Kirk Cousins Mega Thread. Post all your thoughts under this thread.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your best option at QB if Mac cannot get Kirk Cousins?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2018.
  1. Sign Case Keenum

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

22 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sign Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Sign Drew Brees

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Trade for Alex Smith

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Trade for Nick Foles

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Sam Darnold

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Josh Rosen

27 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Stay at 6 and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

72 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Trade up for Colts 3rd or Browns 4th Overall Pick and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Not worth it..

Put him on ignore...I did a long time ago..he's a passive aggressive, manic depressive smoothie

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Aw man now my feelings are hurt!

Nothing says “‘mentally stable” like having to block someone on the internet because they challenge your football opinion and you can’t back it up.

#1702 BroadwayAaron, Feb 20, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  3. Bowles_Rips

Bowles_Rips New Member

Look usually 60mil year one would scare me but the way Jets played it out doesn’t.
    They rolled over 20million in cap space from last season. Now they are applying it now. It makes sense to do it. We still would have 30mil to spend this free agency and Cousins cap hit going forward will be in the low to mid 20s which is completely reasonable.
    You have to bite the bullet this year to get it done but the Jets (whether intentional or not) put themselves in position where they could sign Cousins to a long term deal making the most money in the league and not have it effect the cap space more than it would for any other top 12 qb for future years.

4. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

How many games did they lose before JG took over?

Okay. Now.

How many did they win once JG took over?

I like your attempt at sugar coating an argument but the fact of the matter is he elevated that team in a way that produced a solid winning streak to end the season.

Something they did not see UNTIL JG took over for that team.

He’s a winner, I have no doubt that winning will continue as long as he is there under center.

You are what your record says you are. True words. They didn’t do shit until JG took the reigns. That’s a fact. The other tidbits don’t matter a bit to me.

5. It absolutely does change the rebuild.

1. Perception- What will the media say which 30% of the fan base will eat right up if we sign Cousins? That we are in win now mode. You may think that's just hot air...but what caused Woody to say last preseason that "This year is about progress" essentially nicely saying that we would suck? Perception. What caused everyone's favorite Jet David Harris to be released a week before TC? Woody buying into perception & wanting to cut salary. What caused mickey mouse level fans & the media to pat the Jets on the back for going 5-11 in their 7th straight season w. no playoffs? The very perception the media themselves created. What caused Bowles to still be here after last year despite subpar game day coaching? Perception. And that last one includes Chris Johnson..

2. Culture- We were bringing quality young guys in w. intangibles to establish themselves as leaders on & off the field. These are homegrown players who have the ability to transform this team into having an identity & playing w. a purpose. Part of the reason this is able to transpire is we rid ourselves of selfish short term veterans who are thought of as leaders due to their battle scars but have zero loyalty or care for the team's culture, zero care for the long term & check out as soon as playoffs are out of the question. These young alphas don't have middling veterans stepping on their toes or putting them in their place when they try to assert themselves. Additionally, they've been able to catch their bearings so to speak b.c some of the pressure to win has been subdued as result of the clear concise rebuild. Now all of a sudden this could potentially get thrown out the window. Now we'll have an extremely highly paid 30 year old QB who up until this point has zero loyalty to the team, doesn't care about changing the culture, doesn't care about what was here before him & wants to win now at all costs. Which leads to my next point...

3.Roster management- W. Cousins in the fold there is pressure to bring in proven vets to win now. Not only is that counterproductive w. the on field youth movement..but it disrupts the culture portion referenced above. Every move we make in FA/draft from there on in factors Cousins into it.Where we might consider a player as a down the line building block or even depth..instead we'll lean toward win now starting 11 types. This team has issues far reaching beyond just starters. We need depth just as well. You think depth will be a priority once Cousins is here?? Where we might consider rebuilding the OL in the draft had we drafted a QB at 6 or stuck w. Mccown...now w. Cousins some folks will be saying "Do we really wanna stick Cousins behind a bunch of green big uglies..". We'll instead lean on veterans who are perceived as win now..

4. Potential fall out- Suppose Cousins has a below average 1st season resulting in a 4-12 record & Bowles/Mac being fired. You don't think w. all the hype surrounding him & the massive contract he wont be an object of aggression for both fans & the media?? Folks will turn on him like nothing. Some guys don't handle that well which leads to a locker room/FO/PR Mess. So in that scenario we're stuck w. a QB that everyone has turned on, who has soured on being here all together. Meanwhile al those Vets we signed to supposively win now & keep Kirkie happy want out & are adding to the behind the scenes chaos. So regime is axed, the QB we just gave a massive contract for a year prior isn't wanted anymore, the veterans are all tossed aside leaving holes at their respective positions & the locker room culture is in a disastrous state. By that time frame...we're no longer in rebuild mode...we should be on the road to ascension..but does this paint a picture of a young team on the rise like we should be by that time frame??

And again...before you saying im being overdramatic..consider the Franchise, the ownership, the fan base & the media beat. It's really not all that far fetched.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. I totally understand that & agree. While I want the QB above all else I'm not naive enough to think that it's the be all end all. Our guy may not be there, a trade up maybe prohibitive & after all we do have other needs.

I feel like somehow signing Cousins is some cryptic extremely expensive self defeating white flag w.o even allowing tHings to shake out a little. We're gonna sign the next 3-5 years away for a player who isn't paticularily young nor convincing just b.c getting a QB in round 1 isn't a sure thing?

