Free Agency Targets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFanInPA, Dec 28, 2017.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You may not need a stud QB to win titles, but it's the most likely way, and any team should do everything they can to give them the best chances of winning. Settling for an average to good QB and then hoping/thinking they can get good enough (lucky really) one year to win is (or should be) a fireable offense and pretty delusional. It's the dumbest possible way to build a team, and should only be a last resort.

2. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I would call the 22% that become middle of the pack players a waste if you are spending a 1st round pick on them. A QB like Tyrod Taylor is not worth a 1st round pick.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Well, that's certainly your prerogative, but having that stability at the most important position has to be worth something over bringing in a new JAG QB every year or so who has to learn the offense or developing timing/chemistry with his offensive teammates. The Jets haven't even had a middle of the pack QB since Chad. I could live with one of them for the next 5-10 years, but cannot stomach any more of the yearly never-was, over-the-hill JAGS the Jets have been trotting out at QB.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

And yet Taylor's team is in the playoffs. Do you think the Jets would've made it if Taylor had been playing for them instead of McCown/Petty?

And if they wound up with an "average" QB instead of an elite one, they could target another one in a future draft, meanwhile, they'd be better off than they are now.

5. The Waterboy

If a QB like Taylor is stability then they wouldn't have been thinking about letting him walk or they wouldn't have let Peterman get the 1 start.

You are also neglecting an important part of this discussion, it isn't about just what QB they have, it is spending a 1st round pick on that middling QB

FJF likes this.
  6. The Waterboy

No, the Jets would not be in the playoffs with Taylor as QB which I am pretty sure supports what I am saying.

7. ColoradoContrails

But you don;t KNOW that they're "middling" going in. Of course, if you grade all of them as "middling" and you decide to use your first pick that's not smart, but presumably, if you take a QB with your first pick you've graded him out as FQB-potential. Now he may turn out "middling", or even a bust, but that's the inherent risk. But you also won't get an elite QB by continually passing on the chance.

8. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Waiting to see if all the media types who had nasty things to say about Doug Marrone (Metha) and pundits who wrote that a team can't win with Bortles at QB are lining up to admit they were wrong. Maybe they will leave the decisions to the professionals in the future.

9. ColoradoContrails

Why do you say that? There's a good chance they would've won a couple of games they lost with McCown and Petty, and that would've put them in the hunt at least.

tbruner12 likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

The professionals aren't always right either. Scrutiny and criticism can help improve teams too.

11. The Waterboy

If you want to keep changing what we are talking about we can end up talking about faked moon landings. My post, that you responded to, questioned NYJetsO12 and his claim that 67% of 1st round QBs are good QBs that will stick. I have no problem with taking a 1st round QB if the right one is there but lets not be delusional thinking that there is a 2 out of 3 shot you are finding your QB of the future just because he is picked in the 1st.

TwoHeadedMonster, FJF and Walt White like this.
  12. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Only if it comes from pro's. Not fans or talk show hosts.

13. ColoradoContrails

While I didn't support NYJetsO12's stats, I did supply stats that show that 61% of QBs taken in the 1st round stick, which counters the argument that "Two thirds of QBs taken in the 1st round are busts".

There IS a 1 shot in 3 chance that you find you FQB with your 1st pick if you do due diligence and believe he's the guy. And if you miss, you still have a 22% chance that you at least get a "middling" QB to hold the fort while you continue to look.

If you want to get pissy and try to deflect what I've posted, have fun.

EDIT: Actually at 39% it's a better than 1 in three chance they become elite.

#233 ColoradoContrails, Jan 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  14. The Waterboy

Purely throwing darts to think you can say a QB that had less passing yards, less TDs and a lower passer rating, while playing more games, would win a couple of more games. Those couple more wins would have put them at 7-9 so no, not really in the hunt.

15. ColoradoContrails

Limiting info from only one source creates myopia and an "echo chmaber". Not saying that pros aren't more knowledgeable, but they sure don't have ALL the answers.

And if the fans aren't allowed to voice their opinion, and are told that it doesn't count, they won't remain fans very long. Bitching and moaning is part of being a fan.

16. ColoradoContrails

Fair enough.

17. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

Cap room. I believe that they have one of the worst cap situations around the league now.

Walt White likes this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

Understood, but if they didn't believe Mahomes was the answer they would retain Smith.

JohnnyP123456 likes this.
  19. The Waterboy

If you are going to use quotation marks, then try and put what I actually said in those quotation marks, not what you decided it meant. What I said was "about 67-70% a bad pick on a 1st round QB". A 1st round pick wasted on a "middle of the pack player", when middle of the pack players should be taken in round 2-5, is a bad pick.

I'm not getting pissy, I just don't like when people keep changing what was being discussed to suit their argument. You know, like when people put things in quotes that weren't actually posted.

20. The Waterboy

And I said 30-33%, guess I was a lot closer than NYJetsO12's 67%

FJF likes this.