Kirk Cousins Mega Thread. Post all your thoughts under this thread.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your best option at QB if Mac cannot get Kirk Cousins?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2018.
  1. Sign Case Keenum

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

22 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sign Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Sign Drew Brees

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Trade for Alex Smith

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Trade for Nick Foles

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Sam Darnold

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Josh Rosen

27 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Stay at 6 and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

72 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Trade up for Colts 3rd or Browns 4th Overall Pick and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

big difference in using a top draft pick compared to signing a 1-2 year prove it deal though. if we sign teddy and he breaks in half there isn't much loss there for su outside of a couple of million we can easily spare. If we draft rosen and he breaks it sets us back years

2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

If the Jets come out of the draft/free agency without a legitimate QB they'll face a class action suit from seat license holders, at least if that gets them through another 5-11 or worse season. The contract represents that a reasonable product is produced and delivered; another year of incompetence could demonstrate a breach of that contract.

FlaJet, NCJetsfan and CotcheryFan like this.
  3. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

With the rookie, still have to shoot your shot.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, classic Jets fan attitude is knowing that the Jets have gone many years without our own homegrown FQB, that they are finally drafting in the top 10 in a year when there are several good QB prospects, and instead want to sign an almost 30 year-old QB who isn't even that good, pay him a TON of money, and forego drafting a potential FQB.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

I totally disagree. Keenum has had exactly one good season in his career, and that was this past season. He's 30, and he won't be playing for Fritz Shurmur. He will not be the answer for the Jets. If that's Mac's answer at QB, I'll want him fired BEFORE the draft.

NYJetsO12 and FlaJet like this.
  6. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I'm bored so I will try.

I agree about Arizona I won't try to make that argument, but with Denver it's really close. They had the same record and Jets had the harder schedule.

Denver vs playoff teams: 0-5 (Mostly 10+ margin of scoring or blowouts)
    Denver had an 8 game losing streak
    Denver lost to the Giants

Jets vs Playoff teams:3-6 (4 of those losses were close games where Jets were competitive)
    The Jets made McCown look good and got him a career year, despite the worst center play in the NFL and top receiving target injured prior to the season.

Based on the stats, Denver does outrank the Jets in most categories, plus they beat the Jets 23-0, but that's a bit skewed considering we had Petty playing the last 3-4 games. The Jets are younger and have more upside, plus could structure a contract that would allow them to continue to build around Cousins, rather than force the team around him to regress, as would likely happen on the Broncos.

I can see the case for the Jets here, but still think it's ultimately up to the Vikings and if Cousins will take less money to sign there. I don't think Arizona is a realistic threat to sign him for financial reasons.

#2586 Sam Hammer, Mar 5, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    FlaJet likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

I think you meant "if" the Jets are stupid enough. LOL

If you think Mayfield is a bad QB, you may want to have your vision or your IQ checked. :p

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

I disagree with #2 for several reasons. One, the Vikings will have a new OC. While he did very well with Carson Wentz, he will be a rookie OC, and we have no idea how good his offense or play calling will be. Two, the Vikings could lose one or more key starters to injuries. Three, Cousins could put up his usual 4,000 yards, but because it's questionable how much of a leader he is or whether he's able to elevate the play of the other players around him, the team could make the playoffs, but still not make the SB.

Greensleeves likes this.
  9. RichardCaster

RichardCaster Active Member

1. Jets no chance for Cousins
    2. Cousins to Vikings a done deal

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

Hurrah!

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Thanks Captain Obvious.

Jets69 likes this.
  12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

In my eyes for two reasons.
    First - I venture to say they do not have THE one QB they really won't above all else , and they would be happy with any of the top three.
    Two - They desperately want to brake the mold of poor drafting with the first pick and want a guaranteed difference maker. That is Barkley.
    Too many unknowns at the QB spot to make it a sure thing with number one pick. But they litteralily can't go wrong with the reverse.
    It's the lowest risk move for the new leadership team and still potentially get two offensive studs.
    But what do I know

ColoradoContrails and JetBlue like this.
  13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Before some of you decide to pull the trigger on Cousins, at an exorbitant cost, can you please establish a ranking across thet QBs and see where he fits. Is he that good? He is a light year behind Brady, Aaron, and not in the same class as Wentz, Geoff, Breese, Wilson or Prescott or even Ryan to name a few. So where exactly does he fit? somewhere between Flacco and Foles ?
    How much better are we going to be with him versus finding our gem? And at what cost?
    Is the decision made to save someone's job or to really make a much needed radical change?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

Thank the Lord we won't be making the decision to sign or not sign Cousins. It hangs on the GM and HC. If we sign him and he makes us a lot better and a playoff team good. If he doesn't the rope will swing. Putting myself in their shoes I say they will go all out to sign him. If he goes to another team at least they tried. The board will go berserk either way. Isn't it fun and at the same time nerve racking being a Jet fan? Hey I will love my Jets either way. LGJ

15. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

True, but the point would be PASSING on Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Allen, etc. That is the problem.

16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I posted this February 1st:
    QB's I'd take ahead of Cousins in 2018:
    -Aaron Rodgers
    -Ben Roethlisberger
    -Tom Brady
    -Jimmy Garrapolo
    -Andrew Luck
    -Deshaun Watson
    -Carson Wentz
    -Drew Brees
    -Cam Newton
    -Russell Wilson
    Carr, Stafford, Rivers and Ryan I'd call even with Cousins.

So to me, Cousins is a Borderline Top 10, definitely Top 15 QB. The Redskins felt that was not worth top dollar. Someone else will. Could be the Jets.

Still looks right to me. Luck, Watson and Wentz are coming off of injuries though. Brees, Roethlisberger and Brady are old. So long term you'd take Cousins over them. I don't quite trust Goff, Prescott or Bortles. Bottom line is Cousins is a franchise QB and worth the interest. Football is a team sport, so signing him definitely won't change everything. Good start though.

TonyFtLaud and JetBlue like this.
  17. SackExchange69

SackExchange69 Well-Known Member

Didn't this guy play on the Sopranos? What's he know? Oh, I hope he's right though.

18. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I sure would like to see you make that case. But my point was that no one on the Jets could start for those teams as bad as they may be. So that alone makes the Jets less attractive. Everyone knows that 2 year contract extention for Bowles and Macc was window dressing. They know its a one year contract. There are already rumblings that Cousins is out of the picture for the Jets and the Jets are looking at Bridgewater. The Jets will be in desperate mode by the time free agency and will either overpay of swing and miss on some of their targets.

#2598 boozer32, Mar 6, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  19. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I agree we've all seen those combine workout warrior fizz in the pro's. Mike Mamula, Vernon Gholston and Tony Mandarich just to name a few. Shot up on combine numbers and crashed and burn in the NFL.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Shit, you'll argue anything. Here's the point, many have done it and it didn't hurt them in any way. You. Allied Darnold afraid. I asked if all those I named were also afraid, now you've changed the subject and want to explain how throwing at the combine works, ignoring that he'll throw at his pro day. No one except Elway gives a shit. And you. Mayfield has to work harder than Darnold, he's not the top guy, you can't figure this out on your own? Think it means extra credit to Mayfield?