Mac has us in this weird feast or famine predicament. It's like no QB is worth more than a 1-2 year cheap deal or mid round draft pick unless they are "the one" in which case we are all in & pouncing. The tension surrounding this has gotten more acute by the year. So here we are 4 years into this, have passed on quite a few intriguing options in the draft be it via trade or otherwise. sitting on our hands waiting for the guy. I have a hard time believing Kirk Cousins is the guy we've been waiting to fall into our laps...and thats before the obscene contract.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No problem.

I wouldn't target anyone. I would be against such a trade. I want to finish the rebuild and strive for long-term success.

I was just making the point that if the Jets go all in to make the playoffs, anything would be on the table that could strengthen and help make the team more competitive in the short term.

GQMartin likes this.
  8. We're all Jet fans here. Many of us aren't in areas w. many other Jet fans to converse. I'm sure you can understand that being a Jets fan surrounded by other team's fans isn't always very pleasant. This is a safe haven for some. Beyond that this is the best Jets forum on the internet. The conversations are intense & the knowledge is top notch. Unlike the team on the field the posting standard is very high here.

As such respect should be at the forefront of all discussions. There's absolutely no need for insults,low blows or badgering. We all like the same team, all want the same thing(the team to win) & all are privileged as well as knowledgeable enough to post here.

I used to think you were respectful & well suited for big boy football discussions.While I won't insult you or make any assumptions I've been disappointed with some of the things you have said. Maybe for you it's "just the internet"..for some of us it means much more. If its really "Just the internet" for you & you aren't interested in having constructive conversations free of insults & badgering...well maybe ignore really is the way to go.

Carry on

The Dark Knight likes this.
  9. BroadwayAaron

What have I done besides ask you to clarify things multiple times and call you out for making up something you claim I said? Anything I said to you wasn’t meant to insult. The “again” thing doesn’t imply me calling you dumb. It implies that we keep going round and round in circles and the point I’m trying to make isn’t landing. Hence why I also said it’s exhausting. If I truly just cared about insulting then I wouldn’t be responding with actual football topics and points. I think you have an issue with presenting your opinion as fact and I’m not the only poster to say something to that effect.

10. NCJetsfan

It makes total sense. To date, Mac has given Bowles pretty much whatever he has wanted, using most of the their top picks on D players, and the D still sucks, all while pretty much ignoring the offense. I don't think Bowles would win if you gave him Aaron Rodgers and a stacked roster. I think he should have been fired a year ago. Hopefully, he'll be fired after or during the 2018 season. At that point, if the team has a lot of good young talent and a good young QB prospect, the job looks a lot more appealing to perspective HC candidates than if Mac adds more picks to the D and they still suck, and the Jets have a big hole on offense.

LAJet likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

You're wasting your time and energy. The minds of the guys who want Cousins are slammed shut, and they can't even recognize or hear any logic, or how they're going for the quick fix.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  12. BroadwayAaron

Or we don’t think a guy who can play the next 5 years is a “quick fix” especially considering we have three picks in the first two rounds and a boatload of cash to spend.

13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Don't make me post a Tebow pic.

Sam Hammer likes this.
  14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

One of the reasons I value Cousins higher than others do is my total lack of respect for the Redskins organization and even Jay Gruden and his coaching staff. I think they have done a poor job since he took over, but Cousins has made them look decent. Now it is possible Kyle Shanahan and Gruden actually made Cousins look better than he is. And the defense just collapsed. That is what they feel obviously, since they don't feel Cousins is worth it and traded for Alex Smith. I think Cousins carried them to the success they had. So $30 million a year for a guy with his resume is definitely risky. I personally would take the risk though and then use the #6 overall pick on the BPA to help improve the team.

LAJet likes this.
  15. IIMeanDeanII

What’s laughable is you throwing out a bunch of junk stats, clapping your hands together, calling my post gibberish, and then truly believing you came up with a sound argument to everything I had stated within my post.

Cool stats though bruh.... Im clapping now too. Gradtz!

16. BroadwayAaron

I think it’s telling that you don’t have an actual response. And I’m sure you’ll just respond by saying it doesn’t deserve one, stats are meaningless, blah blah blah. But at the end of the day you have no way to justify blaming a 9-7 team record on a QB who led an above average offense that played opposite a below average defense.

It’s also funny that a bunch of relevant stats mean nothing in your mind but a team’s record is pinned on the QB

Can you answer these questions:

1. Was the Skins defense bottom 8-10?
    2. Was the Skins offense top 10-15?
    3. Did Kirk Cousins have a good year?

17. IIMeanDeanII

...and then what?

We talk about another irrelevant point in an attempt to justify the illogical aspects of signing a mid-tier QB to the biggest contract in the league?

Sure.

Whatever floats your boat I suppose.

18. NCJetsfan

An excellent post, but essentially a waste of time because those who are pro-Cousins don't have open minds. As you said earlier, they're operating from fear and impatience, two very strong motivating emotions.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  19. BroadwayAaron

This is just so foolish. Fear and impatience? Get a grip.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  20. IIMeanDeanII

No, I’m just done wasting my time on someone that wants to ignore my actual responses by posting about shit that don’t matter.

In an effort to derail my “gibberish” you post meaningless stats and proclaim my actual points irrelevant.

Without even acknowledging my main points of my post.

Then you try to do this weird reverse psychology angle, like I care somehow. I don’t.

I’m all for meaningful debate but if you’re going to be lazy about it, throw out meaningless stats, and belittle my posts, then it’s not worth the time.

Have fun hooking someone else with that, I’m not interested.