Free Agency Targets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFanInPA, Dec 28, 2017.

1. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

At 6 the Jets will be picking the riskiest QB remaining of the top 3-4. WHOEVER that is.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I don't agree with the assessment that Washington has little interest in bringing him back. They've used the franchise tag on him two years in a row. To do so a third year would place an untenable cap hit on the team. They've given themselves over two years to get a deal done with him but can't because Cousins recognizes that he has supply on his side when he hits the open market.

He will be the only QB in FA that is a plug and play starting QB without significant question marks. This fact alone means he'll get overpaid as the demand for his services will be high. Washington wants him, but they don't want to overpay him. Honestly I commend them for it. But not wanting to overpay him is not the same as not wanting him. If he wanted to take less money in WAS, he could do so. He clearly would prefer to go out and get paid.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  3. Greensleeves

Greensleeves Well-Known Member

times a million!

4. Greensleeves

Greensleeves Well-Known Member

Jet's will not be picking at 6 IMO if they like a QB they will move up to at least 3 or possibly 1.

5. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Right. The last Cleveland GM was fired because he traded out of both Wentz and Watson; his replacement will likely do the same. Maybe Cleveland just keeps hiring GMs who don’t really want the job and just use it to collect unemployment.

6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I just can't figure out why people would rather give up multiple picks both this year and next year to take a chance on one of three or four guys who could either be a franchise quarterback or a bust. Why not go with the guy who is already proven he can be a good NFL quarterback, keep your picks and build a team?

almbleamal, Brook!, FJF and 1 other person like this.
  7. JetBlue

Would you rather have Carson Wentz or Kirk Cousins?

8. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

That's the thing though, I don't want the Jets to overpay him either! He's a good quarterback, he's not a great quarterback. And, he'll be 30 at the start of next year. I want the Jets to draft and develop their own guy (who they can pay a small fraction of what it would take to sign Cousins).

ColoradoContrails and xxedge72x like this.
  9. slimjasi

I get your point, but I think a couple of these quarterbacks are very unlikely to be busts. We'll see. Your point is definitely a fair one.

10. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

So you think Cousins will hand pick the Cardinals HC while a member of the Redskins or the Cardinals will wait until mid March to hire a HC?

11. BroadwayAaron

If you guaranteed me he'd be Carson Wentz when we drafted him, then Wentz. But you can't do that.

FJF likes this.
  12. BroadwayAaron

And I get the counterpoint to my argument too. I just feel like we are in such a perfect position to take a huge step forward and giving away four or five assets to take a risk can just as easily set us back years.

To me you sign Cousins, still have about $75 mil to spend, use your 6th pick on a pass rusher or OL (or if the gods smile upon us, Barkley) then use your two second round picks to fill out whatever between pass rush/OL you need to fill out.

All Gas No Shake and FJF like this.
  13. JetBlue

Great quarterbacks are never available on free agency once they have proven to be great. The only way to get a great quarterback is to take a risk drafting them.

You are essentially admitting you would rather toil in mediocrity with good quarterbacks rather than take a chance to get a great quarterback that can make you great. I find that to be a silly philosophy.

Let’s reframe the question — would you rather take a chance with an unknown Wentz or a guarteed Cousins and save the picks for an unknown Blair Thomas, Vernon Gholston and Dwayne Robertson?

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  14. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I want the Jets to draft someone too. But I also think they need to do their due diligence. Simply ignoring Cousins because of draft preference is a dangerous game for the team to play considering our history at the position.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

15. slimjasi

I'm not convinced that Cousins is a FQB who you can consistently win with, and given that, I'm of the opinion that you always do everything you can to draft a FQB until you have one. But, I don't hate your plan and it could certainly work out.

16. slimjasi

I'm sure they will, but if I were a betting man, I'd bet against them giving Cousins 30 M per year.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. Chappy13

Chappy13 Active Member

I agree, Slim. But I think they have to look at all avenues, to make sure they get this thing
    right. There will be jobs on the line, if they fail in that respect.

18. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

How do people think the CB position should be addressed in free agency? Should Claiborne be brought back and, if so, at what cost. Should they retain Skrine or cut him?

My plan would be to let Claiborne walk in favor of a Malcolm Butler, Trumaine Johnson or Rashaan Melvin while retaining Skrine, Then, draft another CB on Day 2 and see what develops among that pick, Roberts, Burris, Robsinson, Jones, and Clark. I want this team to be a contender next year, but don't want to lose the focus on young talent

19. BroadwayAaron

That's not even close to true. And maybe you thinking it's true is why you think it's a silly philosophy. Let's look...

Eli - other than the luckiest catch of all time, he rode his defense to rings.
    Flacco - got the job done, certainly wasn't elite, but rode his defense to a ring.
    Kaepernick - a total gimmick QB, clearly not a franchise guy, but rode the defense to a ring.

You see the trend here... you don't NEED a stud QB to win titles. Yes, of course you WANT one but if you can put a good team around a legitimate starting QB in this league, you can go places. And in our current situation with tons of money and some good picks, I MUCH prefer to go with the legit starter (because that's what Cousins is) and then use the remaining $75 mil to fill out the roster with talent on both ends of the ball while still using 3 picks in the first 2 rounds to draft some youth. It's the absolute best case scenario.

20. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

keep claibrone and lock him in. keep skrine at least 1 more year as a nickle back. we have the money to keep his contract on the books and the depth behind him is lacking. we need to sign a number 2 CB as well. i'd love to grab butler or johnson. there are like 4-5 good #2 Cbs on the market under 30 years old we need to grab at least one

NYJetsO12 likes this.