ryan Fitzpatrick/Josh McCown. Huge pass.

dogg, FlaJet, FJF and 1 other person like this.
  13. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Hopefully Jeremy Bates is as good as some have claimed. That is our hope for whatever QB the Jets end up with.

FlaJet likes this.
  14. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

The only QB I would not like is Allen. His completion rate is awful. So what if he can throw through a typhoon but can't hit the guy 3 feet from him. I also would not want McCown on this team. I hope he retires. The Jets need talent not band aids and McCown is a band aid. He did enough to get us out of the top 3 draft spots and not enough to be relevant. No more of that. I would rather watch Hackenberg (gulp!!!) play and crash and burn right in front of us than another season of McCown. At least we can say Hackenberg should go away or he'll show something to keep him around. We would have answers. Him not playing at all last year was ridiculous.

LAJet likes this.
  15. boozer32

I don't think anyone called him good. He has yet to develop a single QB yet they think he can develop an entire offense. I don't see that happening.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  16. boozer32

Yeah but the Jags got Marrone. Sorry we got Bowles the anti any other coach. He's step by step destroyed the talent level of the team. I'm pretty sure player talk to other players about him, his style, lack of discipline, his horrible DC and his handling of other coaches/players. Also Tom Coughlin is running things in Jacksonville. We have no one here that can claim that.

dogg and LAJet like this.
  17. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

This is one of the more level-headed posts I've seen in a while. These guys just fuel speculation until they can report that something "may" happen. How many times have we seen athletes, like Demario, come out and say a report is total bs.

18. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

To start, I never said Darnold was afraid to throw at the combine, I said it appeared he feared his shadow by choosing not to throw. That's my opinion and I have no reason to change it. People important to his future want to see a guy who is a competitor; declining to compete on a level playing field at the combine hardly shows that.

Since when are you the arbiter of right and wrong? You've got quite a lot of arrogance working, Sonny; maybe you'll tell us why your opinion should be weighted heavier than that of people who have been around the sport probably since before you were born. There are two things that no NFL GM, coach or scout has said about Darnold's decision. One is that his choice was a bad move and none will until he is signed by another team and two, is that it was a good move. I'm not worried about signing him so I say it's a bad move. You seem to be the only person here, at the NFL, or in the professional sports media who is applauding his decision. Perhaps you would stoop so low as to explain yourself to all the ignorant slobs interested in this year's draft.

Meanwhile here are a few things said by people on the inside supporting my position:

"The reverse-course decision was criticized by NFL Network's Mike Mayock for not seizing a competitive opportunity, but some reporters suggested they heard whispers that a tired arm stemming from an overly extensive workout last week was behind Darnold's absence."

And this:

“Why wouldn’t he take part?” That’s what executives, coaches and scouts are talking about this week. That’s what teams like the Browns will talk about when they dispatch coaches and executives to his pro day after heading back to their facilities with an “incomplete” in their Darnold combine report.

“We wish he would throw,” Browns coach Hue Jackson said of Darnold. “ would like to see him throw. At the same time, there will be other times to watch him work out and do those other things. But again, do I wish he was throwing this week? Yes, I do. To watch him compete with the other guys. At the same time, it’s not going to hinder us making a decision on what kind of player he is for our football team.”

And then there are a bunch of articles exploring this in detail; here are two:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/new...acks-2018-nfl-draft/u7x48ufn0frh1sk9c85ukr139

http://cbssports.radio.com/2018/03/01/nfl-analyst-scouts-want-to-see-sam-darnold-throw-at-combine/

nicg4360 likes this.
  19. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

20. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Anyone have gripes with Kirk for the fact that he wants a 3-year deal? If I'm the Jets (or any team for that matter) I want to lock him in for at least 5. Player option in the year 4 I suppose.

boozer32 likes this.