Training Camp Cuts - Possible Pickups

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Aug 25, 2017.

1. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I would think his value is only rising the way he's been playing. Just think Jets are tired of the distractions and shady past. If they can get a 3rd round pick with the other team on the hook for his salary, it would be a no brainer.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

All I know is that our next head coach better be offensive minded. Kotite was the last head coach we had with an offensive minded background. And as bad as he was, that was over 20 years ago. It's no surprise that this god damn franchise has been handcuffed by shitty offenses.

Meanwhile teams around the league have caught onto the fact that the rules have been skewed in favor of the offense for more than a decade and have tried to build their teams accordingly. It just seems like we're the only friggain franchise in the NFL still trying to reconstruct the '85 Bears.

4. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

that team had an offensive head coach/ kick- ass named mike ditka. actually played tight end in the league.

we have a former safety, so naturally, we focused on that position last draft.

5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if something is going on with Mo Wilks...., as in a trade. I don't get the sense Sheldon is going anywhere as he is playing light out and with the kind of drive Mo does not seem yo have.

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I beg to differ. The right move would've been to keep Mangold, and draft Mahomes, and then Maye.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I guess the plan is to let all the quarterbacks on this roster struggle through this year while the young receivers develop and are ready for the real quarterback prospect to come in next year with a bunch of experienced yet young second year offensive players ready to go.

Tough to ignore how ineptly this offense really has been built. We better see 7-8 draft picks next year translated into offensive players though. Every pick after the quarterback is selected better be an offensive lineman, a tightend or a runningback.

boozer32, FJF and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. hwismer

hwismer Active Member

Seven teams made waivers claims for Kony Ealy

Posted by Mike Florio on August 27, 2017, 10:2

No one wanted to trade with the Patriots for defensive end Kony Ealy. But nearly 25 percent of the league was happy to claim his contract on waivers.

Seven total teams made waivers claims, according to Jane Slater of NFL Media. Beyond the Jets, who secured priority (sucking has its privileges), the Cowboys, Giants, Buccaneers, Washington, Lions, and Cardinals.

Ealy is signed through 2017, at a base salary of $800,000. He became an instant star with three sacks in Super Bowl 50. He had five in 16 games last season, which shows that he’s capable of playing well in the right system.

PulseJet and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

He'll yeah.
    He was a great QB in Middle School !!!!

10. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Solid pickup

No need to bash the Jets because he isn't an o-lineman, we're doing what we can at this point

Its's been pretty clear that the Jets are tanking this season, the sooner people embrace it the better. Just hope the young guys make some progress because its going to be a long season

boozer32 likes this.
  11. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

I never said I thought Kony was in Sheldon's car. It's just interesting that the last time Sheldon got in trouble he was with his cousins back home (not even sure if it was cousins, I barely remember the report) and now he's got a cousin coming and playing with him. Obviously whoever he was with was a bad influence on him, and nothing says Kony is a bad influence.

Not even a Sheldon hater, I think fans should stay out of the personal business of the players as much as players should stay out of trouble. I only care about the football team.

12. TonyFtLaud

Well said.
    We knew it was going to be bad. I think some are finally coming to see how bad. We still had posters predicting 10 wins, playoffs, I think the realization is setting in.
    They will ignore the fact that no O lineman have hit the waiver wire yet.
    The addition of Early was a good move, we have not had any edge rush in years and maybe we can get consistent pressure on opposing QBs.
    The only hope this team has this season to get any wins is if the D can keep teams from scoring. They just bolstered the chance of that.

13. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

You gotta like the DLine rotation, the big 3 and then Ealy, McLendon to rotate...At least we can boast at being good at somewhere in the field.

14. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

There's a reason he's been dropped by 2 teams so early in his career. If Bellicheck can't make you play I'm pretty sure you got some issues in your game. So where exactly will he play when we have a bazillion other defensive lineman, that we've drafted for the last 10 years.

15. boozer32

Terrible pick up. Where is he gonna play? Who's playing time is getting cut? Wilkerson? Richardson? or Williams? I wish they would attack the QB, RB, TE, OT, OG, Center position with the same aggressiveness they go after defensive players. This pick up is a waste of a roster spot and even if he does well this is his free agent year. You gonna tie up big money in another defensive end when Williams and Richardson are coming up?

Jets69 likes this.
  16. TonyFtLaud

He will be playing OLB a position of need. If he plays well, maybe the Jets don't use a pick next year for an edge rusher and can use it on offense.
    Look at the NFL transaction list and name all the QBs,RBs,TEs,OTs and OGs that have been waived. I'll save you the trouble :
    QB none
    RB none
    TE Marcus Lucas Injury , Matt Lengel injury , Connor Hamlett injured
    OTs None , OGs. None.
    C Kraig Urbik injured
    Those positions should have been addressed over the past 3,4,5 years.
    Kony Early is still a good addition at an area of need.

blackssmagic likes this.
  17. bigbucks24

bigbucks24 Active Member

Over the past 3 years, Kona's sack totals have been 5, 5 and 4. Not sure that qualifies his as an elite pass rusher. He had about the same amount as Mo last year.

boozer32 likes this.
  18. boozer32

We still have cuts coming up so they can address those concerns then. Ealy is not a good edge rusher that is not his M.O and even if he were what do we do with Jenkins and Mauldin?

19. TonyFtLaud

Mauldin may be cut, he was already on the bubble and it would be no surprised if he gets released. Kony has played some olb in college and was effective when he did. He can set the edge and get after the passer.
    He should be an improvement over Anthony Johnson. Don't see how it's a terrible signing.

20. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Ok, after researching this pickup, I'm excited to see this guy on the field.