Kirk Cousins Mega Thread. Post all your thoughts under this thread.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your best option at QB if Mac cannot get Kirk Cousins?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2018.
  1. Sign Case Keenum

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

22 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sign Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Sign Drew Brees

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Trade for Alex Smith

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Trade for Nick Foles

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Sam Darnold

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Josh Rosen

27 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Stay at 6 and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

72 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Trade up for Colts 3rd or Browns 4th Overall Pick and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If Rudolph and Falk go in the mid to late 1st we're going to have 7 QB's taken in the 1st, which would be shades of '83.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  2. Yeah..I’m lukewarm at best on Falk..watched him a few times & never came away impressed.But he has his admirers & based on reports that includes some NFL decision makers.The one thing I liked about the kid was his command of the offense at Wazzou & folks rave about his leadership/intangibles.Hes got that Brandon Weeden/JP Losman/Kyle Boller feel to him which means somebody will lose their job drafting him late in round 1;Hoping it’s not us in a trade up/down scenario

Rudolph I’m a bit higher on. He’s got prototypical size,moves pretty well,good release & underrated arm strength. He needs a year on the bench..no doubt about that but the upside is hard to deny. Wouldn’t want him until pick 25 the earliest & even that would be a reach;Nonetheless I think he’ll end up going top 20/25

3. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

That's a best case scenario.
    Could trade Cousins, trade the pick for a bunch of picks, Draft Darnold and let him develop, then trade cousins and start Darnold.

4. TonyFtLaud

There's no reason for the skins to tag Cousins at all. He would file a grievance, and become an UFA in a couple of days. Washington misplayed their hand and are grasping at straws.

5. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

On the NFL network they mention the Browns taking Rosen & Barkley or Darnold & Barkley. If we don't get Cousins let's use #6 on Mayfield.

6. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Still hearing Browns like Mayfield.

If would be Jets luck to sign Cousins and have Rosen or Darnold there at 6.

Have to believe if Jets sign Cousins and if either of those 2 are there, we trade out.

7. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

It will be tough if either of them are there. If we think that either are can’t miss QBs, I would take one and then trade Cousins in a couple of years. You can never have too many QBs

8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Signing Cousins and having one of those two available is the best possible scenario. Someone will be ponying up a boatload of picks.

9. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

It would be hugely profitable. Though, selfishly, I’d like Barkley if he’s there.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. BroadwayAaron

I kind of agree honesty. You immediately transform your offense with two moves and man, if you can lure Allen Robinson in too?

I’ll stop now.

GQMartin likes this.
  11. I hedge my bet in that scenario & don't leave the 50 year misery laiden QB riddle up to chance. Cousins for the short term & draftee for the long term. Closest thing this franchise came to true QB stability in the last 20 years was drafting Pennington w. Vinny already in house. Granted we had 4 1st rounders in that draft class & Penny fell to us against all odds.

Nonetheless If I'm Mac the one position I'm certain is 100 times better than last year heading into camp..It's QB. I'm sure plenty would bitch about not taking another position..but guess what? If signing a big name & drafting a QB high is what it takes to end the insanity..sign my name in bloody green.

12. BroadwayAaron

You can’t spend the 6 pick on a QB if you just spent $30 mil on one that will get you through the next 4-5 years. Whoever is hypothetically backing up Cousins probably won’t see the field unless Cousins gets hurt or bolts after one contract with us.

Makes way more sense to get him an elite RB, trade back for some OL help or finally get a pass rusher. There will be QBs available over the next 3 years for us to groom.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

If Chubb is there at 6 and the Jets have Cousins I think they have to pull the trigger on him, even if there are trade offers on the board. The Jets haven't had a pass rusher since Abraham and Chubb would be a huge need and excellent talent for us on D.

Pepsiguy5 and BroadwayAaron like this.
  14. BroadwayAaron

The more and more we discuss it, the more and more I can’t comprehend how anyone wouldn’t want Cousins here (yes even at $30 mil a year) considering how many doors it opens at 6. We could make a HUGE turnaround in two moves.

TonyFtLaud, Pepsiguy5 and BudJet like this.
  15. Under normal circumstances perhaps you'd have a point. But this goes back to why I'm opposed to Cousins coming here.

In my opinion this offense is maybe a half notch away from being rock bottom...completely bare. I get folks like Robbie & Enunwa..but what are they other than role players? Neither run a very sophisticated or vast route tree & neither are sure bet producers on a weekly basis.Neither can be depended on in the long term. Enunwa is a physical player coming off a season ending neck injury...Anderson has well documented off the field/maturity issues before we even get into his wiry frame. now they aren't meaningless...but are we really building an offense around a couple niche WR's who aren't even starter level on good teams?? Who else is there on this offense that we're honestly considering as a valid building block for this offense to ascend? There really isn't one.

