Kirk Cousins Mega Thread. Post all your thoughts under this thread.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your best option at QB if Mac cannot get Kirk Cousins?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2018.
  1. Sign Case Keenum

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

22 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sign Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Sign Drew Brees

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Trade for Alex Smith

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Trade for Nick Foles

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Sam Darnold

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Josh Rosen

27 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Stay at 6 and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

72 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Trade up for Colts 3rd or Browns 4th Overall Pick and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I'm actually perfectly fine with FA coming before the draft. You need to know where you can fill out your roster with your money before you spend your biggest asset. If we sign Cousins, the door opens to EVERYONE at 6. Barkley, Nelson, Chubb, Fitzpatrick, and increases the likelihood of a trade back.

2. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

I believe those arguing against signing Kirk Cousins look at it like this; In the eyes of a Kirk Cousins skeptic, he's not the type of quarterback who's capable of putting a team on his back and raising the level of play of those around him. He's not clutch. Comes up short in the big national primetime games as well as those big season shaping games. Captain Kirk fans/stans blame the Redskins for everything. Like Kirk was a diamond surrounded by trash in DC. Kirk Cousins as a field general gets about 7 to 9 wins a year, which is the definition of NFL purgatory. As you know stability in purgatory tends to stunt rebuilds. We all could be wrong, and Kirk Cousins could actually lead a team to a Super Bowl Championship. Heck, if Trent Dilfer can do it for the Ravens anything is possible. Hope I am wrong about Kirk Cousins should our beloved New York Jets sign him, because I desperately want to see the Jets win a championship.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Truth be known we have failed miserably with both approaches. While the preponderance of "hired hands" has failed us, with may be Vinny and Favre as exceptions, albeit short lived, equally pathetic has been our inability to draft a QB that can make it. The last capable QB drafted one would argue was Ken O'Brien 1985. Our achiles heel has been IMO that we have had dismal coaching/GM vision thru the years, one that really didn't understand the value of a good offense. Sure as hell it has not gotten better with Bowles and Mac.
    Mac needs to make his mark this year. If he drafts a solid rookie QB and Bowles does not play him in a timely fashion we are back to the same BS approach and Bowles is gone. If he goes with Cousins short of a playoff appearance Mac might be gone.
    I'm of the camp that he will get someone other than Cousins for insurance and draft a QB. It is then up to Bowles to make it work. Be it Mayfield or whomever. The QB draft pick better not be done in a vacuum, and Bowles and Bates must be in the same boat with Mac and be accountable for the pick success.

4. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Getting him a proven Quarterback while drafting well should be the focus.

You're idea is to sabotage Bowles or at least you're presenting it that way.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Cousins stunts the offensive rebuild because he takes up a large percentage of the cap for the life of the contract without providing a large percentage of the offensive value on the team.

He's not an elite QB. Even the elite QB's who have been paid at the level he is going to be paid at have not produced championships.

He's a shiny thing for the Jets, a productive QB for a few years after a string of bad young QB's and one year wonders. That shiny thing isn't going to get us to a Super Bowl. We're lacking the offensive weapons around him and even the basic protection that he is going to need to flourish.

If the Jets could get Cousins at an affordable contract against the cap I'd be all for it. If he was a $15M a year guy there would be room for him in a limited Super Bowl window over the next few years. The Jets would have to draft better than they have in the past and concentrate more value on the offensive side but Cousins would be an acceptable signal caller unlikely to drag the team down at that price.

At top of league money he's just going to be a drag on the team. He's not a top 10 QB, he's more like a top 15 guy. He's not young with a high ceiling, he's established at a mid-level ceiling. Drew Brees was 27 when he went to the Saints and he had more room for growth, which he managed to do. He was paid as a mid-level QB at $10M a year on that first contract which stretched from 2006 to 2011 and gave him only a third of the money up front. The contract was backloaded in terms of salary and gave the Saints outs from year 3 onwards in the event that it was a bust.

The Saints were a very good team with Brees on a mid-level contract. As soon as they paid him they started going 7-9 like clockwork. The QB may be the biggest shiniest piece of the puzzle but he's not going to complete things on his own. Paying him like he can do that has brought good rosters down over and over again in the cap era.

The only QB today who gets paid anything near the top and wins consistently is Ben Roethlisberger. The only reason he can do that is that he has one of the greatest WR's of all time lined up on the outside and a great back in the backfield with him. The Steelers OL is very strong with two 1st round picks playing at a Pro Bowl level year in and year out in Pouncey and DeCastro. The Steelers culture is very strong, with holdouts frowned upon in the locker room and divisive players sent packing when they start complaining.

