Interested in Nick Foles?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Cat, Nov 4, 2014.

1. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Remember, Howie Roseman is the GM there and he is know to move on from players in the blink of an eye.
    Eagles are over the cap as it stands and have to clear space. I think it would be foolish to trade him before knowing how Wentz is recovering though.
    I don't see other teams giving a ransom for Foles, he played the game of his life Sunday. But he still has had a rocky career and has never made it through a full season. Fans over react to things like that. GMs don't , or shouldn't.

Patriot and LF911SC like this.
  2. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

The Pats couldn't get a kings ransome for Garoppolo, Foles with one year on his deal isn't bringing in a kings ransome. Too many QBs available for anyone to have to go crazy outbidding anyone. Cousins, Bridgewater, Taylor, Keenum, draft guys, hard to ask for too much

Noam likes this.
  3. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Who's handing off to Barkley?

4. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Taking Barkley is entirely based on if we solve qb in FA, if not, Barkley isn't a smart pick

boozer32 likes this.
  5. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

The Eagles will be approximately 9 million over the cap at the start of the 2018 season in a month. Unless they
    are able to clear a large portion of space, the luxury of having a back-up QB making 7.6m may not be feasible.
    Philly may want to reward Foles with a possible starting position of their choosing (AFC). Macc should explore
    this option with a possible trade for Foles and maybe either Celek/Smith to ease their cap issues. Maybe our
    late 2nd rd or 3rd......then give Foles 3 yrs 45mill....draft his successor at #6....

https://overthecap.com/calculator/philadelphia-eagles/

tbruner12 likes this.
  6. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

Trade for Foles, Celek or Smith, draft Barkley at #6, resign McCown for insurance. Let the offensive staff get worked out somehow and let's get a system in place on offense. We will get us a young QB then somehow.
    Sign CB, OL, edge, LB, WR, where possible.
    Draft CB, OL, edge, LB, WR with 2nd, 3rd, 4th, where possible.
    Fill the voids all over the team.
    Drafting a QB this year wouldn't be good with all the questions we have in the coaching positions. Especially if our current staff doesn't last thru next year or the next.
    Experience at the QB position will keep the rebuild moving forward.
    My $0.02.

7. TonyFtLaud

Back to the wild cat. Direct snaps..:rolleyes:

boozer32 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I disagree. Depending on which QBs are there, taking Barkley and then grabbing the best of the "Tier 2" guys with the 2nd pick might be the best move to make anyway. Barkley will instantly upgrade the game of whoever is the QB.

tbruner12 likes this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

As much as I want to draft their FQB, your plan makes some sense...might be worth more than $0.02.

10. TonyFtLaud

They still need to sign a vet backup QB ,fig fig at least $6 million.
    So to save $1.5 million they should give up Foles and Celek/Smith for a late 2 or 3?
    They can get a 2 for Foles on his own.

11. tbruner12

Put Barkley on the 2017 Jets offense, and McCown is instantly better than he was. So would Anderson, ASJ, Kearse, Etc.....
    What did our offense average point wise last season? You can add 4-5 points a game to that because of a playmaker like him.
    Take any QB in the draft this year and put him in place of McCown.
    If we averaged 25 with McCown and add 4-5 with Barkley?
    Any rookie QB will be lucky to average 18-20 a game. Also it may never get better. Risk of the draft, right?
    Do you see a Brady, Peyton, Elway, Marino, popping out at you in this class? Nope.
    Do you see our staff turning any of these draft QB's into anything equal or better than McCown last season?

That's why Barkley is the best football player in the draft.
    Our FQB that everyone wants (Brady, Marino, etc...) isn't in this class. None worth reaching up for IMO.
    Barkley might be. Playmakers are as hard to find as FQB. Brady didn't start out as their FQB in NE, he was serviceable. They won 3 titles while he was serviceable.
    By serviceable I mean, not who he is now, nor was he projected to be what he has became.
    If I move up in this draft for anyone in this draft, it's Barkley. IMO

12. tbruner12

Our rebuild moves up and forward without question, barring injury. That FQB that you moved up for can be injured just as easy, and carries more risk. An established QB that isn't over the hill is a much better choice for the long haul than a rookie unless he pops out at you. I could be wrong, I just don't see one this year.

13. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Very well said Tony and right on.

14. Rivers23

Rivers23 Active Member

Come to think of it, the Eagles probaby won't trade him until Wentz is 100%, which may be December for all we know. If that's the case, provided we decide to go for Foles, what do we do, play McCown?

15. TonyFtLaud

That scenario would rule out Foles unless the plan is to go with Hack this year passing on the FA QB's and draft prospects.
    Then it's a call that the new GM would have to make

16. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

No doubt we need a play maker like Barkley on this team... we need someone for D-coordinators to have fits over and that player is not on our roster currently.
    I think a kid like Sony Michel could be that guy too.

I'm hoping for our off-season to turn out something like this;

Cousins-FA
    AR2-FA
    BPA @6 (DE,RB,CB)
    Michel-RD2
    CB- Butler or TJ
    QB-draft one in a later round (Fergusen-Memphis)

tbruner12 and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  17. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

For me it’s a yes and no because Barkley is going to be a stud but running backs are always dependent on who’s blocking for them. We would be best served addressing o line heavily if we want to be a serious running focus team. Now, as for taking a Tier 2 QB, they won’t start this year and unfortunately given how the jets have been and the mounting pressure and expectations for macc and Bowles I do not think they will push QB back more than they already have. Look for them to go heavy after cousins and if they strike out on him they will likely go Qb at 6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

i'll eat the crow here... he took his game to another level when Wentz went down. respect.

i still don't want Foles though unless he comes with a package deal including Doug P lol

grkmanga31 and boozer32 like this.
  19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I know a lot of people have said this but foles was putting the ball in some tight spots all game. It wasn’t like receivers were running wide open.
    I would give up the Seattle 2nd

tbruner12 likes this.
  20. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

Eagles have Sudfeld signed for 600K in 2018, I realize he is not the same as Foles, but if you look at
    their salary cap situation, they would need to restructure/cut one or more higher paid players, my point
    was Macc should explore possibility that Philly would trade players to get cap relief
    PS: highly doubt they could get a 2 for Foles alone, but stranger things have happened..