Kirk Cousins Mega Thread. Post all your thoughts under this thread.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your best option at QB if Mac cannot get Kirk Cousins?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2018.
  1. Sign Case Keenum

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

22 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sign Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Sign Drew Brees

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Trade for Alex Smith

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Trade for Nick Foles

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Sam Darnold

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Josh Rosen

27 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Stay at 6 and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

72 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Trade up for Colts 3rd or Browns 4th Overall Pick and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

When Tannenbaum signed Sanchez to his large extension we were told that very rarely do these large QB contracts come back to bite teams as well...interestingly

2. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

If Garropolo got 27.5 per year, then you know it's going to cost more for the Jets to get Cousins.

I need to know from every Jets fan out there:

1) Are you ready and willing to invest about 150 million into Cousins knowing his past in Washington?

2) Are you ready to go all in 100% behind him? Are you prepared to build the team that exclusively accommodates Cousins needs and wants? Like Sanchez got for a few years in 2009 and 2010? Are you prepared to see him be CODDLED like Sanchez was?

3) Do you honestly believe Kirk Cousins is the guy that will win us a SB? Not get us into the playoffs, not give us a short term benefit of being approximately 8-8 or something similar. NOTHING other than Kirk Cousins being a member of the NYJ when he hoists a Lombardi trophy will suffice. It's 100% SUPER BOWL, anything short of that is considered FAILURE?

Make no mistake about it, the above is what you must believe in if you want to sign Kirk Cousins. Understand with the dollar amount he demands you are automatically limited in signing Free Agents because Cousins will take up such a huge percentage of the cap.

If you can honestly answer every one of those questions YES, then I agree with your wanting to sign him.

However, for me, this is crystal clear. This guy simply is NOT good enough. The phrase, "The cream rises to the top no matter what" comes to mind. If he had the goods then he would have risen above all of the things standing in his way in Washington. He would have at least once taken the Skins deep into the playoffs. He would NOT have had the Redskins so willing to part ways with him in favor of a Journeyman QB. I would not want any part of signing this retread.

zace likes this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Stopped reading at the bolded because if he doesn't work out, we won't be sinking $150 mil into him. Read the posts above about how QB contracts work in today's NFL. I think we'd be paying him half that if he doesn't work out by year 3 and would most likely be able to move on in 4.

HomeoftheJets and FJF like this.
  4. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Sanchez couldn't hold Cousins's jock strap

JetsNation06 likes this.
  5. BrowningNagle

I hope you are right!

wait- unless Cousins signs elsewhere. Then I hope you are wrong

6. zace

zace Well-Known Member

And that's why this team is the jets with no event super bowl wins. You overpay for mediocre talent that produces just enough to look good on paper, but never enough to contribute to a winning culture.

You absolutely do not sink 30 mil a year into a qb who won't even be starting in 4 years, five max. It's stupid, you don't see NE writing 30 mil checks to any and everyone. That's how they sustain. They get guys who want to win, and understand tying up the cap to a subpar talent, definitely doesn't accomplish that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

7. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

So even in that scenario you're ready to 100% devote the next at least 3 seasons into seeing him play for the NYJ knowing all of the risks I mentioned? It's a HUGE, ENORMOUS commitment.

Actually, I know you are so this post is pointless. But you know where I stand. This guy does NOT have the goods as far as I am concerned and this will ultimately get Mac/Blowes fired. But only after ruining this teams ability to shift gears for at least another 3 seasons. He's NOT good enough to win it all. The best case scenario with him gets you into that abysmal, never ending, sea of mediocrity.

8. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

1) yes, front load the contract and if it doesn't work out walk away.
    2) Cousins won't need to be coddled. He has experience in this league, has proved he can play and i don't see surrounding him with players to make him successful as a bad thing. I'd sign him and draft heavy on oline.
    3) Winning a Lombardy takes a lot more then a just a qb, qb is just a huge piece of the puzzle. Cousins has shown enough that he could be that piece of the puzzle. There are no guarantees on this one so asking would any QB 100% win this team a ring is not a question based in reality.

