Kirk Cousins Mega Thread. Post all your thoughts under this thread.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your best option at QB if Mac cannot get Kirk Cousins?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2018.
  1. Sign Case Keenum

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

22 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sign Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Sign Drew Brees

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Trade for Alex Smith

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Trade for Nick Foles

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Sam Darnold

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Josh Rosen

27 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Stay at 6 and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

72 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Trade up for Colts 3rd or Browns 4th Overall Pick and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

That would certainly put it in a whole new light.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

that's kind of my point. the bets teams in the NFL are the one's that use the cap to the best of it's ability. you'll never see a team win a SB with 50+ million in cap room. as i said before we are looking at 90mil this year and 120mil next year if we don't sign cousins, so if we aren't going to spend the money on him then who do we spend it on? it makes no sense to let it sit, you don't improve my not spending money. the best teams are built using all the tools at their disposal (free agents, draft, resigning key players, trades) we can't ignore free agency. as far as big name players we could get to improve there are only a few. there are some good WRs like landry, robinson (but he was tagged) watkins but outside of landry none are breaking the bank. CBs? really just trumaine will break the bank. o-line? solder is the best one and if we got him we'd release beachum likely. There isn't a ton of big money players in free agency this season so makes no sense to not target the best one when it fills a huge need and we have so much to spend. now if we were sitting on like 30mil and lower on the cap, then maybe i'd feel diferent about blowing the whole offseason on cousins. but with the room we have we can land cousins, still address CB, o-line, WR. resign out key players (like davis) and sitll have all our draft picks and an extra 2nd rounder to improve and plenty of cap room next year to do it again. with some good drafts and luring good FAs here, realistically we could compete for a SB in 2019 with cousins.

BudJet and nicg4360 like this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

Well as a number of posters here did, if you list the current QBs, they showed 10 or more who are considered better than Cousins, not necessarily based on raw stats, but on the total resume. I'm simply going by that measure. If you want to make the claim "all the experts, analysts, and stats say otherwise", then prove it. Provide a list of all the experts and analysts and where their QB rankings say Cousins falls in. Short of that, it's just you making a claim based upon your own opinion.

As getting back to your statement about me not being willing to acknowledge anyone else's POV, you should look in the mirror.

4. ColoradoContrails

I understand your point here, and don't disagree as far as it goes, but there's another aspect you seem to be overlooking. If they sign Cousins and commit this huge amount of money to him, if he doesn't prove to be worth it, then what? They probably can't trade him because his contract's too big, and they're not going to cut him and get nothing in return for the cap hit that remains even if he doesn't. So most likely, unless he's really horrible - which is almost impossible to imagine - they'll keep him and play him and hope that somehow he can find the magic. Meanwhile what if the next "Luck" or "P. Manning" hits the draft? They will have no ability to take him because they have so much invested in Cousins and they need to play him. That's the basis of my concern in signing him: it's not the money I care about, it's the money that Jets care about if he doesn't deliver.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

This is the Kirk Cousins thread.

6. GasedAndConfused

i seen the lists many struggled to find 10 and had to put some pretty weak examples. it was more of reaching then anything. it's hard to find any recent top 10 QB lists. all the ones i found (which were few) were prior to the 2017 season and had some QBs like winston, marriota, and carr ranked way too high. all 3 Qbs stocks have dropped way down based on their 2017 season.

on top of that FQB is very subjective. I don't think flacco is a FQB by any means but he did win a SB and was the high paid player in the NFL when he signed his deal, still he isn't nearly as good as cousins but yet balt considers him a FQB.

if you go by pure stats which is the best measure we have as it's the least subjective, cousins is in every way a top 10QB and borderline top 5. now account for the fact he isn't an injury risk and hasn't missed a game in his career. i do acknowledge people's POV as i said you can say whatever you want for your opinions. if you personally feel cousins is overrated that's fine. you are allowed to think that

7. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

There is no penalty to signing him though. If he sucks and is horrible the contract is going to be structured where its frontloaded as all hell and it will give us an out or option later in the contract when hes ~33 years old. Realistically I only see him signing if he gets 50+ in year one and 30+ in year 2. If not, he is definitely going somewhere else.

