Free Agency Targets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFanInPA, Dec 28, 2017.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Other than quoting "middling" which you did use, I don't know where I quoted you, but if so sorry, I didn't mean to put words in your mouth. I don't like it when done to me either.

Like I said, if you KNOW going in that the player is middling, of course you don't spend a high pick on him, But you can't know that. If a GM takes a guy - regardless of position - with his 1st pick you have to assume he thinks he's not middle of the pack.

And I wasn't trying to change the argument. I responded to what you replied to of my post. I don't see how that's "changing the argument". We've crossed swords before, and you've been dismissive of some of my posts in the past, and it seemed like this is where you were headed. Sorry if I was reactive.

2. ColoradoContrails

Yes, which is why I wasn't actually trying to defend NYJet's stats. I DID want to counter the argument that you were implying, if not outright stating, that two thirds of 1st round QBs are busts.

3. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Let's see what actually happens. That's still proves nothing about Mahomes tho. Considering how the Chiefs fizzled out there's a good chance they make some changes anyway and letting Smith go is part of that...

4. ColoradoContrails

Fair enough.

5. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

It should be based on reality, and some real facts would help too. The best is fans who get their ideas from the Mehta's out there.

hornblower likes this.
  6. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

As long as they don't take themselves too seriously.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

How many top 10 QBs go into the season as anything less than a 2? This just seems like a stretch.

8. ColoradoContrails

I'm not sure what you mean by "top 10", but doesn't Hack fall into that category?

And there's another element to the "risk factor" that I attributed to the Steelers with Big Ben: There was "risk" involved in taking him at #11 - he was the third QB taken, and wasn't in the discussion for "can't miss" like P. Manning, or even Rivers. Not that he was considered a reach, but there was risk involved as there are with all players, especially QBs. So to go into the season with him as the #2, was somewhat a risky decision.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Top 10 pick I meant, and I was rounding down for Ben just for arguments sake.

But again, what QBs taken in the first round let alone top 11 start as anything less than the #2 QB?

10. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

After watching today's game I am wondering if we should roll the dice on Drew Brees. At 38 he might have a few years left in the tank. Between our cap space and draft picks we could upgrade OL , pass rush, CB, and RB to give him some help.

11. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

The FO is very busy. They locked themselves in the facility. Busy deciding their first pick;

[​IMG]

12. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

Why would Brees leave one of the best teams and coaches in the NFL to come to the Jets? Stop sniffing that glue my friend.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Ok my friend would you be willing to agree to this?
    1.) The Jets should draft a QB in the 2018 draft in hopes this QB is a future franchise QB.
    2.) McCown remains as the opening day starter and also mentors said future QB in the West Coast offense.
    3.) Jets get rid of Petty and Hack and get a QB backup and also possible mentor that knows the West coast Offense.

I hope you can agree at least on 2 out of 3.

14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Great Post and I've said the same thing..

Telling the rest of this Board that there is a 30% + chance of failure means certain doom for 5 out of 10 posters who reply to what you just said lmao

15. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Give it up Contrails ...there is nothing to defend here or apologize for ..my stats came from another poster Greensleeves about first Round QB success ..so you might want to look up his Posts

Whoever you are talking to is someone I ignore ...if you feel like a victim time to report or ignore too!! You will never win here..just get aggravated

#255 NYJetsO12, Jan 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I totally agree with your #1.

I partially agree with your #2. I don't think that McCown should definitely remain as the starter. I think McCown should be brought back. Whether he serves as backup or starter should depend upon the rookie. I see three possible scenarios in that situation.

1. If the rookie has a handle on the offense and is clearly ready to start day one, then he should start. Why would/should the Jets want to start McCown in that scenario?

2. If the rookie isn't quite ready to start, either because he hasn't adjusted to the speed of the NFL or hasn't learned the offense yet, then McCown should start until the rookie is ready. The Jets should then do everything they can to insure that the rookie gets ready during the season. He should get extra work with the QB Coach and OC, and he should continue to get at least 40% of the snaps in practice once the season begins.

3. If it's clear that the rookie should sit for a year, then McCown should start.

IMO as long as the Jets have McCown, they don't have to rush the rookie onto the field or throw him to the wolves, and they have a solid mentor in McCown. If the rookie is capable of starting however, then he should. That will speed his development and learning process, and McCown will still be there as mentor and backup.

With regards to your #3, Petty should definitely be gone, both for the team's and Petty's benefit. While I doubt if Hack will develop, I think it's still waaaaaaaaaaay too early to give up on him. He's only 22. If the Jets draft a QB in the 1st round and another in a middle or lower round, then fine, Hack should have to compete with that rookie for the 3rd and final QB spot on the roster, and if he loses the competition, he's gone. But I think the Jets should probably give him one more season, and use the pick they would have used on him, to improve depth and talent on the team, even if it's just on a return man or role player with unique abilities/potential.

17. I thought for sure this would finally be the year where there’d be a consensus that QB was the right course of action for the team to pursue in round 1 of the upcoming draft.

Unfortunately people’s impatience & conservatism is more apparent than ever.

If you aren’t willing to accept the risk,Alloted draft pick or any other resources associated w resolving the QB issue..you have no reason to complain about the QB position,drafting other positions or the product on the field.

The team can just continue to ignore the offense & passing game..keep chasing their tails building up front & on the defense.Sure we’ll go .500 at best every single year but hey fans don’t wanna face the reality of the QB position’s importance & what’s necessary to acquire one capable of being a FQB.Simple As that

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

Idk how people could argue against taking a QB round 1 unless we get Kirk, and even if we get Kirk I still think it would be smart to grab a QB with our first for insurance. I'm just going to say this, if we go into the 2018 with McCown as our starting QB because we didn't pursue any other option I might quit the team.

19. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

If the Jets go with QB at #6, he should start day 1. Look around the league, most of the QBs that end up being good, are able to start right away. This concept of sitting for a year or two is outdated. Good players can make it from day 1.

The Jets should do everything in their power to set up the QB to succeed. Upgrade the Oline, RB and WRs to help the new QB play well.

FlaJet and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

We need a thread on who will leave the team if the jets don't select a QB in the first round lol ... none of you guys actually mean it. Bowles got an extension, few fans freaked out said they were leaving, but they are posting in this very topic right now!

All Gas No Shake and FJF like this.