Kirk Cousins Mega Thread. Post all your thoughts under this thread.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your best option at QB if Mac cannot get Kirk Cousins?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2018.
  1. Sign Case Keenum

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

22 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sign Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Sign Drew Brees

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Trade for Alex Smith

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Trade for Nick Foles

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Sam Darnold

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Josh Rosen

27 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Stay at 6 and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

72 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Trade up for Colts 3rd or Browns 4th Overall Pick and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

the issue is your free agent list isn't relevant. the only one on that list hat was signed to a LTD and expected to start for us for the next 5 years or so is O'Donnell and his career was nothing like cousins at that point (and he never performed like cousins in his career) the rest were back-ups/stopgaps

2. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

The Jets, without making any releases, also have over $80 million in cap room (and could be more seeing as the cap goes up every year) in 2019, for those who worry about a Cousins deal hurting us in the future..... it surely won't. There is no one on this team, outside of maybe Enunwa and Anderson, the Jets have to bring back or give a long-term deal to before 2020. At least no one who will be costly. Thank you Tannenbaum, Idzik and Maccagnan for all of the horrible drafts. More food for thought.

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

This reminds me of the Jets pursuit of John Lynch when I joined the site back in 2004. Anyone remember that? Unfortunately, the team ended up with Reggie Tongue instead. Hopefully this has a happier ending.

GQMartin and FJF like this.
  4. 1. If he simply isn't the answer we have massive financial ramifications that will deter us from not only moving on but going back to the well to find another player

2. The inherent risk that the QB class is not just hype & we pass on the opportunity to draft one for a player who is not the answer,

3. A significant season ending injury is a whole different animal for a 30 year QB in 2018(On his second contract) than one say under the age of 27. You'd have zero cause for concern if Cousins tears his ACL or tears a shoulder week one of TC??

4. I know folks will roll their eyes but again...selling the rebuild short by being mandated to produce short term due to Cousins being in house. This results in spotty depths, potentially additionally hazardous FA acquisitions,unrealistic media expectations & clouding the perception of an ownership group always looking to front run their way to a lottery pick super bowl..

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

Very much agree. However, if Barkley drops to 6, that would be a real steal and worth it.

6. The facts aRe what they are. It's relevant for the sake of reflection. Many on here including me DO see similarities between N.O & Cousins...the stats mean nothing to me b.c they played in entirely different ersa in entirely different offensive systems. And as W-L/postseason success is concerned...N.O beats Cousins hands down.

They are similar level players. N.O was considered a top 20-15 QB just the same as Cousins is. Meanwhile our pathetic team is at a similar cross roads. It's not apples to apples...but are we really gonna do literally the same thing all these years later???

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I'd rather be in cap hell then see Mac draft Rudolph / Falk in the first.

GQMartin likes this.
  8. Anything to keep drafting defense for your boy Bowles...N worries..I'm sure you'll get your wish,

9. shasta01

shasta01 Active Member

Doesn't matter, Cousins will take less money to sign with the Vikings or Broncos, he's not signing with the Jets unless they overpay by mile. Jets are a total rebuild and he's already 30 years old.

NYJetsO12 and jilozzo like this.
  10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I'll take my chances on Cousins, along with taking Bradley Chubb to shore up the EDGE. He will make Leonard Williams and Jamal Adams better. Imagine getting a franchise QB and a blue chip EDGE rusher in 1 off-season. Jets defense will be more complete, and as long as the Jets address the center position and RB position on offense, I see a roster that can win a lot of games.

There's no way you can look at that and say shit, we had an awful off-season.

FJF likes this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The problem underlying all of this is that the Jets won 5 meaningless games that now prevent them from having a shot at a FQB with any degree of certainty. True, one of the "lesser" QBs like Mayfield, Allen, Jackson may fall to them, but while they MIGHT turn out to be FQBs, even elite QBs, they might also prove to be busts, or career backups.