8. GasedAndConfused

the thing is, the past 3 years has already proven he's worth it. on top of that when you have guys like jimmy g being the highest paid QB in the NFL after 5 starts, it's hard to knock paying a guy who has put up cousins numbers for 3 straight seasons.

as far as cap goes, like anything, it's not a lifetime issue. lets say day 1 cousins blows out his knee and never plays a snap, yeah it sucks and yeah it'll hurt us for 2018 and 2019, but by then it's a long forgotten memory. i mean wilkersons contract sucked in hindsight but it didn't ruin the team long term and he's gone this year.

as i pointed out before wilkerson, forte, and skrine = cousins cap number. do you think those 3 players would make our team better then cousins at the same cost? I seen the OTC structure and if mac was to follow that we could trade/release him after 3 years with virtually no cap impact (8mil dead for 3 years or 4 mil dead for 4 years) he would also count for very reasonable numbers in 2019 and and 2020 (24mil or less) and by that time rodgers will be making well over 30mil a season as will guys like cam and maybe even wentz and goff.

9. ColoradoContrails

Well that structure would be desirable, but we have no way of knowing that's how it will be. What if the rumor that the Jets are offering 5 years, all guaranteed? The fact is that he could represent a major roadblock to moving on if he doesn't work out.

10. ColoradoContrails

Ideally the contract is structured so that there's an out after 3 years, but that's still a year or two where he could be a roadblock, and that's best case. What if the rumor that the Jets are willing to guarantee all five years? The point is that this is just not a slam dunk, nothing can go wrong deal. It could definitely go wrong as history as shown. Can you at least be open-minded enough to acknowledge that? It doesn't mean that when you weigh all the risks of all the options that signing Cousins still isn't the best way to go, but you're the one who refuses to acknowledge any other POV than your own. If you can't do that, then I'm not going to continue wasting my time.

11. GasedAndConfused

i don't think anyone here realistically believes or would be on board with that happening. it's a click bait article. if you believe that then i got some pills to sell you that will make you have a 12 inch dong.

All Gas No Shake and dawinner127 like this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

if teams refused to sign a player to a deal unless nothing could go wrong for the team, the NFL wouldn't exist. signing cousins though is about as safe as you can get in the NFL these days. and a much safer bet then any draft pick. teams aren't dumb. remember when rookie QBs were getting huge contracts so not only did busts set you back years it also fucked up your cap? that's why the NFL lobbied for a rookie cap and got one. I don't think you give people enough credit

All Gas No Shake, TonyFtLaud and FJF like this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

Why would I want pills that shorten my dick?:p

And yes, I realize that there's no proof to the rumor...that's why I called it one. But still, it could be true. If Macc sees Cousins as "must have", he might do something like that. Would it be stupid? You bet! But he's done stupid before.

14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

15. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Do those penis reducing pills really work???:)

16. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

17. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

TonyFtLaud and GasedAndConfused like this.
  18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

some douche on douche crime?

19. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

It all comes down to this
    Is Cousins going to progress or regress
    Or
    Is the drafted Qb going to be the next Brady or Leaf
    We can argue the point till we're blue in the face, and fact is there is no real answer till it happens.
    In one scenario the Cousin signing looks good
    In the other scenario drafting a Qb looks good.
    There is no definitive answer, so pick your poison

I just prefer taking my chance on Cousin and a chance at barkley, chubb, Nelson
    Then taking a rookie Qb and saving 30mil cap hit
    Not to mention all 4 Qb's could be gone if buffalo trades up using there 2 #1 picks.....then where back to McCown at Qb
    This is what scares me the most about drafting a Qb
    Vikings sign Cousins
    1- browns take Darnold
    2- giants take Rosen
    3- buffalo takes Mayfield
    4- browns take Barkley
    5- broncos take Allen
    6- Jets take ?

#2159 BudJet, Feb 22, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  20. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Kirk Cousins an upgrade? Sure. . 9-7 record?...or maybe 10-6?.....why not? .. Super Bowl? Hmmm....yeah, I know, if Nick Foles won one why not Cousins?..

And no argment about draft capital being sacrificed by moving up. Me, I've already come to terms with that because I admitted at the start of the season that I was (in my words) going "full retard" and hoping we secure the top pick even if it it meant looking at a 1-15 record,, whatever. . I'm tired of being "rewarded" with 9-7 every couple of years. . No knock on the guy but I don't want the next Kirk Cousins. . I want to shoot for the moon and have a shot at (possibly) an honest-to-goodness hotshit QB that would put the word "Jets" in the contender's column for the next decade.