We've finally started rebuilding this roster the right way by emphasizing youth. Of course we never put offense first so all those pieces are on D. It's time to finally address this offense with some young building blocks. But no..not the Jets..instead we're gonna start from scratch w. a 30 year old QB who rightly or wrongly is built to win now. That in and of itself is reason for major pause. Subsequently...the QB we likely really should be taking at 6 to begin the rebuild gets left in the dust for Cousins.

And hey..now all of a sudden folks think we are contenders b.c we have a media darling QB ....why bother w. any other offensive pieces at all? We need a pass rusher so that we can contend. Right back to drafting defense all over again. The problem is...with or without Cousins we aren't contenders in 2018.We can either be a young roster on the ascension...or in some strange mutated world of confusion where we're still exceptionally young & learning but forced to cater to a seemingly out of place Veteran QB who may not even be good enough if we even had the proper offensive pieces in place.

A changing of the guard is slowly happening at the QB position in the NFL. Shady,Rivers,Roethlisberger,Ryan, Stafford & Brees are slowly going to give way to names like Wentz,Goff, Watson(?), Maholmes(?),Trubisky(?)...Well within that script is this QB class. After sitting through Marino,Kelly& now Shady in many of our lifetimes...it finally looks like it's our turn. We're gonna miss the boat on this to have a 30 year old the QB desperate Redskins tossed aside for Alex Smith? Sounds like classic same ole Jets for me.

Back to the original point....the cupboard is so bare,while the QB hole is so acute.. I'd have zero second thoughts of taking a QB at 6 with Cousins in the fold. It's madness...but so is sitting through Kely/Marino/Shady w. the garbage we've had behind center. Fix it at all costs & start building this offense w. both short/long term security at the most important position

#1515 KurtTheJetsFan, Feb 19, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2018
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Yes... preach it. I'm kind of a closet fan of splurging the #6 pick on Nelson to go along with Cousins and then one of the RB's in round 2. But Chubb would potentially be pretty game changing as well. Cousins, a potential HOF level guard in Nelson who may be able to become your center, and Sony Michel to go along with Powell and McGuire, Enunwa coming back. That's a potential total transformation in my mind. The foundation would seem to be all in place to go really tear some shit up.

Bowles could do his conservative ground and pound stuff but it'd be backed up by a completely legitimate NFL passing attack as well.

BudJet likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree, obviously, but that's what makes the world go round. Wentz has played well his first two season. Goff was awful his rookie season and then very good this season. Mariota has been so-so. Carr has been better, but still not "tearing it up." Just because a young QB can produce doesn't mean he's "lighting it up" or tearing it up or will earn a huge contract.

As far as the cap and QB salaries, I again disagree. If the cap has to go down, it won't take long for QB contracts to go down. While QBs are the most important player, if teams can't afford to keep other great players, or have to gut their OL or D in order to pay the QB, they won't do that for long. The league will change and go back to more team-oriented and RB focused offenses and minimize the importance of QBs. With modern QBs not calling their own plays, if the game shifts back to run-oriented offenses and great defenses, then teams won't have to pay their QBs so much and can have better teams.

It would be just the Jets luck to get locked into a big long-term contract with Cousins with much of the money guaranteed, the cap go down, other teams shift more to run-oriented offenses, and the Jets be stuck with Cousins and be behind the curve again.

18. NCJetsfan

I didn't say trade "up." I said:

I agree with your second paragraph. I'm not saying that I think that Mac definitely would trade the pick or picks, just that it wouldn't surprise me if the Jets have a mandate to make the playoffs, and if the Jets sign Cousins, I would expect that the Johnsons would give Mac and Bowles such a mandate.

19. NCJetsfan

Sorry, but if you're talking signing Cousins and drafting a QB at #6, then I totally disagree unless the plan would be to only keep Cousins for 2-3 seasons and then dump him, and hand the ball to the rookie. I'm not spending the #6 pick in the draft on a player (even a QB) that isn't gonna see the field for 4-6 seasons. I probably wouldn't even do it and have him sit for 2-3 seasons. That is a huge waste, and would be a fireable offense imo. If the Jets sign Cousins, then the thing to do would be to trade down add an additional 2nd or perhaps a 2nd and 3rd or 2nd and 4th round picks, and then draft a QB in the 2nd-4th round to develop and/or perhaps use as trade bait.

#1519 NCJetsfan, Feb 19, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  20. TonyFtLaud

I agree with you except for the cap going down. It will increase the next couple years then go up a considerable amount with the next CBA. There will be a bidding war for streaming rights and tv revenue has not shown any signs of decreasing, it's actually increased . Super Bowl commercial revenue this year was $419 , that's a $49 million dollar increase over last year. The NFL is still by far the most watched programing . And revenues have continued to increase even with the lower ratings. In the new CBA there will be a 4 1/4 - 5 % increase of total revenue that will go to the salary cap.That alone will add at least 30 million to the cap if not more so salaries will actually rise at a higher rate then we have seen to date.