Petty: "I'm the #1 Qb"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Sep 15, 2017.

1. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

In your opinion.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

3 TDs, 7 INTs, 56% completion is bad. There isn't an argument against that. It's factually bad.

Jets69 likes this.
  3. xxedge72x

If you don't look at any context, sure. Here's a few points:

1) The wheels had fallen off the train by the time Petty got his shot. Injuries, garbage offensive line play, many second stringers starting; Petty wasn't exactly put in a position primed to succeed.

2) Despite all that, the Jets offense actually improved when he came in vs what Fitzpatrick had been doing previously. Bad stats or not, Petty provided a spark the offense desperately needed.

3) He's a young player with a lot of potential. If you're convinced he sucks then no one is going to change your mind, but regardless of your feeling, real issue here isn't whether Petty is good or not, the issue is that Bowles is going to lifelessly go through the motions and waste time and reps on a guy who we know 100% has no future with this team simply based on his age. Petty may not end up as the long term starter however it doesn't mean he can't be a valuable backup for the Jets for a long time. In lieu of this team having no shot, they should be giving him every rep possible. Anything Bowles thinks McCown can do for this team is pure delusion.

ajax and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i feel like we have made the same excuses for geno and sanchez.

HomeoftheJets and Jets69 like this.
  5. BroadwayAaron

How many times are we going to do this with our bad QBs?

HomeoftheJets, Jets69 and FJF like this.
  6. xxedge72x

What choice do we have right now?

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

My point is that while Jackson might be better - and we'll see - there's no guarantee the Jets get him (if that's who they want). And I don't think the Chiefs are overhauling Mahomes's mechanics - fine tuning, sure, like all college QBs get - but there are some guys whose mechanics you don't really mess with because they've found a way to make them work - Mahomes is one of these guys. You watched all the tape posted here, and saw his results in pre-season, right? I get that you love Adams and "D", but this team would so much better with Mahomes on the roster, it's not even close.

8. ColoradoContrails

So, back up YOUR point.

As to supporting Petty, he didn't look good in garbage time last year when the team had entirely quit - Joe Namath wouldn't have looked good then either. But he did come in - FINALLY! - this preseason and showed he can move the team; that he can read defenses; that he can check at the line - all things that the Savior Jesus Hackenberg failed to do.

And few here, if any, are saying that Petty is the FQB, but might be good enough to be the starter until they do. Sanchez almost took them to the SB twice when he had a good team around him, and I think Petty is better than Sanchez.

If you can provide some facts to support your conclusion, I'm open to hearing them.

9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Nice thing is, Macc and Blowes will let Petty go once his rookie deal is up after 2018. We'll find out then who was right.

10. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Now now, you know he's a future HOF QB, we saw his star potential in preseason, against vanilla 2nd and 3rd string defenses, this will carry on all season long

11. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Exactly. Watson had a decent showing Thursday night and got the win. But he leaned on DeAndre Hopkins, throwing to him 13 times. Because he is such a good receiver, he won a lot of battles and made some critical receptions. If Watson didn't have Hopkins as his security blanket it would have meant more 3 and outs, very likely a loss, and the football media would be saying Watson is a bust.

12. ColoradoContrails

I didn't see that game, but Watson DID complete the passes, right? "Somehow" Watson seems to succeed. I wonder why?

13. PulseJet

True. But there have been enough successful QB's that have had stats like the above early that then went on to very productive careers that your point has zero merit.

If the Giants used your standard they would have benched and cut Eli.

#53 PulseJet, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  14. PulseJet

Not taking anything away from Watson. I saw the game and he looked pretty good. Just making the point that if he had the Jets receivers he wouldn't look nearly as good.

15. ColoradoContrails

I sure can't argue that! Still, I would much rather have Watson than Hack - not saying that was even considered by Macc, but I think the team would be better off, and yes, even without Adams, but having Watson instead. Of course, I would've taken Mahomes over Watson, but Watson would've been a nice "consolation prize".

16. PulseJet

After seeing Hacks lack of progress in the offseason I agree with you. Watson would be better than Hack. Actually a lot of QB's drafted in the last few years look better than he did at this stage.

ajax and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. BroadwayAaron

I gave you the facts, you chose to ignore them and point towards two preseason games where Petty moved the ball against third stringers and guys playing in the CFL (if they are lucky).

I mean if you're gonna operate this way then you can literally never pay attention to bad games from a young QB. I don't think that's a good way to run a team.

18. zace

zace Well-Known Member

The Mongols

19. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Still not his biggest fan but let him play and let hack play.

20. zace

zace Well-Known Member

He looked dazed and confused against a bad Bengals team