Even so, the Steelers have not been able to get back to the Super Bowl in the era in which Roethlisberger and Antonio Brown have been paid near top dollar. They have seen LeVeon Bell take up more of the cap also as he nears free agency and the overall team is aging in place without getting the next ring.

6. I'll gladly acknowledge it. Some of the players you are listing I'd love to bring on board here.,but if Cousins is here they won't be brought here to slowly ascend; it will be to win & win now. Additionally, I want the team to actually draft offensive talent...i dont care who they bring in in FA..part of the reason we are in the position we are in is b.c we don't prioritize offense in the draft & when we do we usually get it wrong. We go on an offensive spending spree, the way the draft is lining up we're right back to drafting defense early...likely a pass rusher or CB. I'm tired of going that route...i dont care how much of a need it is. It's time to address the offense.Period.

I view the QB position as the most important on the field. this regime has continually held off on making a long term commitment to the position seemingly waiting for the "Right one". IAfter all the waiting..pouncing on Kirk Cousins for a massive deal doesn't entice me. I'll pass.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. It only sabotages Bowles if he isn't in the long term plans. A reasonably prudent Gm/Ownership/Media
    It's about building the team for long term success. If Bowles doesn't fit into that narrative he wasnt the right man for the job anyway.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. BroadwayAaron

Allen Robinson is 24... he's already a high-level receiver... based off what you're saying here, the only reason you don't want him is because you would rather draft a guy that isn't as good yet. Do you see how that sounds absurd?

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The NBA is overly generous on salaries for it's players. That's how they got the players to agree to draft first and then free agency.

Having free agency come first gives the players a better shot at hitting a big contract when they come free. The NFLPA is never going to allow that to be reversed, not without significant concessions in other areas.

FJF and BrowningNagle like this.
  10. Again... I'm perfectly content w. another season of Mccown or a different vent & not going QB at #6. You continue to try & make it as if im "Qb or bust" at 6. I absolutely prefer to go that route..but its not the be all end all & certainly not as black & white as "Cousins vs. QB at 6".

If We're putting all our eggs in 1 basket for a QB..I don't think Cousins should be that guy.

Beyond that all i care about is building up the offense with youth in the same manner thats been done on D. That's it my friend.

11. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I prefer FA before the draft.

12. BroadwayAaron

I actually didn't even mention QB in that post so I'm not sure what you're talking about. Again. I asked you a question about signing Allen Robinson and you responded talking about McCown being a stopgap QB for a year.

The point is you seem to have this stubborn mentality that a player is only good if you draft them.

13. DisgruntledLionFan

DisgruntledLionFan Active Member

Well, yeah, five of the top 10 QBs were drafted over 13 years ago.

Most of these arguments boil down to fans who believe elite QBs "elevate" their teams and the belief that wins are a QB stat. Who in the Hell was Rivers elevating a few years ago? Prior to the Saints FO adding a spectacularly studded draft class, why wasn't Brees "elevating" the Saints to .500?

And if these QBs do "elevate" talent around them, why doesn't a QB like Roethlisberger put up better stats than Cousins when the talent difference between offenses is enormous?

It's almost like football is a team game, man. No dog in this fight but I've heard all of the rguments before in regards to Stafford. The FO is still the most important piece to the puzzle and if they fail to continually add talent, then even Rodgers ain't getting to the dance.

#1593 DisgruntledLionFan, Feb 20, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    NCJetsfan, TonyFtLaud and FJF like this.
  14. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

What is Kirk Cousin's signature win? The one were everyone still talks about it. Like, oh my god did you see that throw Kirk Cousins made to win the game in OT. Wow! lmao

15. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  16. BroadwayAaron

True. Every QB in the league has one of those. Like SB champion Nick Foles and NFC championship QB Case Keenum (spare me the game-winner against NO, that wasn't Keenum's doing) and the guy Washington replaced him with Alex Smith and the guy who was an Amendola snag away from beating Brady in Blake Bortles. Great point.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  17. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

With Kirk, it’s about money. Yes we have a ton but that money would be better off spent elsewhere if it’s too much. An average of 20-25 a year I can live with that. Over that and cousins isn’t worth it anymore.

And yeah, what is cousins’s sig win? He’s a slightly above average QB not worth overspending for (esp at age 30)

18. DisgruntledLionFan

DisgruntledLionFan Active Member

19. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

Smith has the saints game

No one wants bortles or Keenum anyway

Foles at least has that 27-2 season or whatever

20. If that’s all you’ve got From our discussion there’s no point in continued dialogue.

You enjoy your mediocre overpriced QB & another defense heavy draft