Mac looks good after player purge (How X Jets are doing)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Oct 2, 2017.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Alex Smith would be prohibitive unless you were going to go with him as your FQB for the next 4-5 years - he's not a stopgap guy.

Until I see Petty play and proves himself to be incapable as a starter, I'll reserve complete judgment, but from the little I've seen, I would think he can do at least as good as McCown, if not better. Hedging my bet, I could see going with McCown, Petty, and a draftee, which is what they should've done this year except that Macc won't let go of Hack unless you pry him from his cold, dead fingers.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

IMO McCown should not be re-signed under any circumstances (barring his leading us to the SB). Petty should be able to start or maybe even Hack could start next year if the rookie can't start day one.

edray10 likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

Of course it isn't ideal. That's why it shouldn't happen. This year is for developing young players and determining who can help us going forward. That means they must actually step on the field and play, not sit on the bench. If Bowles plays McCown all year, the mfer should be shot. Petty should have at least 6 more games of starting experience by next season, and even Hack should have at least 4-6 games.

I totally disagree that it would be great to keep McCown around 1 more year, unless it's as an assistant QB Coach. At some point, you have to move on from the freaking JAG QBs. If Petty and Hack aren't capable of playing next year, then Bowles, Bates, Morton, and maybe Mac and his scouts should all be fired.

Signing Alex Smith would be beyond dumb imo. If you sign him, you're paying him big $s, and he'll be starting for 3-4 years (or the length of his contract, and I doubt that he would sign a one- or two-year contract. I doubt that he would sign here anyway. The Jets would have one of the youngest teams and one of the oldest QBs. At some point, you have to let your young QBs play and develop. Better to do it while the team is young and developing than wait until the team is ready to rock and roll, and then be held back by a young QB who's learning on the job. This year and next year are the time to play the young QBs.

#63 NCJetsfan, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    Yankjetfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

He's literally stop-gapping this season hence why he will be available next season. Petty hasn't shown anything worth putting your franchise around him. I'd rather keep the unknown in hack, then the already known in petty. he will never start in the NFL

5. GasedAndConfused

It's fine to keep McCown for a year as a mentor. he doesn't even need to be active on gameday, you pay him to help acclimate the young QBs as it stands now 100% we won't see both petty and hack start a game. at best 1 may start way later in the season. This isn't baseball where you rotate pitchers.

and for smith, I doubt he comes here but if he would agree to a 1 year deal, i'd gladly take him. it's hard to evaluate young WRs when their QB sucks so it's a catch-22.

6. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Yeah, he's in a situation that is just right for him with Reed and the Chiefs, and your point about his age is valid. Too late for our team.

Cousins would be a better option IF signing a vet is a plan, and he could develop with Morton, and the younger guys going forward. A couple more draft picks and a FA or two and the O takes on a whole different look.

#66 Walt White, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    TonyFtLaud likes this.
  7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

As long as we draft a QB in the first round, I don't care if we re-sign McCown to another one year deal as long as McCown knows he'll be the backup. If Bowles has any sense, he'll play Petty and/or Hack this year, and if they fail they don't have to be on the team next year. I agree it would be stupid to sign a 34 year old and expensive Alex Smith.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Smith isn't really an option.
    He is playing great and if he keeps it up could be in contention for MVP.
    The Chiefs are going to want a day 2 pick for him and there are alot of QB hungry teams right now.
    Giving up a high draft pick for the one year rental of an expensive, 34 year old QB really makes no sense.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. GasedAndConfused

They are likely just gonna cut him, he said so himself. teams know this and aren't going to give up a high pick for a 34 year old QB and take on his 15 million dollar salary for 1 year. chiefs will save 17 million by cutting him.

10. TonyFtLaud

It's possible that they cut him, but very unlikely. What he said was
    "I think the Chiefs are committed to me through this year, that’s just the nature of it. If you don’t go out there and perform, I mean, coach Reid and coach Nagy are very honest. You’ve got to go out there and do your deal. We all have to.Whether or not we drafted Patrick, it doesn’t change that, right? If you’re not good enough and didn’t get it done, you’re not going to be around long. That’s just our culture. I know it. That’s the nature of the position.”
    He played pretty well last season and is playing lights out through the first quarter of this season.
    Mahomes is a project and we have no Idea if he will be ready to start next year.
    As far as his salary, $15 million is alot less than he will get in Free Agency. Like I said, if he continues to play at the same level he is at now. There will be a big demand for him. There are alot of QB desperate teams in the league and the prospects in the draft are not living up to the hype so far this year. His value has increased alot since the draft and that interview quoted above.
    The Chiefs are in a great place right now. Their plans have far exceeded their expectations.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

