Mac looks good after player purge (How X Jets are doing)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Oct 2, 2017.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

pretty sure petty got his shot last year and outside of a few nice deep balls to anderson, didn't look like an NFL starter

2. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

The whole fucking team looked like they didn't belong last year.

3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

enunwa and anderson and powell all broke out last year so not sure what that is supposed to mean. petty just didn't look good

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

5. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

What's the point of playing him in a blowout? You want to put him in actual game situations that matter to see how he performs. In a blowout, it'll just be handing off to the running backs again and again and again. If either Petty or Hack are viewed as potential QBs of the future, it is critical to get them as much experience as possible now - let them make their mistakes now when they don't matter rather than in a year when it does matter (where you hope to be playoff bound). Let them get experience now so you can figure out whether either is your franchise QB of the future or not. Playing McCown is an absolutely colossal waste. I think Bowles has, all in all, been an OK young head coach learning how to be a head coach, with the mistakes that go along with any young head coach. If he keeps playing McCown beyond the patriots game (where I expect the Jets to get blown out) then he should be fired immediately - they shouldn't even wait until the end of the season.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

The only point in playing him in a blowout would be to get him some actual experience and playing time with the starters in this offense. As far as evaluating him, it would serve little purpose as the Jets would probably be running the ball on 1st and 2nd downs, and quite likely 3rd downs as well, but even if they passed on 3rd down, it would be stacking the deck against him.

You're right this season is the time to be playing him, letting him make mistakes, see how he learns, handles things and if he looks like he can be their QB going forward. He should have been starting since week 3. He would have been well enough following his injury and would have had the easier games on the schedule to settle in before the tougher games got here.

The only thing I disagree with is regarding Bowles. Until the last 2-3 games, he has shown me little in the way of being a good HC or of learning and improving in the job. I still think he should have been fired following last season. Some posters on here are acting like he's a great HC now just because he's finally preparing good game plans and has the players prepared to play each week (for the last 3 weeks), when those are just the basic responsibilities of the HC's job and anyone who gets hired to be HC should be able to do from day one, not 3 weeks into his 3rd season as HC.

7. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

Bowles did take a pretty mediocre collection of talent to 10-6 in his first year and last year the Jets were decimated by injuries and had Fitzpatrick revert to the terrible QB he always was. I kept saying during the 10-6 year (and you can find my posts on various Gang Green forums) that Fitzpatrick wasn't good, he was just lucky. He was consistently throwing into double and triple coverage and the defenders kept dropping or missing the various interception opportunities. Resigning Fitzpatrick to that contract (when nobody else wanted him) was on Mac, not Bowles. If Mac resigned him then Bowles really had no choice but to play him, so I don't think you can really blame Bowles for Fitzpatrick reverting to Fitzpatrick or the injuries. Even when they were bad last year though, they generally did play hard for Bowles. He's also made a fair number of mistakes, but I think all young head coaches do.

8. NCJetsfan

I think the Jets' success in 2015 was more a product of a career year from Fitz, and the comarderie that he, Decker and Marshall had than anything Bowles did. When Fitz and the offense played well in 2015, the Jets usually won. When they didn't play well, the Jets usually lost.

Sorry, but imo you're dead wrong about re-signing was on Mac, not Bowles. Bowles announced the minute the 2015 season was over that Fitz was his starting QB and he wanted him back. Mac showed how little he thought of Fitz with his initial offer. Fitz coming back was totally on Bowles, Marshall, Decker, Mangold and Woody.

Yeah, the team played hard for Bowles last year. That's why half of them had quit on the team by mid-season, yet Bowles kept trotting them out there.

We're totally gonna have to disagree on this post. I don't think you could possibly be more wrong.

9. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

None of the players we cut make me say I wish we kept him.
    Kudos to Mac for doing such a fast, and good job of house cleaning.

Sheldon Richardson, Seattle Seahawks: He has played 69 percent of the defensive snaps for one of the best defenses in the NFL, but he hasn't made many impact plays -- no sacks, one forced fumble and one interception.

S Marcus Gilchrist, Houston Texans: He has rebounded from a devastating knee injury last December to become a contributor (67 percent of the snaps) -- one interception and one sack -- but would you rather have him or Marcus Maye? I thought so.

WR Eric Decker, Tennessee Titans: He plays a lot (83 percent), but Decker hasn't been very productive -- 23 catches, 229 yards and no touchdowns. At least his wife's career is flourishing in Nashville.

RT Breno Giacomini, Texans: He recovered from back surgery and has played every snap, a credit to his toughness, but Giacomini has struggled mightily. He has surrendered 42 pressures, the most among 73 qualified tackles, according to Pro Football Focus.