I still prefer we go QB at 6 and use the salary room to sign young talent around him but if Cousins is the choice the front office makes, i believe he is good enough to bring the team a Lombardy.

TonyFtLaud and FJF like this.
  9. BroadwayAaron

Am I missing something? I don't remember his contract ever being an issue. It was a bad deal, but when did it ever hamstring the team?

When has a QB contract EVER hamstrung a team? Only thing I can think of is Osweiller costing the Texans a second rounder to offload him.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

For those trying to compare Sanchez to Cousins, you seriously need to watch some game film. Cousins' is superior to Sanchez in every way except maybe scrambling ability and that's the last thing you want your franchise pocket QB doing anyway. Sanchez was a human INT and sucked. Horrible comparison.

11. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Actually, I don’t know it’s going to cost more than that.

Ask yourself, the more he asks, the less teams he has available to him. The less teams he has available to pay him that much, the less those teams will feel cornered into having to pay it to obtain his services.

At the end of the day the team still has to believe what he asks is his value; what Garapollo got paid doesn’t set in stone that Cousins value is more. In fact, it is reasonable that Garapollo’s value, which is clearly based on being a potential elite Qb, reduces Cousins value since nobody is talking about him as an elite QB.

Cousins price tags would then become what is the value of a very good QB when elite QB’s get $27.5 million.

12. BrowningNagle

If you think the Sanchez extension didn't "hamstring" this team then you are a little bit clueless

MJK likes this.
  13. BrowningNagle

Cousins is a lot better than Sanchez. I wasn't trying to compare them as players. I merely brought up Sanchez, well Sanchez's contract anyway, because some people seem to think a big QB contract never hurts a team. When we clearly know first hand here that it can

14. BroadwayAaron

Please elaborate rather than just ducking out and pretending I'm an idiot for having a different opinion.

Sanchez got hurt in the second year of that extension. He never played a snap in year 2 of what was essentially a 2-year deal. If you wanna argue his play hamstrung us, ok. But the contract wasn't an albatross. It didn't ruin our shot at any free agent. In fact his new deal gave us MORE cap space in the first year.

So year 1... creates more cap room. Year 2... injured. Year 3... gone. I'm interested in your answer.

15. BrowningNagle

We lost half the team to free agency because the Sanchez extension helped suck up all the cap space. The Jets had to waive goodbye to a balanced, complete AFC Championship roster that carried Sanchez weekly because of his extension. Shoot - Rex and Tannenbaum might even still be here if not for how badly that extension decision turned out

16. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

17. BroadwayAaron

You might wanna check the transaction wire guy....

For starters, the year he signed the extension we GAINED cap space, so anyone that walked had literally nothing to do with the contract. It's asinine to try and tie the two together.

Then in 2013 we lost Dustin Keller (who had a whopping 28 receptions in 2012 in 8 games), Shonn Greene (who was a complement to the guy that actually carried Sanchez to those champ games and we brought in Ivory to replace him), lost Slauson (who got PAID) and Moore (who flat out retired), Bart Scott (who was a cap casualty because of his play more than anything), Revis (who wanted out unless we bent over for him).

So yea, like I said, just flat out false.

Still waiting to hear how the Sanchez extension hamstrung us.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The problem wasn't Sanchez's contract, it was Sanchez. If we gave Sanchez a cheap contract, we would have been in the same mess.

FJF likes this.
  19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

NE is lucky that Brady's wife is richer than he is, so he doesn't care too much about money. If Brady demanded 30M per year, NE would give it to him.

20. BrowningNagle

hahaha oh my gosh. You accuse me of false information as you engage in revisionist history. What a hoot! You think they wanted to line up with Clyde Gates and Chaz Schliens at wide receiver?? Mike Tannenbaum suddenly decided after a lifetime in the game that he didn't know anything about football and picked up those two guys to be the top weapons on purpose? He didn't have any cap room because Sanchez sucked it all up.