After K.C. brass traded up to draft Patrick Mahomes in the first round, Smith knew the score. The 33-year-old quarterback said before the season during an interview on In Depth with Graham Bensinger, he understands the expectation is that he'll be playing elsewhere next year.

then look at the cap, as of now they are 800k over the cap to start next season. their highest paid player is smith who would save 17mil by getting cut. 2mil is a roster bonus which is due the 1st day of the official start of the offseason so it's likely he'll be cut before then. plus the cheifs aren't the type to dick players around and hold him for a trade. I'm sure they have a lot of respect for smith. they will do like the colts did with manning and let him walk and pick his own team. My best guess would be denver. there are also far less teams wanting a 34 year old QB out there then you think.

12. TonyFtLaud

You could be right but a 34 year old QB playing as well or better than any QB in the league has much more value than Manning had as a nearly crippled QB playing as bad as the worst QBs in the league. I think there will be more Demand for Smith than you do. A FQB for 4 -5 years is something several teams would jump at. Could allow time to develop a rookie behind him.
    If KC can get a draft pick for him, they will. It's not dicking him around. It's just good business, something Smith understands well.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

He's here mentoring Petty and Hack this year. Petty and Hack could pass on whatever grains of wisdom McCown and Fitz passed along. Mentors can help, but it's primarily the QB Coach's responsibility and to a lesser degree the OC and HC to help develop the QB.

If our young WRs get a chance to play this year, the Jets should be able to evaluate them. That's why they should be playing now instead of Kerley and to some degree Kearse.

Red Menace likes this.
  14. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Manning won an MVP and a bunch of single season records in Denver, and I think he was almost 38 at the time.
    Would have been back to back MVPs but Adrian Peterson had a monster year on his comeback.

15. GasedAndConfused

you don't throw rookies in when you have better young veterans. I kinda agree on kerly, i'd like to see stewart get more snaps then him. But no way do i sit kearse. he's young and can be here for years to come. we also get enunwa back and anderson is getting plenty of reps as well. throw in stewart and it's a solid core that just lacks that superstar number 1 WR

as far as passing along info, that doesn't work very well. If hack and petty got it by now, they'd be starting. I can't see either of them having anything good to pass along to a younger player currently

16. NCJetsfan

You most certainly do throw rookies in over vets when you're rebuilding and you need to find out who is going to be able to help you going forward and you're trying to develop young players, and especially when those rookies have more speed and potential than the vets. They need to play to develop. The Jets know what Kearse can do, and they know he'll be back and a solid part of their WR corps. They need to find out about Hansen and Stewart and help them develop while McCown is still starting. It's about time for Petty to start playing.

I wouldn't sit Kearse totally. He would be my starter, but I'd work Hansen in during the game more, and if the Jets were either comfortably ahead or way behind, I'd sit Kearse and Kerley, let Hansen and Stewart get all the reps.

17. GasedAndConfused

kearse is a young player and potentially part of the future. he also has a potential out after this season in his contract or we can take the 5 mil next year salary so they need to see how he fits in the offensive scheme and figure out how much eh's worth to the team as well. it makes no sense to sit a much better player to see what young players can do. that's what camp and practice and preseason is for. in the regular season you "play to win" and field your best players. You don't throw out worse players so the fans can see them perform.

18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

It won't be so easy for the Chiefs to cut Smith, considering they have no idea if Mahomes can actually play. Smith is playing like a top 10 QB right now. Imagine if they cut him and Mahomes turns out to be a bust.

19. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Yeah, they're in the hunt for the division, and things are going well with Smith. How the season unfolds will help determine their future plans. They may very well want to continue with him.

#79 Walt White, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    Red Menace and HomeoftheJets like this.
  20. NCJetsfan

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

There's enough film on Kearse from his career that the Jets know what he can do and how he fits. As I said, I wouldn't bench him, but would start taking some of his reps away in practice and in games.

It makes PERFECT sense when you're rebuilding a roster and trying to determine who can help you going forward and then trying to develop those players as quickly as possible. The idea that practice and preseason is enough is simply laughable.

This season isn't just about wins and losses. For the umpteenth time, it's about developing their young players. What don't you get about that?

You don't know that Stewart or Hansen are worse. With a little more practice reps and playing time in games, they may quickly show that they're better than both Kearse and Kerley. I didn't say anything about throwing out worse players so the fans can see them. Now you're being ridiculous and reaching for shit to try to back up your perspective and you're just making yourself look worse. You should stop while you're behind.