In order to increase their odds, the Jets will likely have to try and get the Browns or Giants to trade with them, and even if one of them do - and it's very unlikely that they will - they'll demand an obscene amount in return. And while I have argued that draft picks shouldn't be horded because their actual worth aren't that high, they're not completely worthless either. Giving this year's plus next year's 1, plus the lower of this year's 2 is about as far as I would go, and I don't think that will get it done for Rosen or Darnold.

So the Jets will sit at 6 and hopefully whichever QB falls to them works out. But given Macc's history, it's more likely that he'll go BPA at 6, and that could well be Minka, Chubb, or an OL, and then he tries to strike gold in a later round with a QB. We've seen that movie already.

We're left sitting and hoping a miracle happens because the Jets played better than they probably are. Which then means the "lesser of evils" is to try and sign Cousins. There are really no good options.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  12. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

It's happened before and given the hype around this year's class, I consider it to be likely that the Jets would get fleeced in any move to jump up. Multiple first round picks would likely have to be included.

Browns need a QB, the Giants need a QB even though Gettleman seems to want to hold on to Eli, Broncos need a QB.

Also, that doesn't say anything about the teams with later picks not wanting to jump into the top 5 for a huge hall of picks

13. zace

zace Well-Known Member

True but they also don't hold the 6th pick. That has a lot of value.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

14. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

you're entitled to think what you want, but don't call them facts. just as you say many here agree with you, there are also many here and many experts that think cousins is a top 10 QB in the NFL.

15. Well the last part you have right..I won’t be around that long to have any comment about the offseason..they sign Cousins & this will be the first draft I have not watched religiously beginning to end since 1996. I have zero interest in seeing them draft defense again..none

This is a god damn scoring league..Why is our team & fan base the only ones who can’t seem to grasp that?

The team will finish 8-8 at best.You can’t rebuild an entire offense and undo years of offensive abandonment in 1 year..especially when we don’t even wanna address it in round 1! You can rattle off your paper championship names but what about depth?What about cohesion? Sorry..it’s just not possible.

Your offseason plan does not excite me as a fan..it’s got the making of another in a long line of utter disappointment & failure.I do respect you & enjoy your posts however

16. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I just feel that a rookie QB(preferably Rosen or Darnold) growing with a young team is the best way to have sustained success. It'll cost a ton to get either of those 2, but it could be well worth it as the Rams and Eagles have found out. Signing Cousins would mean that we have to win now before he declines. A drafted QB wouldn't have those added pressures.

#1656 CotcheryFan, Feb 20, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  17. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I concede Santana Moss. You’re right.

Jordan Reed however played the majority of the season in 15-16

Half the season last year.

Even so, he has still had more talent around him, more times than not. Players get hurt, the way it is in this game, but he has had more around him with mediocre results than what he will have coming to this team.

Which is the only point that matters.

The same applies to Williams. Even with him out, their line has been pretty good overall. We haven’t had a good line in years.

You clearly are okay with just a little bit of an upgrade that will get this team slightly above average in the league.

Not sure why that’s how so many fans think but I’ll stick to wanting the best we can do, even if that means taking some hardships to get there, instead of a consistent middle of the pack kinda team.

I’m tired of seeing it.

18. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

you are right, imo.......also factor in the state tax situation.......nj versus mn and co. obviously nj is a rip off compared to the others.

19. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Injuries happened but did you bother to see how those offensive lines ranked?

They still played damn good in 15, despite injuries.

Ranked 5th in fewest sacks allowed that year.

Kirk isn’t a great winner, even with that kind of talent around him. He’s average. Just getting by kinda guy who will get #1 SB Champ type of money. It will hurt the team in the long run and most likely short run.

The red flags behind KC becoming a FA in the first place is enough alone for me to stay away from giving him that kind of money.

To each their own I suppose.

NCJetsfan and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  20. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I still don't know how you can rattle of a list of guys who barely saw the field all at the same time and call it a solid supporting cast. What good are they if they are in street clothes on the sidelines?

Yankjetfan likes this.