LB David Harris, New England Patriots: Harris has been a bench-warmer (9 percent of the snaps) for the first time in his career, but his role could grow now that Dont'a Hightower is out for the season.

WR Brandon Marshall, New York Giants: He was a non-factor (15 catches, 154 yards, no touchdowns) before a season-ending ankle injury.

PK Nick Folk, free agent: He kicked his way out of a job, missing five field goals in four games for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

S Calvin Pryor, Jacksonville Jaguars: Injured reserve. He got cut by the Cleveland Browns after fighting with a teammate, leaving his career on life support.

C Nick Mangold, free agent: It wouldn't be a surprise if he retires in the offseason.

CB Darrelle Revis, free agent: See Mangold.

LT Ryan Clady, retired: Too many injuries.

tiger8mush, Chrisiue, Kris 15 and 2 others like this.
  10. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

Richardson has been pretty good with Seattle. Numbers don't pop off the screen but he ties up blockers and creates lanes for the other pass rushers. I think Seattle fans are pretty happy with him. That said, I'm still thrilled with the trade considering we've pretty much replaced him with Ealy, who would presumably be cheaper to re-sign after the season. Kearse has been a great veteran presence on offense and the second rounder will be huge come draft time. Mac did really well there.

Not much to say about the other guys, although we definitely need to upgrade the C position for next year. Wesley Johnson is a hard worker but he's easily the weakest link on the OL currently.

11. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I think that Johnson will be our long term starter, based on the type of scheme jets use. Honestly while I agree that he is the weakest link, the holes have been there for the jets RBs, problem is that the 2 RBs that should be featured don't get enough carries during the game to exploit the lanes opened up by the zone blocking scheme.

Forte should be cut next year and Powell and Mguire should be the 2 guys getting 15 carries a piece.

12. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Marcus Williams wasn’t a smart cut.

BomberJet, Peebag and The Dark Knight like this.
  13. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

I would argue that that forced fumbles and interceptions are impact plays. But I still agree with the narrative. This season looked like a shit sandwich and EVERYONE was going to have to bite off a mushy part. But the joke is on us, the fans. Mac is getting the last laugh with this.

The Jets are actually MORE talented than last season because the 2016 draft is finally starting to contribute coupled with the 2017 draft hitting the ground running. This success is all about the youth movement paying dividends.

Not to mention, Mac has assembled a war chest in the process. The team has huge FA coffers. Mac will be active in FA next March and in future years as well.

They also have extra picks in the draft a well? They got a 2nd rounder out of Sheldon (a genius miracle as far as I am concerned), and he's probably going to get a few compensatory picks. Those also can now be traded. He'll have the ammunition necessary to trade up for a QB quite possibly?

This team still has a LONG way to go before they become a SB contender, but the early results of this rebuild are very encouraging.

blackssmagic and NYJetsO12 like this.
  14. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

yeah cutting Williams was penny wise dollar foolish, especially after dealing McDougle.

hard to argue the job Mac did this offseason on the whole though.
    i guess Mangold isn't healthy. If so he'd definitely be an upgrade over Johnson.
    I'd have liked to keep Harris and Decker, but obviously they are near the end of career.

dumping Pryor was great (and getting Davis back has been a surprising bonus).
    moving on from Brandon Marshall and Richardson has helped the culture change.

but more important than the subtractions will be the additions, and that has been encouraging as well.

blackssmagic likes this.
  15. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

I was thinking about the OL, and C, and how they may address it in the future myself.

They gave Jonothan Harrison a look during camp, and Dozier. If they don't believe that Harrison/Dozier can overtake Johnson upgrading there might be a move they make. Then you make Johnson your swing C/G replacement. Shell gets another year under his belt and they continue to get better there, at the minimum

#115 Walt White, Nov 5, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    Red Menace likes this.
  16. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Who cares

17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

A rookie GM that's getting better at deals...future looks promising

A rookie HC who hired a better staff and OC.....future looks ...dunno dunno..we will have to see

18. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Marcus wasn't having a good camp and he arguably was the most hated CB beside Skrine. Plus having two smallish corners when the Jets wanted to be more physical probably was the way they wanted to go. Also Skrine had veteran experience ...Jets didn't want to give the job to Burris and Roberts full time initially (and Burris has struggled out the gate so far).

19. zace

zace Well-Known Member

No, but he wasn't a bad one either

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

blackssmagic and Chrisiue like this.
  20. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The biggest difference between last year and this year isn't young talent. It's that McCown is playing like 2015 Fitz instead of 2016 Fitz. If McCown was playing the way he usually plays, we wouldn't be 4-5 and we'd be talking about tanking for the first pick instead of how well the rebuild is going.