Interested in Nick Foles?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Cat, Nov 4, 2014.

1. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I was really happy for Foles yesterday because he was the guy I wanted for the Jets when he was a FA, but not now. I want Macc to finish what he started and rebuild through the draft. Foles will be 29 next season. For better or worse, his career is half over. There is some good QB talent ready to be drafted, lets get one and build a winning franchise.

2. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Bowles sucks, but that does not mean Jeremy Bates sucks. From all indications, Bates and whoever is hired to be the "run game" coordinator, which mite I add is another mark of Bowles being a bad HC, will likely control the offense. I trust Bates to make Cousins all he can be, not Bowles. Also, thinking a player is a top 10-12 QB, does not mean that he can win games on his own. Actually, even the greatest QB's can't do that, see yesterday Brady throwing for 500+ yards and still losing because the Pats defense couldn't stop a nose bleed.

If you're comparing the philly roster versus the redskins roster, add the coaching in, and everyone on this forum, minus any homers, will say that philly has a deeper and more talented roster than the redskins and that is bolstered by a better coaching staff, specifically at HC. Pederson did what every other HC couldn't do and that was to outcoach Belichek and also be ballsy and not rest on leads. Time and time again we've seen the Pats beat other teams because the opposition thought having a lead was enough to take their foot off the gas. So it's not just opinions here really its a fact that Pederson and the eagles are better than the Redskins.

You may despise Cousins all you want but if you're saying the talent is comparable between Philly and Redskins then there's no point in continuing the discussion because it would signify that you're unwilling to at least accept that Cousins has not had the supporting cast, nor the coaching staff around him that Wentz or Foles for that matter has with the eagles.

Of your points, your final point about financial freedom may be the best one, but you also don't take into account that we have 100 mil in cap space and have the means the structure the contract to allow for an out after a few seasons. We aren't a 40 mil cap team that has to tie in everything just to get him. We can theoretically front load it to minimize the damage that can happen if Kirk doesn't pan out.

TonyFtLaud, blackssmagic and FJF like this.
  3. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

If Mac doesn't nail this draft he won't be around for anymore rebuilds. This is make or break for him.

tbruner12 likes this.
  4. grkmanga31

I don't want Foles for football reasons but being a 29 year old QB means you have a lot of football left in you. We aren't in the 1970's anymore where QB's are murdered on the field and end up having to retire early. QB's are protected because the league recognizes they are the moneymakers and playmakers of football. Hence, why you have and will see QB's play into their late 30's and early 40's.

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

yep. QBs aren't allowed to get hit anymore. That would prolong anyone's career.

Plus the game is all about spreading people out and using the short passing game. that favors older, more experienced guys over the days when the big arms were needed for downfield football which favored the young guys.

6. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

It's amazing how many fans here are afraid of Denver. Everything goes through Denver, as if they're a model franchise on the brink of winning.

blackssmagic likes this.
  7. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Because the have Wentz, because he has one year left on his deal and he'll never be worth more than he is today?

tbruner12 likes this.
  8. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Compare the teams history. Who runs the teams and though Denver took a step back last year with a component qb they'd compete for a playoff position. McCown was component last year and were under 500 with him. Yeah I'd choose Denver.

tbruner12 likes this.
  9. grkmanga31

I personally don't think they're that great and think they are a team on the decline because their defense is old and their o-line is putrid. On the contrary, Elway was able to woo Peyton to sign for him and I think similarly, Elway may be able to save himself yet again with the "sign with us because I am a HOF QB and know how to win and surround you with talent".

It's a very real possibility that Denver will be in the hunt for Cousins, and if we're also being honest with the situation at hand, if both Broncos and Jets strike out on Kirk, both will be looking for a QB in round 1. They have the fifth pick, we the sixth. We may need to jump them to get a QB

blackssmagic likes this.
  10. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

And if Wentz gets hurt again next year they have a Super Bowl winning QB ready to step in on a salary that amounts to pennies.

Fans really overrate the value of draft picks. A 2nd rounder is worth nothing to a team with a roster that’s already elite. It’s certainly not worth the insurance that Foles gives the Eagles.

11. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

To add the other reasoning they could try and trade Foles with his high value Philly really likes the third string QB Nate Sudfield. He's probably no Foles but if they get a good draft pick back from Foles they could turn around a groom another QB from the '18 draft.

12. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

I disagree. It would be a deal similar to what the Chiefs got for Alex Smith, but instead of a 3rd they can get a 2nd rd pick and a player. Foles will have to agree to an extension. I would give the Eagles one of our 2nd rd picks(51), Darron Lee, and give Foles a 4 year extension. Then Jets could trade down in the 1st rd from 6 to somewhere between 10 and 15 and recover more draft stock.

tbruner12 likes this.
  13. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I’m not arguing that it doesn’t make sense from the Jets perspective, I can’t see why the Eagles would be interested. Especially when Wentz isn’t guaranteed to be ready for week 1. Foles can keep them above water while Wentz finishes up his rehab and gets fully healthy.

14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I’d give the Seattle 2nd for foles if we strike out On cousins. Not sure on much more than that though

15. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

16. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Nothing would surprise me when it comes to the Philadelphia GM, Howie Roseman. He's certainly not the risk averse type.

Big Cat likes this.
  17. NotSatoshiNakamoto

[​IMG]

#157 NotSatoshiNakamoto, Feb 5, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  18. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Unless someone overpays I don't seem them trading him as Wentz is probably not starting the season...I always thought Foles was better then he showed with the Rams but I don't think I would invest the future in him.

Big Cat likes this.
  19. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

I could see offering a 2nd rounder for Foles. His cheap contract provides a lot of flexibility, and wouldn't necessarily deter you from drafting a QB in Rd 1 if one fell into your lap.

blackssmagic likes this.
  20. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

I wouldnt touch Foles with a 10 foot pole. As you saw with Fitzpatrick QBs that have been mediocre their entire career typically revert back to their old ways.

The league will go to school on Foles and the Eagles in the offseason.